Macyspoor place to work

H Review updated:

I was fired because of my clothing all i was told was to wear black and I did the girl that I was working with wore jeans and a ratty t-shirt, which is not required dress code but I was fired with no warning it is unfair and injust i dont recommend them for an employer or otherwise.

• Mi
    Mismanaged store Burlington Aug 10, 2019

I was harassed by three "managers" Fauzia, Dee and another manager from jewelry because a complaint came in from a customer that the store was a mess - I was blamed even though I am a part time associate working less than 20 hours a week - none of these women have an HR background - I asked several times for Craig the store manager and was told he just left for the night - I recorded the entire conversation and will make sure this makes it on the internet -
    The day before I was called for having coffee on the floor and went to the executive office where a nasty woman in cosmetics reprimanded me - yet there was a coffee at the desk of a woman that does new hire intake paper how ironic - whenever they see me they say have you cleaned the fitting rooms we had a customer [censored] in a dressing room - blood all over the walls in the bra dept - theft non stop - this store is completely mismanaged by bullies - the Atty Generals office should look into this place it is dysfunctional

• Ke
    keith009 Jul 15, 2019

in-store solution is just but a joke people don't even think of getting a fair hearing or investigation, i was been harassed even when my claim was been looked into and even at our first phone call the purported investigator was not neutral but had already form opinion and defended my co-workers and future more the investigator even was the one giving me final report instead of a review by senor HR colleague.

CheatedInCheektowaga Aug 06, 2018

CheatedinCheektowaga
    I worked in the Macy's in Cheektowaga, NY full time from April 2018 till just this past July. I thought that I was doing ok I got along great with a lot of my teammates and even developed a few friendships. Their MTM is a real sweetheart and I like her a lot. But towards the end of July I was summoned into an office had a paper shoved at me to sign without being able to read it. It was a so called resignation form and the excuses that they gave are pure BS, I am a diabetic and the medication that I am on Metformin causes effects with your body chemistry giving the effect of "bad odors".
    The one manager has had it in me for years and is known to bully the younger executives, can you be barred from employment from a store just on managerial say so the store manager has it out for me as well. However many of their younger executives feel that I was royally screwed.

• Pi
    pissed off2011 Jul 13, 2016

I work at Macy's in Philadelphia and its the worst place. They have they people that they pick on and the managers are the worst they are very rude the associates and the leads as they are called are the worst in the business. I truly believe that this is a resist company to work for because you can not move up on the company of you are of color

• La
    Lauren Chron Feb 15, 2016

Macy's is a deceptive place to shop and to work at. I AVOID it like no other. I steer people away from going or working there too with lots of stores for why. Do yourself a favor and just don't apply there, open a credit card from there, or shop there. Coming from an employee who worked there, JUST DON"T! It's a lame place to shop at. You can do better. Your worth it. :-)

• Re
    Reviewer70240 Jan 26, 2016

Macys closed most of its stores in the mid-atlantic region due to the blizzard on 1/23/2016.

employees found out today, if you were scheduled for that day, you will NOT be paid.

• Re
    Reviewer34798 Jan 21, 2016

Looking for complaint department.

• Ky
    Kyle B APD Jul 09, 2015

I work loss prevention at Macy's currently and have been with the company for around a year now so I speak from personal experience when it comes to this subject. Macy's at no point in time in the duration of the time I've been employed by them has made false accusations in order to terminate a specific employee. We are trained to determine what employees get specific dedication based on behavior. At no point in time and I repeat NO point in time has any employee been suspended and or terminated based on a false accusation. Employees are terminated based on investigation as well as hours and hours of surveillance and yet still not even then without a signed admission of guilt. If you have been interviewed by Macy's Asset Protection and terminated based on the results of the interview you have caused a significant loss intentionally to the company PERIOD and therefore have no right to question the decision that was made by the company.

• Su
    Sumeet hanjra Apr 23, 2015

Worst service have not receive my parcel sent from Canada 3 months ago I do not have any tracking no but that was gift send by my husband waiting for the parcel till

Jonetta Wilder Jan 05, 2015

I worked for Macy's Macon (Georgia) and was terminated for attendance points. Haven't been late since September and hardly ever called out. My mother became sick, surviving a stroke early December, leaving her hospitalized still today. Because of my situation, I was forced to call out of work considering, I had to do some important things for with her paperwork and all. It was on the 20th of December. I also had points deducted on the 24th and 29th. I was terminated by AST and my department manger only TWO days later, when the policy is you have 14 days to adjust your attendance points. The previous week, AST spread rumors around the store to associates that she "couldn't wait to fire me" and DID SO THE FOLLOWING WEEK..Not following company's procedures, and the Store manager was aware and DID ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT IT...I don't recommend anyone to work for this company. They'll throw you under the bus and never look back...And I'm not the only associate, AST has wrongfully terminated. I will honestly convince all my clients and customers to no longer support this company.

• Mi
    Michelle2 Mar 01, 2014

Managers mistreat employees by abusing them, not paying them, termination even though you submit two weeks notice, paying low hourly wage, constantly criticizing you, harassing you in private, and telling you that if you don't open Macy accounts they will fire and terminate you, lousy treatment and stupid management who are rude and show favoritism.

• Ga
    gallagherc314 Oct 01, 2013

I purchased some items from the Macy's store in the Eastland town center location on Hamilton Rd near Canal Winchester Oh 43110 (where I live). While there they offered me a Macy's card and I applied and received acceptance. I proceeded to purchase some additional items on the card. I then waited as instructed to receive my card by mail and my bill/statement and account information. It never came. I attempted to call their customer service but the number I found was not working. I went online but could not set up account to pay bill because they required the account number I never received. About a month after I got the card, even before the bill was actually due, I received a call from their collections department. I was running late to class and was unable to talk at the time. I did briefly explain that I did not have account info to pay bill online but if he would set up a phone appointment with me I would talk to him later and pay over the phone. He never called. I attempted to call back the number he called me from but that number did not all for incoming calls where I could pay my bill. I then started receiving calls from that number at all types of hours, always when I was either in class or at work (times when my phone was either off or I was not allowed to answer it). However, when I did find a number online that allowed me to speak to a customer service agent. They said that they were sending me mail and none was being returned to them so I was hard out of luck. I could call in and pay my bill and they would send me another card by mail/bill by mail but they could not provide me my account information any other way even though we already established that them sending me mail was not working and that with my school and work schedule I was unable to call in to pay my bill because they were closed when ever I was available. The only other option I open to me to keep up with my payments would be online but I couldn't do that without my account number which they refused to provide me with. So my complaint is three fold: 1. Continual harassing phone calls at inappropriate times of the day and night. 2. Not providing an itemized bill/any bill/account information required to be able to pay my bill on time or to verify charges. 3. Unhelpful/inflexible and outright rude behavior not only from the customer service agents but from the supervisor/manager in charge. Even after I was finally able to pay my bill over the phone the agents/supervisor was unwilling to accommodate me or help me in any way. In fact they were so rude and outrageous in their disrespect that I am logging this complaint against them when in the 35 years of my life I have NEVER attempted or even contemplated making such a complaint despite the general rudeness one naturally encounters from various customer service agents over the years.

Anonx Jun 26, 2013

This guy is the manager at the Montgomery Mall Macy's Home Store in Maryland. http://host-47.242.54.159.gannett.com/news/article/185984/373/More-Than-100000-Missing-From-Regional-Emmys and meanwhile hardworking and honest employees heads are rolling under his "leadership" due to his lies and dishonesty. Really Macy's? Seriously? Is this a way to run a business?

Sales Associate - Current May 22, 2013

I have worked for Macy's for 2 years. Yes there are incidents of outrageous bullying by some associates, but there are also some terrific and caring associates who work there. In truth, it is all about the associate's "Scorecard", and that comes from corporate. Yes, you need to get your credits. My job is in sales, and one thing that I am supposed to sell is the Macy's credit card. I've had weeks where I only got 1 credit, but I've also had weeks where I got 10 credits, so it all balances out. Sometimes I come in at 50% of my goal on a slow day, and sometimes I come in at 232% on a busy day, so that balances out, too. You just want to keep your scorecard above 60 points for the year and you will be OK. Also, pay attention when you open and close your registers. Just count the money correctly. When I open and close a register and I am the only person who rang on that register for the day, I usually always balance to the penny. During Christmas some registers would close short, over $100. Many associates were ringing on these registers. All transactions are recorded, and any register short over $20 is audited. It was not unusual (unfortunantly), for associates to be pulled from the floor by LP and then taken away in handcuffs by the police. Macy's shows you a video in training stating that they do not play around with theft. If you steal from them, they press charges. LP has never harassed me. I don't give them a reason to harass me. We have permission to manually override when a coupon does not work. My store is very strict about associates not ringing up their family or friends. When people have done that, yes, they are terminated. My 401K has made over a 10% return so far this year. You can choose from different mutual funds. You just have to do your research online at the Macy's 401K site and invest in the funds that are producing a good return. I make a couple of dollars per hour more than minimum wage. I am not on commission. In other words, I really do not have a lot of complaints about working for Macy's. Goodness knows, I've worked for companies a lot worse than Macy's. Maybe I'm just fortunate to be working for a good store that doesn't have the problems other stores have.

• Ga
    gailstorm Apr 20, 2013

I have worked for macys in california, for 3 years i got suspended for manuel discounts, because the coupon didn't work, macys acted like i was giving discounts to my friends not true, or trying to raise my sells again not true, loss prevention is very rude and act as if they are the judge and jury in a real court room, not even close loss prevention have to target an employee any employee and get them fired because they have quota and if they don't fire an employee in a given time they will lose their job.I have been suspended for 2 weeks enough is enough.

• Ce
    cesarrrrrr Jan 31, 2013

Guys please be aware of eric marlin, this jerk works for macys in SF. HE CONSTANTLY abuses his position and employees, also, he is well know for having sex with MINORS! yes ~ this piece of ### is a child molester, and macys hasn't done anything about it. Lastly, he lives in Oakland ca.

• Ne
    Newbie_ NY Dec 28, 2012

Is there any hope for a class action law suit against Macy's? Will a move on. org petition help to get this started?

Saleslady22 Dec 26, 2012

I worked for macys 10 years if you include robinsons may, Without getting into too much detail, I was one of macys strongest associates I sold over 600, 000 dollars a year and opened 12 macys accounts per week, I loved my job, my only mistake, being Transexual, , Its probably not just macys cause everybody hates Us.But I would've hoped with my stellar performance and dedication my gender would've been overlooked, I recieved alot of harassment throughout my tenure and macys finally found a excuse to fire me, thanks macys, I dedicated my life to that job and being a 2nd class citizen the odds of unemployment for a freak like me is pretty low, so now pretty much my life is over, gave my life to that company, worked every shift every time, rarely ever missed a day, did everything I was asked, didn't do anything when I was demoted for changing my sex, opened as many as 14 accounts in one day, This person puts they opened 200 actual credit cards, try opening 600 credit cards. What a great way to treat a human being, now I have nothing and probably never will again

• Lo
    lost in paperwork Nov 19, 2012

i worke at the sanford fl location, they moved me around alot so i knew almost every dept, including mattresses and the soccr program.i was hired for assecoeries and eventually ended up there, i usually tripled my sales goals, custs always said how helpfull i was and the managers said i was great.i loved this job so much i wanted it to be my life, my career!i opened my cc accounts and thanks for sharing every week, like i said, i LOVED this job.one day "my" manager came to me and said-all the managers here know your name and really like you and want you in there dept, but i want to keep you here so im offering you a full time position in fine jewelry and in 6 months you will be a gsm(i think thats what their called, the ones who walk around checking on you) i was so happy to hear thy liked me so much, a few days before this i was working in mattresses and did well and found out there was an opening for a specialist, i mentioned offhandily to another mngr that id like to work in mattresses f/t and that i enjoyed it, the next day that same mngr gave me an instore app for that dept, wich i turned in to h.r.i didnt turn down the fine jewelry position, i just didnt like the thought of being behind a counter all day and wanted to do more research, i acually enjoy being "on the floor" assisting custs that way, something you cannot do in fine jewelry.well all of a sudden i started feeling like the mngrs were treating me different somehow, i cant explain it, i just felt it, on the day i was fired i worked all day, my full shift, tripled my goals, opened a cc, ", for some reason it didnt give me credit for opening that cc or macys money, so i told mia, my mngr and she said shell get me my macys money, i only wanted the credit for it proving i met my goal, all day was good, mia kept telling me thank you and good job, so on and so on.i noticed she was training someone in fine jewelry and thought"good, she found someone else i guess"i was told by that other mngr carmen how much id be making in mattresses and figured i got the position, boy was i wrong!after my shift mia said she has to speak to me, we went into h.r, she printed a paper out and said due to my attendence points she has to terminate me.WHAT??i didnt say a word and walked out.i alredy heard her saying earlier she "had" to close fine jewelry that day and was none to happy to be stuck doing that(not being able to sit in her office sucked i guess)i kinda felt responsible for that for some reason.there were times that as soon as i walked in a cust would approach me and i wouldnt clock in till i was done assisting them, within 10-15 min sometimes, also i use public transportation and they all knew that.the bus is late sometimes and i cant control that aspect, wich i always informed them of.to go from cloud 9 to devastation that fast really hurt me, everyone there loved me and i was good at my job and they knew it.another employee said i made a BIG mistake by applying for mattresses after mia offered me a position with her, she is th type of woman that has made many girls cry over their job performance, i believe she took it as a personal insult, wich it wasnt at all.if i was in jepordy of losing my job why didnt anyone speak to me?1 day i look at my points its fine, the next day, im negative points.how does that happen so fast ppl??im going to do the instore open door resolution and i pray it works.i am a single mom with 3 kids, i dont get child support or nothin.i live paycheck to paycheck and now what am i going to do?im asking them from 1 human to another to give me another chance, i dont even know how im going to pay my bills, let alone get my kids anything for x-mis.cant they write me up?or suspend me first?why fire me so fast?just days after 2 promotion offers!im desperat for any helpfull advice, thank you all-lost in florida_

• Do
    done4macy May 12, 2012

Oh my goodness these are so true! Right now I'm a part timer in LA, CA Macy's. Last time during holidays when I was a recovery associate there, I had no idea that there are so much crap going on if you're a sales associate. Other associates were nice and still there are some. Back then I really enjoyed working there. That's the reason I wanted to work there again. But now I'm facing so many issues to work for Macy's. First of all they call so many associates for one single area in one shift and then expect us to meet our individual sales goal while using 1/2 registers. That's just so outrageous, right? And about the training, they don't give a ### how well we get trained. All they want us to "do" the video training so we can catch customers on the floors as soon as possible. After reading someone's mail here, now i know I have to do 12 credit on the next 90 days otherwise I'll get fired. Already i was thinking to quit and this credit thing will only speed it up for me. I also got anxiety attack, I even cried while coming back from works. So it's taking a big toll on me. At this point I think I would love to work in an environment where there is some decency and respect towards the employees even if they pay me less than the CA minimum wage. I'm done working at Macy's. And one last thing, like someone else has already said, I won't reccomend Macy's to work for and also tell everyone I know to not to shop in Macy's as well.

• Sw
    sweetgrl Feb 28, 2012

Wow i can really relate to everyones comments! I have worked at macy;s for almost 10 months and it has been miserable. The other associates are major two-faced backstabbers who pretend to be nice to your face while the whole time are stealing your customers and sales for themselves. The managers are mean and rude and i have been yelled at in front of customers, also was screamed at when my car broke down on icy roads on the way to work. I have had to go on anxiety medication due to the extreme stress of working there.I have noticed extreme favortism between the managers and certain co-workers.If you hang out at the bars and drink with the managers you are more valued than someone who is there to support her family.I am truly disgusted by what i have had to put up with and would never recommend macy's as a place to work unless you have already lost your mind and therefore will not be effected by this poor excuse for a career!

• Mr
    mrsmithdude Nov 01, 2011

I applied for a holiday temp position but did not qualify. Well from what I am reading it must be the company that has all the faults. Really, does it take much efort or experience in retail to give the customer what they deserve. Also, I do not understand how a company can treat employees like criminals without cause, as it sounds like they do. I should count my blessing for not working for this Macy's.

• Ne
    neverendingonedaysale Aug 24, 2011

I worked for a Macy's in New Hampshire in women's shoes, and found it to be a horrible place to work. The turnover rate for associates is ridiculous. They are so desperate to have people work there, they don't even interview you. People are hired on the spot with no background, reference or employment checks whatsoever. All associates are treated as potential thieves. You have to carry a clear handbag so they can see the contents. If you do any shopping there, whether on your workday or day off, you have to call security so they can inspect your bags before you leave. The pay is slightly above minimum wage, but during the morning rallies, the store manager would tell employees to buy Coach handbags, fine jewelry and high end cosmetics to help them out with sales goals. The so-called managers there were unprofessional, poorly trained and often rude and condescending to associates. The few times I had to call a manager for assistance with a customer (which was always done as a last resort), my call was answered with an audible sigh. Some other associates were afraid to call a manager because they would get yelled at. I have had several bad experiences while employed there including witnessing associates bullying new associates and being a victim of bullying by other associates, being assaulted by a customer (he hit me with a box of shoes), and being interrogated by security for over an hour and a half without cause. All of these issues were escalated to upper management and HR and nothing was done to resolve them. As for the bullying, I was told that there was nothing they could do and that in most stores, you have to be a real [censored] to be hired in women's shoes so suck it up. Other associates that were bullied were told they should find other employment because they weren't tough enough to handle working there. After I was assaulted by a customer, the manager on duty told the customer "If you would like to file a complaint, I would be more than happy to assist you with that." I met with that manager, my manager and HR about that and the response was "I'm sorry your experience made you feel bad, but we have legal issues to consider when dealing with irate customers.". When I spoke to HR and my manager about the interrogation, all they said was "Sorry. We know you didn't do anything wrong. I'm sure you are very upset by this experience and that's a bad way to feel.". HR has a bad habit about talking about your feelings instead of what actually happened, as if what happened was not really wrong, it just made me feel bad. That was the last straw for me. I actually put my 2 weeks in before I secured other employment because it became so intolerable.

• VetoForBRs Aug 04, 2011

"No LP department is going to talk to you just because you took 2 samples."

Ours did. It was a huge production... To put an end to taking samples period.. Questioning the masses, pulling us all off the floor one by one.. for hours at a time.

What's up with the handcuffs that they keep in the LP dungeon? Do they ever actually use them? If I get called back to talk to LP and he won't let me leave, can I call 911? Can they actually use force? You would be a wealth of knowledge if you actually check back on this board.

It's not that I do anything that directly violates Macy's policies, I just get sick of being treated like a criminal every day I work.. and it's only fair for me to annoy and hassle them, as much as they annoy and hassle me. I realize that their biggest loss (or so they say) is employee theft, but to treat everyone as a theif is just... ugh... frustrating.

As as far as all LP being dbags, I haven't met one that wasn't. I've worked in retail for almost 10 years now.

Magic of Macys Aug 03, 2011

I can't speak for every LP department but I can say that you can't speak to what you DON'T know, and I know LP. For all the employees who get fired or questioned by LP...it's not for TWO samples or "oops, I didnt know I couldnt adjust the price. There's always more to it. If you got fired...accept responsibility for what you did. No LP department is going to talk to you just because you took 2 samples. Thats what your mngr is for. LP deals with patterns of policy violations and things that relate to theft. If you didn't read your policies or handbook that's nobodys fault but your own. And being a "legit officer" has nothing to do with it. I'm not bashing you, just stating what I know. True there are a lot of LP Dbags that have a power trip and need to be put in their place, but don't label us all for the [censored]es that somehow manage to get hired. I've done LP for a long time now and I love the job, and just as much as I love catching dirtbag thiefs I love having the ability to protect the people I work with. Macy's still blows, just not everybody that works there is bad.

Magic of Macys Aug 03, 2011

As everyone else here I agree that Macy's is by far one of the worst places to work. The company does not care about their employees. I worked in their Loss Prevention department so I was able to see a lot of the ### they pull. Although I loved many people I worked with, the company itself screws you any chance it gets. There are many bad apples that work in these stores and being in LP I didn't have to take their ###. But step on someones toes higher than you and kiss your ### goodbye. I've seen people get fired for one thing then another person does the exact same thing or worse and they still have their job. I am one of those people. An accident happens and I was made the example for everyone else. People have done much worse yet they still work there. I too called the "IN STORE SOLUTIONS" because my situation was complete [censored]e and everyone (including managers and even corporate people) knew it. Lot of good they did for me. I bled for this company...a lot, only to be screwed. Hell, even the guy who tried to get me fired got fired. They get away with what they want because make their own definitions to the terms they hold you to, so if they decide they don't like you anymore...theyll find a reason. I STRONGLY suggest not to work for MACYS.

• VetoForBRs Jul 09, 2011

While I understand that they are property of the store, this particular employee was deserving of these two .3 ounce containers, as she had purchased a day and a night cream from me which came to a total of $500.00. If you had any type of cosmetic background, you would understand that the cosmetics employees are, by far, the best customers in cosmetics. Not only that, but it would be assumed that to sell a day cream that costs $240.00, it may be wise to have your beauty advisors use the products themselves, so they can fully back them when trying to sell them to new customers.

• VetoForBRs Jul 09, 2011

I asked that once, and was told "NO"...firmly. However.. if you live near another Macy's, you can use your Macy's money at other Macy's stores that don't know you aren't an employee of the company any longer (if that's the case). You can use your Macy's money at any store. I'm sure the reason that they don't want to accept left over Macy's money is because they're so effing greedy... like the $6 is really going to impact their sales for the day.

• Ex
    Ex-associate Jul 08, 2011

Does anyone know if you can still use any of the unused Macy's money if you are no longer an associate? I'm sure there is someone out there who was suddenly terminated, who had some Macy's money that wasn't redeemed yet.

• VetoForBRs Jul 07, 2011

It sounds like all Macy's LP guys have something in common... they all think that they are legit officers of the law. I currently work at a Macy's store and the way LP treats associates is borderline harassment. There was an ongoing "investigation" in cosmetics at our store recently, and several of the girls were questioned extensively, using brute force and intimidation..which was little overboard (considering we were being questioned for taking home skin care samples without getting them approved by our manager--samples are no value items that we freely hand out to customers..and it just so happens that the cosmetic employees are the best cosmetics customers so it shouldn't have been an issue). They even went as far as putting a fake list of names in a file, right in front of us, and then would leave the room...giving us the "opportunity" to check the "confidential" file out while by ourselves. I dunno about your stores, but our Macy's has what I call The Loss Prevention Dungeon, fully equipt with handcuffs and everything down there! Luckily, Macy's greed and power hungry behavior will catch up with them eventually... have you seen the turnover in that store? Pathetic.

• Bo
    bookwormbrunette Jun 16, 2011

I worked for Macy's for nine months and had no issues with management or security. Then one day I was pulled off the sales floor into the small HR office with the brand new security manager who had only worked there 2 months and he interrogated me for an hour and a half about my employment. He kept telling me "I cannot help you if you cannot help yourself. Lying gets you no where". I never lied to him, but he was asking about specific days from months previous and expected me to remember details. He showed me transaction forms and I told him I never lied, but if I was in the wrong I was sorry. He told me that I was suspended, but not to worry just to call in the next day. I called in and was told the next day I was fired and not to return to work. I was furious! I busted my ### for this company and they never provided proper training or attention for their employees needs. They never even gave me my deserved vacation days until I called corporate and asked about it. The corporate office always says something different from the store HR and general manage.r

Macy's is a TERRIBLE place to work. If they ever offer you a job tell them they can shove it up their ###.

• Id
    idocareaboutmyjob Jun 11, 2011

I am also a macy's employee in florida. Reading these comments are all so true. Florida stores are strictly commission. Why? Layers of micromanagers make their monthly visits to your store, by the way they do not acknowledge you. The turn over in our store is crazy. A back round check is a personality check online. The heart and soul comes from the manager of the store, our manager does not have that. Store credits when did macy's go into the banking business. Tell the ceo to get his ### out of the country club and clean his stores up. Some of his employees like me did care about macy's at one time. Thanks for reading.

JoAnne Store 835 Jun 08, 2011

Macy's Ocala Florida - A terrible place to work. The VP is not a good store executive. I was bullied, attacked and lied to. There is no training to speak of. No one in my department helped me learn my job. My manager never explained procedures except to tell me my "fangs" need to come out. I thought working for Macys for would be a good experience, I was totally wrong.
    Its all about the bottom line and pushing your customers to buy more than they can really afford. I watched merchandise returned the next day. Estee Lauder & Clinque rule Macy's cosmetic department. They want you to sell no matter what the customer says, push the products I was told. Sales goals were at 2 products per customer. Push, Push, Push !!!
    Macys is not good employment.

macyisabusive May 19, 2011

I have worked for Macy's 7 Months. I have been verbally harassed by other associates. I had never spoked back to her because I was always afraid of losing my job. My manager and HR NEVER did anything about the situation even after many complaints. Customers always came by and sexually harassed me. My manager & LP did nothing. I faced emotional distress to a point where I would even cry and work and when I would go home. I failed my college courses because everything was so overwhelming. I have been getting paid 8.90 for the past 7 months. They give me only 10-20 hours a week. They are firing me this week. Even though I was a top seller for the department, and customers loved me. They are firing me because i bought a ring for my grandmother, me and my aunt decided to go half and half, so I was accused of allowing her to use my Macys employee discount. They are disgusting. It is very similar to working for Mcdonalds, of not worst. This is a place where young people go in to make extra cash but they are so naive and have no clue that Macys takes advantage of them. Please, do yourself a favor and never allow your friends and family to work in that type of environment. I am still going through emotional stress, and seeing a doctor for depression.

• Il
    ILLINOIS ASSOCIATE May 17, 2011

The managers were always onto us and never said anything to people who actually were guilty or should be kept an eye on. LP harassed us every now and then and when I finally decided to quit and put on my two weeks notice, they called me and told me to come to the LP room while I was on the floor. I went in there and nobody was around and they started asking me questions, harassing me with their words. They accused me of doing price adjustments. I said i could have easily returned the item and re-bought it, it would be the same. They said, customers can do that but u cant... So I said, do whatever u want to do, but i have already put on my two weeks and this is my last day, and I will go now and there is no way you can stop me. They said, ow ok, we didnt know it was ur last day, but boy, what a last day, right? u are good to go.. I said good bye. They used to pay us the minimum wage with no raise for a year i worked there. I opened them around 200 actual macys credit cards and was #16 on the region for loyalties. But they didnt care and never showed any appreciation...So yah, they are "THE WORST POSSIBLE" employers to work for.

• Br
    Brandigirl7 Apr 19, 2011

Macy's discriminates against certain people and everyone knows that. I was considering reporting them for this practice. Also, I worked at the flagship store this past Christmas and while waiting on customers I would hear fighting between fellow employees breaking out. It was so unprofessional. The Manager I was assigned to for the season was nasty from the moment I met her and opened her mouth at me in front of customers as she was walking in the store. Why, I approached her because a customer was returning a bracelet for the third time. Before she even listened to what I had to say she yelled "you don't call me, you ask one of your fellow workers." When she shut her mouth long enough to hear what I had to say, she said " Oh, I have to talk to her and she went over to the woman and told her she should choose something else and...so I was right to approach her. A customer pulled me aside and told me how rude my fellow employee was and they were so turned off by her. They of course bought what I showed them. Also, I was told I did well with customers but Macy's won't hire me for regular work. I have seen full time employees verbally attack customers. The Flagship store in NY. I walked out a week early because I could not work with immature, angry seasonal workers anymore and I went to Human Resources to tell them. They thanked me and said others just walk out on them without saying a word.
    There is so much more but you all understand. All Macy's cares about is getting people to open credit accounts but all the people I was selling to were from overseas so how could I open up credit accounts. Plus I was limited in hours 4 a day 3 times a week and most people don't want credit and to continually push them is unprofessional.I really want to report them but then I think why bother as customers are turning away from them because of the people they employ.

• Br
    Brandigirl7 Apr 19, 2011

Macy's is the most unprofessional place I have ever interviewed with. When you apply for a job on the internet and are called in for an interview it is never for the job you applied for. I worked at Macy's flagship store this past Christmas and the Manager was nasty from the moment I met her. All they cared about was getting people to open credit card accounts. Most of the people were from overseas and they don't have Macy's outside the U.S. Also, my hours were 4 hours a day, 3 days a week, so how many credit cards could I open with so little hours. There was constant fighting between the employees hired. Very little respect and a poor work ethic. I walked out on them a week early because I was sick of preparing for combat each day. One customer I waited on told me how rude a fellow employee was to me and could not believe her behavior. There is reversed discrimination there and I was thinking of reporting them. Half of them were dressed like pigs, I dressed in a professional manner, yet I was treated like I was garbage. I was told I did very well with customers etc. I don't know what they are looking for but I have been told by numerous people how rude and nasty the help is. I saw a regular employee yell at a customer and was shocked by the way she treated the shopper. This store is not a place a person should work if they want respect and loyalty.

• Fo
    forgotten Apr 17, 2011

Okay, here's my story. I work in the Macys located in Santa Ana, C.A. Westfeild mall. I started there around Oct. I applyied for Cosmetics Part Time, in the end I was placed for the Fine Jewelry...and to my surprise as an on--call. This really pissed me off, but non-the less i took it. My manager is 26 yrs old...and a perve. He has been reported for well being a creep, and making sexual remarks and we were all questioned toward his behavior. He never coached me, the whole team did. I have to say, the associated i work with are all very nice, and pleasant to be around with, i have become very close with each, my manager being young he somewhat understands me. Long story short, he lead me on thinking i would get the part time slot...he ended up giving it to a girl from the clothing dept. someone with no product knowledge, in my opinion i think he liked her. Im always there for him when he needs someone, always doing favors, AND the whole team backed me up by letting him knw that i was right for the spot. He FORBIDS me talking to another associate, a guy, but when its the girl with the "chest" theres never a problem. He's creepy, stupid and an [censor]. Now i have a manager working on my case, im hopeing to get transfered out of there. Also the daily goals are ridiculous!! Its hard to make your goal AND open new accounts when every person HAS A MACY'S CARD!! 3 months into this job, i have suffered from insomnia, manic/depression, anemia (lack of nutrition due to stress), anxiety/paranoa and panic attacks/emotional breakdowns. I'm not well, i need out of that dept. i hope i get transfered into cosmetics. Its getting to me...

• Wa
    Wanted to be an employee Apr 08, 2011

I don't work or never worked here, but I did apply twice. The first time was about 6 months ago and was invited to schedule an interview, so I attempted and the 1 date and 2 time slots that were available didn't work, I tried calling the local store's HR department and was transfered about three different times and wasted about 15 minutes on the phone attempting to speak with someone to schedule for another day. Well, I had to leave a message and never got an answer and every person I did speak with told me they didn't have an answer and would transfer me to someone else. I thought screw them, this is really unacceptable and they need to improve their HR dept.

I applied again and the link was broken so I couldn't schedule, so yesterday, I contacted the local HR dept. again and left another message. I followed up today and was able to speak to someone, I said " Good Morning" and she paused for about 3 seconds and then said it back, but she had a tone like I was bothering her. After that, I explained that I left a message and never heard back from anyone and I wanted to follow up. She told me that I didn't hear from anyone because, they don't deal with that and if I wanted to contact someone, then I need to email [email protected] I didn't understand why nobody had the professionalism or courtesy to call me back and explain that to me or even how the HR dept. doesn't handle scheduling interviews until reading these posts.

I am not going to ever apply there again and I hope they go out of business, they suck.

• En
    enoluvr Feb 07, 2011

I worked at Macy's for 6 months. A loyal customer of mine had given me the remainder of her gift card that was left after a purchase. I thought that it might be unethical to keep it but it only had $9.03 so I decided to keep it and I eventually used it to buy a shirt from INC. About 2 months after this incident, I was called into the Loss Prevention office. The LP manager was very nice and calmly explained the methods they use to prevent loss. I thought he might had been doing this as a courtesy because I had absolutely no idea that I was about to get in trouble. He eventually asked me "So when's the first time you stole from Macy's?" and he pulled out the transaction information for my gift card purchase. I was horrified as he continued to ask if I had ever stolen from the register, or taken merchandise. I had to pay the $9.03 on the spot and they immediately suspended me despite my attempts to explain what happened. It was embarrassing and humiliating. Only corporate can make the decision to fire an employee so you have to wait until someone finally calls you to find out if you're canned.

I loved my department and my co-workers but Macy's as a company is entirely too political which is to be expected from a larger corporation. They pressure their employees so much that it creates a hostile working environment. It makes customers and employees uncomfortable.