Lowe's / return policies

1 Slidell, LA, United States Review updated:

I've just finished rebuilding my home and the house next door after Katrina.

Since I was forced to do most of the work myself, I purchased a large quantity of sheetrock, electrical and plumbing parts and all the other needed to totally rebuild the two houses.

To save on trips back and forth, I frequently bought a few more items than I needed. During 2006 and 2008 I spent somewhere between $30 and $40 thousand dollars at Lowe's.

When I found excess material I didn't need I returned it for credit. Suddenly when I tried to return some items in early 2008, I was told that the home office had notified the local store not to take any more returns from me because I had returned too much stuff. The cashier showed it to me on the computer.

I'm about to start rebuilding another abandoned home in the neighborhood. Believe me, Home Depot is looking mighty good.

Va

Comments

• Re
      2nd of Jun, 2009

If you ask to speak to a manager they can have this remove. The cashier is correct that their return system has rejected to you but it can be over-ridden. It's not a fool proof system. Give them the opportunity to fix it. The difference between Depot and Lowes is Lowes cares to fix it.

• Mi
      17th of Dec, 2009

i return things to lowes all the time .im a contractor.i didnt think the stores were even connected.i use alot of differnt stores.

• Mi
      17th of Dec, 2009

neutral

• So
      1st of Mar, 2010

Haha I had to laugh at Retialer's comment about how HD doesn't care and Lowe's does. Lowe's loses a LOT of money at their return's desk. They will take anything and everything from anyone for just about any reason. They try to use common sense against such things as when someone tries to return mixed paint or anything that has to do with the toilet. The problem is that a "no hassle" return policy is widely open for abuse. One feature of it is an unfortunate freeze you acquire if you return too many things in a period of time, obviously designed to prevent against people stealing right off the shelf and taking the item to returns or taking someone's snow shovel for a pack of cigarettes or hooch 20 times. One way around this is to have other people you know buy the stuff for you or get an AR account. You'll have more "return" power that way :)