Lowe's / questionable sales tactics

Duke Dr., Alpharetta, GA, United States

Before I begin, one has to understand where I come from. I put a lot of stock in my faith. My family, the members of my church, our pastor, and the contractors with whom I am networked (who are either from within my church or of like faith) all hold the concept of integrity, honor, and fidelity very sacred. This is why I post this today, and why I am shocked and disgusted that a company such as Lowe’s would condone such actions from within their staff.
Toward the end of February, the network of contractors I work with were picked for a project for a client at three different locations; a project that will take us well through the spring, summer, and into early fall. To give this client the best possible estimate, an associate of mine (my Church Pastor) and I visited the Lowe’s Store #0615, 10580 Duke Dr., Alpharetta, GA 30004. I went straight away to Commercial Services while my pastor went to a couple different departments to find what we’d needed for this project.
I was met by Amanda. She was young; too young to be knowledgeable for what I was looking for, in my opinion. Surprisingly, she was very helpful and was able to answer my questions as they came up. However, she seemed very eager to secure my order right then and there after I’d already explained what it was I was trying to accomplish at that point in time – only comparative shopping for the sake of the project at hand. She then became visibly frustrated, and began to flirt with me quite aggressively. I made certain that she caught sight of my wedding band, but it was obvious that she paid no mind to such things. She made it evident that she was going to try any tactic she could to secure this sale then and there.
As I was trying to politely wrap up this visit, my Pastor joined us. In an apparent final act of desperation, this Amanda then leans in, quite leeringly, and asks, “What would it take to get you to secure your purchase here, today, and now? I’ll do anything to ensure you both leave happy and with everything you’d both want as men.”
Already uncomfortable with the situation, I politely advised her that we do NOT operate our business in such a manner, bid her good day, and left the store IMMEDIATELY. As we turned to walk away, this young lady also muttered a very UNLADYLIKE dismissal that readily described what she intended to do with us to “secure” this sale. We left, disposing of the notes taken during this visit. and proceeded to discuss our other options as we walked to our vehicle. As we were standing behind our truck, discussing our next destination, and answering/returning a couple of phone calls, Amanda was either leaving for lunch or leaving for the day (it was between 3 and 3:30 pm). She made a point to drive clear across the parking lot, directly to where we were, and then waved a very inappropriate, one fingered hand gesture at us as she sped away. I think I need not tell you which finger.
A day or two later, I phoned this location to speak with a manager about the incident. I was left on hold for fifteen to twenty minutes. Someone returned to my call, asked for my contact information and what the call was in regard to. When I spoke of the situation, I was hung up on and have not heard back since.
I then submitted my complaint to the corporate offices, who have since returned my correspondence with requests for repetitive accounts of the incident, as well as other information not relevant to the subject at hand; obviously not willing to take the matter under investigation or do anything about it.
Our Pastor, having witnessed this incident first hand, has since called for a full church wide boycott of Lowe’s and their subsidiaries, and has passed the call to his colleagues who serve churches/congregations of similar faith and denomination. I know I’ll never shop Lowe’s again, nor will my family.
It’s a shame that a company as big and well known as Lowe’s would encourage their employees to resort to prostitution to make a profit. However, after reading the complaints posted on websites such as this, I can see why their reputation is so bad.