Liberty Tax Service / scam and cheating

I went to Liberty Tax Service in March of 2008 to prepare my federal and state income tax returns for 2007. They completed the forms and I wrote them a personal check for their fee on March 25, 2008.

Three months later I was notified by the Rhode Island Department of taxation that my income tax return for 2007 had been miscalculated and that I owed an additional $958.00 plus penalties and interest. I contacted Liberty Tax Service and they admitted that it was their fault that the error occurred but did nothing else to help me remedy the errors. I paid the amount the RI Taxation department said I owed including penalties and interest.

In addition to this issue, I noticed that the check I paid Liberty Tax Services for their fee had not cleared my bank for several months. Since the check was written on March 25, 2008, it would not be valid after September 25, 2008 according to my bank. After September 25, 2008 I no longer kept the funds in my account to cover that check since it was no longer valid.

On October 3, 2008 the check cleared my account causing the account to be overdrawn and incurring overdraft penalties by my bank. I looked at the canceled check and realized that the date had been altered prior to it being deposited in Liberty Tax Service's bank on October 2, 2008. The date had been originally written as 3/25/2008 it was altered to read 8/25/2008. The alteration extended the time period the check would remain valid. My bank informs me that this constitutes a form of fraud.

I suggest that anyone considering using Liberty Tax Services reconsider and go to another more reputable service.

By the way, this company is NOT affiliated with Liberty Mutual Insurance. I have my home owners and auto insurance with Liberty Mutual and am very satisfied with the services they offer.

An

Comments

• Ta
      7th of Apr, 2009

Liberty Tax Service's eSmart Tax online filing software failed to include any of my 1099s when I filed my 2007 taxes. I didn't realize this until I received notice from the IRS that I owed back taxes and interest. I entered the information on all my 1099s -- I found the information on the website when reviewing my return -- but the software apparently ignored it. The company offers a guarantee to cover any interest, penalties or fees resulting from a software error, but I e-mailed a top marketing official at the company and have received no response. I'll send them copies of all paperwork that I'm sending to the IRS tomorrow and we'll see if they make good on their promise.

• To
      21st of Mar, 2011

Just got informed that we are being audited by Vermont for a lousy tax preperation performed by Liberty Tax Svce.(Had them do our 2009 return.) Also owed state of Ct. over $360.00 after Liberty did the return. They tried to charge me $778.00 for the 1/2 hour visit to their Keene, NH location, but when I showed no sign of ever beginning to accept that rip off attempt, they conveniently reduced the amount to $347.00, $3.00 less than H&R Block charged us the previous year.
    The whole thought behind going there in the first place was to reduce the amount we pay ($350.00) for a simple return. They tried to charge double that. Then after everything, we still owed 2 states income tax, and now this audit is taking place. Stay clear of these jokers. Anyone who has to have some weirdos dance around in a Statue of Liberty costume to drum up business has to be shysters...

14th of Aug, 2012

I went to Liberty Tax to have my 2011 state and federal taxes done, never again they ripped me off. There were hidden fees they did not tell me about, the tax breaks that I usually file for they told me I couldnt file for because it didnt apply to me. they told me that it would be better to get direct deposit so I wrote out a check, They wanted to charge me close to $200 for direct deposit so I chose to get a check in the mail. And when I got my check in the mail they had taken out so much for fees, I didnt even get half of what they calculated my refund to be and they did not give me back my cancelled check. And also while the girl did my taxes she played receptionist too, so every time the phone rang she would stop and answer the phone and every time someone came in the door she had to stop and give them papers to fill out. NEVER AGAIN WILL I GO THERE.

• Ba
      27th of Feb, 2014

Just to let everyone know, DO NOT HAVE YOUR TAXES DONE AT LIBERTY!!! They charged my mom and dad $300 to have their taxes done for filing joint, but charged me OVER $500 for just me. They did not tell me that they were keeping my state refund when I called them on Tuesday. So please take a piece of advice from me, DO NOT HAVE YOUR TAXES DONE BY LIBERTY. They also charged me to have my money directly deposited into my account. So again DO NOT HAVE YOUR TAXES DONE BY LIBERTY TAX SERVICE!!!

• Mi
      2nd of Jul, 2015

Please have Ken Cheshire phone me regarding my 2014 taxes. The I R S has billed me for more owed for that year after I paid them the amount owed for that year per Ken. My name is Michael B. Novosel and I can be reached at 916) 409-0322

• Mi