LG Electronics / lg 4k tv screen issue

1 Mississauga, Ontario, Canada

A 70UF7700 LG 4K TV set was purchased in February 2016 at a cost of more than $3, 000. It has developed a back lighting display issue that has resulted in a dark spot of about 12- 16" appearing in the middle of the screen. This spot is readily visible as a large shaded area when watching television. Although the warranty for the TV has expired, it should not be unwatchable with such a large artifact in less then 3 years. I first contacted a local repair shop by phone to describe the problem and received a response that in all probability, the screen would have to be replaced and that it would likely be more cost effective to replace the TV. I immediately followed up with LG on January 9th, providing them with a bill of sale and photos of the very poor image quality. They advised me that the TV was out of warranty and would do nothing to resolve the issue. I was given the name of a local LG TV repair shop to contact. I contacted them and was told to bring the TV in for assessment and advised that even if it was irreparable (which I had already been told is likely the case) I would be charged at least a $100 diagnostic fee. I called LG again on January 10th, to ask them to pay for the diagnostic fee. After all, if the TV must be replaced, why should I also have to pay even more to have this confirmed, particularly when LG refused to provide any support for their defective television? Subsequent contact with LG resulted in another terse reply by e-mail telling me that the TV was out of warranty and any request for assistance is rejected. See attached e-mail message from LG. I understand that it is out of warranty but a $3, 000 TV set should last more than 2.75 years!!!

The set is defective and should be repaired or replaced by LG. I asked to speak to a supervisor and was told none was available. I then asked for a follow up call and none was received. LG is obviously disinterested in resolved this issue.

Cy