Leon's Furniture / buyer beware with leons!

I will never again purchase from the Darmtouth store of Leons. I bought a washer/dryer and pedstals. The washer wasn't working properly from day one. I called the idiot sales rep who said that they don't take back washers, I had to go directly to Whirpool to have it repaired! IMAGINE, not even one day of having it working and I, the VALUED customer had to get repair service! It still isn't working properly and they wont take it back. I am lodging a complaint with consumer affairs on the issue. Doesn't seem fair to me that a new appliance cannot be returned and of course, Leons DOES NOT STATE THAT ALL SALES ARE FINAL. Trust me, they are so BUYER BEWARE.

The pedestals arrived a week late and the delivery chaps wouldn't install them. Said that the sales rep should have informed me of this during the purchase, which he did not. Imagine having to lift a 150lb washer to install pedstals? How does Leons expect a single mother to accomplish that?

BUYER BEWARE WITH LEONS! What a scam they are running.

N  11th of Jun, 2007 by
I just wanted to let you know that the warranty offered on appliances are ALWAYS to fix the problem. That does not mean it is a final sale. What it means is that you have one year warranty for parts and labor and that if there's a problem with your appliance, somebody will come at your home and change the piece that is causing the problem. This is not a Leon's Furniture exclusive! It's the warranty offered by most serious retailers. If you find a retailer that is willing to take back any item that presents a problem like yours, it means that they will probably fix the problems themselves and resale the item to another customer. Which then means that the appliance that you purchased might have been to another customer's house before, was damaged, fixed, and than sold back to you. I'm not sure that's much better.
A  5th of Sep, 2007 by
Actually Marie, I think that IS better considering the customer right now has a washer that DOESN'T WORK!!! If the machine's problems are repaired without the customer having to suffer and wait then the customer is happy. It sounds to me like you're a rep from Leons who is happy to have the salesperson's commission stay in their pocket and the repair costs to stay off Leon's books so that Leon's is happy. And yes, that does sound like how most 'serious' retailers do it - it's about the business these days, not the customer. What a disappointment that anyone would respond with a backwards comment like that - as if a fixed appliance vs. a non-working one is a bad thing!
A  13th of Sep, 2007 by
I absolutly agree, the applinace should have been taken back, even though they say that it is under manu. warrenty, they have agreements with stores to take back the product if it is within lets say 14-30 days within purchase and it is defective.
I would have made sure they took it back, go to the General Manager and if that does not work, then I would have gone to head office.
I have had defective products and Leon's has always taken them back and replaced it, they even through in gift certificates for my troubles.
D  27th of Sep, 2007 by
I don't nor have I ever worked at the Dartmouth store, however I have been a salesperson in the appliance dept. at a Leons store. The final bill that you sign at the counter states that Leons is not authorized to return items. Now, this is not Leon's doing it is the manufacturer's doing. If it can be fixed, they want to fix it. I don't work with Leon's anymore and have seen many people in your position. Unfortunately, Leon's "boss" are the manufacturer's, we have to have a return authorization from the manufacturer in order to return it and they won't give us that until a technician takes a look at it.
A  1st of Nov, 2007 by
I've met two liars who work at that particular Leon's... top notch customer service! Will never purchase from Leon's again.
A  4th of Nov, 2007 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I purchased a 55" tv, a table and chairs set and a sofa/chair set... the tv was a floor model when i got it, scratches and wear included, when i had purchased a brand new model, the table and 3 of the 4 chairs had to be returned because of scratches and dings... the chair was delivered but the sofa took almost a full month to get, the tv took well over two months by the way to get a used, floor model, i bought an lg mini system there later the same week which has been nothing but a complete piece of garbage. The Dartmouth Leons store is absolute crap, I would never deal with them again if they were the last furniture place on the planet.. oh, and to top it off when the leather chair was delivered the delivery guy said he didnt have time to unwrap it then he asked if he could use my bathroom, went in and took a ###. Great service hey? The whole store may as well have took a ### on my floor for the quality of their merchandise and service.
A  1st of Mar, 2008 by
My son just purchased a 50" plasma HD tv from Leons, after a couple of days he noticed lines and colours all wrong. He called the store for an immediate exchange as it was less than a week.

The store stated all sales are final on electronics but within 72 hrs they'd have exchanged it!

At NO time during purchase was he told all sales are final!

He contacted the manufacturer who insisted Leons were responsible to replace a defective product within 30 days but leons refused. had he bought from Future Shop he'd have got an immediate exchange!

Buyers beware!!! Go to a reputable dealer to buy appliances and electronics!

My son ( and myself) has spent thousands at Leons but NEVER again! Poor customer service like this will result in our family boycotting this store.
A  26th of May, 2008 by
I join the many customers who will never shop at Leons again. I bought nearly $6000 worth of appliances and chairs at the Leons in Truro, NS. Same story as posted, my new whirlpool washer arrived with a cracked pump and Leons pushed me over to the Whirlpool repair hotline, where I've now waited one month, with no resolution. Leons seems to have a policy of doing nothing but blame the manufacturer when in fact they are profiting off these problems, keeping our money, leaving us without the product purchased. To add insult to injury, the sales rep at Leons pressured me hard to take the extended warranty on the appliances, telling me this additional $465 cost would avoid this very situation. Leons has not offered me anything whatsoever for being without a washer all this time. Buyer definately beware.
N  2nd of Jul, 2008 by
I, like the many other customers will never shop at Leon's again. We purchased a mattress and box springs 3 years ago but already the mattress is sagging. My husband and I both wake up with sore backs everyday. I have been dealing with Leon's in Woodstock, Ont. for over a month - trying to get someone to come and look at it. I keep getting met with the excuse that they are combining warehouses and do not have time to do service calls! Believe me - I will never" have time" to step back in that store either. Their service is appalling! Upon talking to other people in the area I am not alone. The next time I am shopping for furniture(which will be soon) I will be returning to help "the little guy" (not Leon's) .
N  7th of Aug, 2008 by
i too has been very dissapointed with leons i purchase bedroom set ..the board at the back has been swellon ..i reported it ..promise to fix it has been 1 year and to no avail..very very disppointed
A  9th of Sep, 2008 by
Well we got a whirlpool washer also..and after have done THREE washes we get a F which means you have to call service...yeah right!...after 3 washes!..we had also decided seeing as though my partner is handicapped and cannot do huge bending or reaching due to long term injuries..this machine was not suitable..the drum being too deep. We informed leons of this..the sales rep/the manager..etc..etc..seeing a pattern?..and told them we would like to exchange it for a washer of the same value but one that was more accomodating to my partner..the reply basically being...NO!.. they do not take back used items...yeah right thats why they have a section for marked down stuff thats been returned!..strange huh?...and we could only exchange it for same model..HELLO WHAT PART OF NOT SUITABLE DONT YOU GET?.. anyway on top of all this we had some wanna be dep manager belittle my partner and make her feel like she was stupid..(hence i called and made a serious complaint to manager who did NOTHING!)..so after all this we cancelled the rest of our order which was another 2500 dollars. In short leons only cares about the sale...not the customers...or their wellbeing...money grabbing, heartless, and sneaky...they only informed us of the not return policy after we mentioned returning it..then they tell us our sales rep is away for ten days...funny..we called 4 days later and hes there!!!...so makes you wonder what kind of company they are running...its no better than the black market...SO BEWARE ANYONE THINKING OF BUYING ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY...PRODUCTS MAY LOOK NICE BUT PRONE TO FALL APART OR CEASE TO FUNCTION...NO CUSTOMER SATIFACTION GUARANTEE...BASICALLY THEY WILL TELL YOU TO GO FORTH AND MULTIPLY!.
A  11th of Sep, 2008 by
mmm..they do impose alot of pressure and upselling techniques at the Dartmouth Leons. I purchased a sofa chair set and upon delivery, which they did not unwrap, we noticed a signifigant tear in the leather on the corner of the chair. I called and spoke to their product manager and she advised me of my options. 1. receive some money back for a defect 2. have someone come and repair it.
I then advised her of my decision 1. I paid for chair that was not ripped, and they would take it back and give me one that was suitabe and undamaged.
She procedeed to tell me that the furniture comes from away and during shipping...
I indicated that this was not my concern, it was their issue and insisted on a new chair..which I received.
I suggest they start standing by the products they sell and providing more civilized customer service. Stand up for your rights as a consumer and don't back down!
N  26th of Sep, 2008 by

There are some things in your message that I would like to clarify. The "markdown center" you mentioned is for Damaged product that Leon's has that has been damaged through shipping or general wear and tear of being on the sales floor as well as old and discontinued stock. It is NOT an area for returned product because it is illegal to take a product back and sell it under the impression of being new and Leons is not a second hand store that sells second hand merchandise.

Secondly you actually have no way of knowing whether or not that department supervisor was reprimanded for attitude or not, you wernt there for any conversation between the manager and the other person.

Lastly at what point does the accountability fall upon you as the consumer to think about the purchase before you make it. A sales person can sell any product but only YOU know how well it is going to fit into your lifestyle and needs. I understand how frusterating it is to have made a purchase that doesnt end up being as beneficial as you expected, some avenues that you can try is to call the manufacturer and see what they can do for you. Manufacturers put limitations on companies that dictate what they can or cannot do with damaged or used merchandise. So perhaps the manufacturer can find a more suitable replacement for you, if that option doesnt work I would suggest making a personal sale of the washer that doesnt work for you and then purchase one that does.

I think we all need to remember that every business in this world has a bottom line, and every businesses bottom line is to make money, making money and careing about customers are not mutually exclusive and yet because a company cannot do everything it would like for a customer or fix every problem that arises doesn't mean that they dont care. All businesses have rules and guidelines made by a higher power and at some levels our hands are just tied and sometimes its keeping in mind that people arent out to get you or make your day terrible or rip you off and sometimes its simply just how the cookie crumbles.
N  27th of Dec, 2016 by
@Cassandra Really, you are saying that Leon's does not sell to its consumer used products. Give your head a shake man. We paid for a brand new rug, never unrolled it as some company Leons had hired to put a stain resistant solution on it was delayed a week. The day they called and said they were able to come over and apply their product. Great, we can finally enjoy our new rug. In order to save time for the company, I unrolled the rug. There was crap all over it. Sparkles, gravel, stains, lint and dirt. It was disgusting! I called and they refused to do anything about it. No returns they said. I didn't give up, I called back again and again. They said they could come and steam clean it for us, I told them I am not interested in a used rug, we paid for a new one. They said they would give us a store credit, but really, after this runaround and getting a used rug delivered, who in their right mind would want to purchase anything else for them. I declined that offer so then they asked that I send in pictures. So I did. Still waiting to hear from them. So don't be saying that Leon's doesn't sell used goods. They sure the h*ll do. We dropped $14, 000.00 at that store in one shot. We are cancelling the orders we have not received yet and keeping the crap that has already been delivered. We are splashing our discontent all over social media "Buyer Beware!!!" We are getting in touch with the ombudsman, our local PM, newspaper and who ever will tell our story to the public. They have no morals, no pride, nothing. Just get the all mighty $$$$ and forget the consumer. Totally disgusting!
A  5th of Oct, 2008 by
I was married into the Leon clan. Now I'm Disability and living in a rooming house in crack head Scarborough. Mean while my poor ex-wife Cindy Leon takes 50% of my WSIB. You your try living on $ 585 dollars a month after 400 rent. How do you expect them to treat there customers.

D  28th of Oct, 2008 by
I bought a sofa and chair combo and when it was dlivered the guys said if they could just leave it because they were running late and if I could unpackage it. I asked if it would be possible to return if there were any problems. They said I have three days, so I said okay just leave it and I'll unpackage it myself. I thought what could possibly be wrong with a new item such as furniture that is material. Well I opened it and the sofa was fine but the chairs back was broken and the fabric was not lined up properly. I tried for hours to get a hold of customer service with multiple calls. No one would answer and no one would call back. I finally got angry and the receptionist finally went and got someone. They said they would take care of it but after a week I called back to see if they had everything in order just to make sure. Same problem, no one would answer customer service. I went there just to see how busy they really were and no customers were there at all! I just went home because I was so angry and didn't want to snap at anyone. I still have not talked with anyone and I have been trying for three days! I guess I will have to go back and contain my temper. I will never purchase from them again.
A  31st of Oct, 2008 by
I spent $2000 at Leon's on 2 night tables, bed with headboards, footboards, rails, dresser, mirror, leather chair, and leather cocktail table.

Same thing...delivery guys come, and ask that I unpack some things because they are running late. Not a big deal...until...

I unbox the leather chair and leather cocktail table. The chair had a rip in the leather, and the table had a smashed corner. So I called Customer Support (who is actually very kind and helpful). They brought me an undamaged leather chair the following week.

But..the table. What a hassle! In total, 6 (SIX) tables over a period of 2.5 weeks and 5 of them were severely damaged. It actually got so bad, that I began going to their warehouse to inspect things BEFORE they delivered them. We actually pulled boxed apart trying to find undamaged ones. Finally I got one, and then they gave me 2.5% of my total order (a mere $50...which oddly enough IS their hidden delivery fee).

I doubt I would buy from them again. I have a $100 gift card from them, but I thin I will just sell it on kijij.
D  27th of Feb, 2009 by
you're an idiot.
You should have taken the extended warranty the sales associate offered you, and don't say he/she didn't because Leon's is very aggresive when it comes to these things.
I love shopping at Leon's, and it's reasons like this I always buy the extended serivce, just for a piece of mind you know? Who spends all that money on a Ferrarri and can't afford the gold gas? Stick with top loaders next time. Why are you so cheap to buy it? Those machines used to come with it, and now manufacturers are screwing everyone over with all this 0 quality control in their assembly plants, do some homework and read consumers reports once in awhile before making any purchases, it's such a life saver.
Who spends $2000.00 on a laundry set and can't afford $249.00 for a 5 year warranty? I bet you financed it too, you wouldn't have had to pay for anything that day.
Use that brain next time big guy ;)
Have a good day, I'll pray for you.
A  27th of Feb, 2009 by
Leon's treats their customers very badly. Leon's sells the names of their customers to groups such as Citi Financial. Citi Financial then spams the people on the mailing list with credit offers and "Express Loan Certificates".

There is an agreement at the bottom of each Leon's invoice that asks the customer to authorize the release of their personal information. I did NOT sign this letter but my name and mailing address were sold anyway.

This message is an attempt to warn other people against giving their personal information to Leon's. The statement at the bottom of the Leon's invoice reads:

"I/We acknowledge the purchase above and authorize LEON's to retain and use the information provided to facilitate purchases and offer additional products, services, advertising and solicitations."

As I said, my information was sold even though I did not sign this form.
N  17th of Sep, 2009 by
Thanks for the usefull info, I have never yet bought anything from Leon's and now never will. I can't stand business's that blame manufacture's for not taking something back. Leaving it to the poor consumer with a family to feed to eat up the cost when Leon's itself is making multi millions of profit in a year.
N  17th of Sep, 2009 by