Lastminute.comvalentines trip ruined - duplicated booking and poor service from lastminute.com

We booked a last minute night away with lastminute.com for valentines day. We receive an order confirmation and booking details from last minute.com. 13/02/15. We then drive 120 miles to the location where we arrived at the hotel to be told we were the 5th couple to arrive. The owner of the hotel who has an aggrement with booking.com was fruious as he was fully booked and had 5 extra bookings. He told us he had tried to call and email the details given to him from bookings.com
These were not our details at all but a 0800 number and a company email. These were not our details. I tried to call lastminute.com as we have no reference to booking.com. I was on hold for 30 minutes and then the phone was hung up, the hotel owner tried his best to find us another room but they were all fully booked or very expensive.
We then had to drive home as we had no other choice ruining our valentines day.
Since then we have spent over and hour on the phone being passed to 4 different departments with no explanation or real sympathy to the impact this had on our day. Drove for 2-1/2 hours to get home for 8pm. They have offered us a refund for the booking wihich will now take 7-10 working days.
Imagine if you booked a foreign holiday and arrived to find no hotel and to pretty much sort it all yourself. They take no responsibility for there account or offer to sort this for you.
Bad service. Bad communications. And no sympathy or responsibily.
I would not recommend to anyone to use this service and I certainly will NEVER use www.lastminute.com booking.com or Expedia

Cd