Kohls / shoplifting

On mar 9, I have been charged for shoplifting in kohls for $521, though it was $200. they arrest me and finger printed and charged for a class 3 felony. I am currently on my F-1 visa doing masters. But the items were sale but they charge full price on ticket??

I had a hearing on april 1 and was give a court date for june 10. I have hired lawyer and he say it be a misdemeenor as it first time offense.

I have travel plan to India this month and the judge has given me a special needful for it. do I need to cancel it? will it be a problem at the POE?

I have taken consultation law office, but I have a question which I havent asked then.

1) as the case is still in process. would it be better if i graduate this summer or fall 2008( Iam already done with my course work). How woud it affect my OPT?

I have learnt alot from my mistakes. I feel ashamed for all this and very sorry. can any one please help me out.. who knows judge.

N  4th of Apr, 2009 by
well have your immigrationj lawyer get the charge down to somethling like disorderly conduct (trust me all immigration lawyers are EXPERTS at this). Then he will get the charge listed as dismissed on your criminial record because the judge will just dismiss it and make you do community service work.

Then what the lawyer will do is, he will petition for an expungement of the dismissed charge so it wont show up in any employment background checks.

As a Visa holder you have many options available to you that the US Citizen does not have in finagling with your criminal background records.

Then, you are in the clear as that wont affect your future prospects for a Green Card or employment . But you need to have a good Immigration Lawyer whose gone to school to learn these tricks and loopholes a regular lawyer wont do these things.
N  5th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
ya I can think of a way to help if your going to come to this country to get a education and you turn around and shoplift you can go back to the third world ### hole you came from and leave the rest of the civilized world alone!
N  9th of Apr, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +4 Votes
Doesn't matter what the sale prices are. You will be charged for the full retail price listed on the item. What difference does it make anyhow if they charged you with $521 or $200? Shoplifting is shoplifting is shoplifting. You could steal a $2 clearance item and it would still be shoplifting. I hope that you really have learned from your mistakes as you claim.
N  11th of May, 2009 by
The difference is anything over 500 is considered a felony... under 500 is a misdemeanor... so if you shop lift in pairs they will combine your total and charge you both with a felony... At Kohls although it is against the law, video tapes in all of their dressing rooms... They figure the shoplifter when they are caught will not be in the position to do a thing... So Kohl's gets to break the law to catch somone breaking the law...
D  21st of May, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +3 Votes
kohls does not use camera in there fitting rooms. that is why it is so had to catch as many shoplifters as there are.
A  25th of Jun, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Kohls is REALLY ridiculous.. so many people get busted there. Which is ok, cause they're just doing their jobs.. but the charges are OUTRAGIOUS..
I speak from expirience.. I took, or attempted to, a tank top and a shirt... on sale...
They hit me with $676 fine!! and got my record lengthed for wayyy more then its worth.
Talking to the judge went smooth with me, thank god cuz at that point everyone had been an ###.
So the deal I got was I can do 25 community service, which is nothing, and agree to a six month informal probabtion.. and the charges would be dropped!! and it would go on my record from a felony to a loitering!!
I got off realllll lucky on that one!!

The problem with most charges dealing with kohls is they have the right to all of the sudden spring additional charges on you.. even if its years later.. be careful with this fact. They can really bite you in the ###.
N  14th of Jul, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
Kohls Loss Prevention will let you get away with crimes if they know you're going to be a repeat offender. They keep the evidence and build a case against you till you reach a felony offense, then they bust you.

My advice, Stop stealing things!
N  21st of Aug, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +6 Votes
You deserved it so now you'll have to face the consequences.
N  13th of Sep, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +6 Votes
Why are people complaining about the way they are treated when they're shoplifting? Idiots! If you're going to do the crime, you're going to get punished. Don't be a lowlife in the first place and you wouldn't have this problem. If you don't have the money to pay for it, then forget about it...just like the rest of us. You don't see me going out stealing cars just because I need a new one.
D  20th of Sep, 2009 by
Best Best Advice Agree Disagree +8 Votes
Honestly, what did you expect Kohl's to do? Give you a nice pat on the back and "job well done?" Of course they are going to prosecute you! That's what happens when you steal, you get caught and you have to pay the price.

Kohl's takes shoplifting very seriously. As an employee I've been told NOT to interfear with a customer that may be stealing, I'm supposed to note their appearance and then notify Loss Prevention. Why? Because Kohl's WANTS to wait so that they can charge you to the fullest extent of the law. They want to show you and others like you that you cannot steal and get away with it in our store.

At Kohl's we love it when we can give a customer a great deal! What we don't love is someone that comes in and tries to get something for nothing. People like YOU make costs higher for Kohl's which lowers payroll and raises prices. In a sense what you just took you took from everyone, employees and customers of Kohl's alike! I'm glad you got caught and I hope that you have to pay for it. Maybe you and others like you will stop to think about the conseqences before you shoplift again.
N  15th of Oct, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +6 Votes
ARGHHHHHHHHH! How dare you complain! Go back to where you came from- stealing is WRONG in this country. I am glad Kohls pursues theives like you! I DONT CARE if you stole a 50 cent pack of gum- it's still stealing! Are you out of your mind!!! You stole $200 and that makes it OK????? And they are charging you for theft of $500 because you argue they tallied the stolen goods at the full price instead of the sale price. What in this world makes this right???? It's people like you that drive the prices that I PAY for in stores up. What I wouldn't give to finish up my masters but somehow I am not expecting a hand out from someone anytime soon. You deserve everything you get and then some. If you can afford to go to college, retain a lawyer AND travel to India you sure as hell had money to pay for the loot you stole. You should be ashamed. The ONLY person that can help you out is YOU. I suggest you dig deep into that dysfunctional psyche of yours and figure out the difference between right and wrong.
D  28th of Oct, 2009 by
Agree Disagree +7 Votes
I work for Kohl's LP. I wish I had caught you. People seem to react in one of two ways when I catch them stealing. They are either sorry (or try to convince me that they are sorry) or they try and retionalize what they have done and put the blame on anyone but themselves (The drugs made me do it, Its too expensive, it dosn't hurt you if I steal). I have a pretty good idea which class of people you fall in. I also, personally, would like to [censor]slap you several times for having enough money to study abroad and then complain about being caught stealing.
N  5th of Nov, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Talk about a bunch of idiots, this young man that supposedly shoplifted has probably been back home to his country for 6 months... god folks... get some lives...Oh I foregot Kohls is your life.. poor fools!!! Like the owners of these big companies care about you!!!
N  1st of Dec, 2009 by
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
I agree!!! Everybody has a chance to mess up! you want to talk about criminals and go back to where you came from...but America within itself has been the biggest criminal since day one! Just ask him where he came from and ask how many criminal acts America has done towards his country!!! In fact, he chose the right place to come to and be a criminal! That’s why our laws are not as strict as other countries because of guilt for what the government does on a daily basis!!!

While yawl are being so patriotic, America right now is committing criminal acts against others and its own people as well. Where were you on 911 idiots when Bush clearly allowed this event to occur. Whether it was out of stupidity, negligence, or on purpose It is documented fact that he had more then enough intelligence to prevent this from happening. That’s why that idiot didn’t notice he was reading the Children’s book upside down when he heard the news because he was either feeling guilty about neglecting his number one duty as a president which is to protect this country, or he was going over in his head what was to happen next as he would later use this event for an excuse to enter into a country that had nothing to do with 911. Hell did anyone even stop to think why someone would want to ### bomb us in the first place…probably because we was messing with them and they wanted to teach us a lesson. Nope our dumb ### signed all of our power to him.

He manipulated the people to allow him to go to war with a country he had no good reason to fight other wise. He was the biggest criminal and if you ask me he should have been tried and executed right along side Saddam. Every step America has taken to get where we are right now has been a criminal act. Talk about excuses according to the history books slavery and the attempt to annihilate the total existence of Indians were all steps we had to take to be the Powerful country we are today with all of our freedom and wealth! With that said being a criminal is apart of the genetic make up of this country. If America can have multiple chances to redeem itself...then why cant this person.

Some might say that the people of America didn’t have anything to do with the presidents CRIMINAL ACTS against these other countries, but he did all this in the name of the very country you all think you are defending! It was then OUR job, including mine, to hold him accountable and impeach his ###. Otherwise, the blood is on all of our hands. it just so happen that our people are so damn ignorant and stuck on stupid that we don’t care how many people has to die or be taken advantage of for us to maintain our lives as free Americans. And that, my judgmental fellow Americans is a crime! So while we are throwing around the word criminal like its some kind of soccer ball...please don’t forget to think of yourself in the same regard before you judge another.

the wise sayings goes something like..."let the person without sin, be the one to cast the fist stone." No where in that sentence does it say a liar is better then a thief, or a adulterer is better then a murderer…but all sin in general. So in other words if you cant answer the question or say something positive in his battle toward righteousness...then don’t say nothing at all!!!

I hope this educated some of the ignorance displayed on this Q&A and if not, I hope no more will persist.
D  24th of Feb, 2010 by
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
yes a company can charge you full price if you steal something remember the saying dont do the crime if you cant do the time how much money do you think a company loses when you steal and who does it affect the employees and the customers you say your sorry but you was not thinking of your actions when you stole and of course you say you are here from another country what do you think would happen there if you did this and i bet it not paying a fine
D  6th of Apr, 2010 by
Couple things, if you work for Kohls LP dont post here or at least announce it and say somthing stupid as to you ### slapping a shoplifter. That makes you a criminal as well if you didn't know if you were to do that and your professionalism goes right out the door as your now representing Kohls. Shoplifters "always" think they are entitled to the sale price on the sign...Let's just get this straight right now...Shoplifters dont get sale prices, you get what the tag says...PERIOD. You will get the sale price if you purchase the item. Sale prices are for Kohls customers who shop our store and provide a tender in trade for the items.

Have a nice day :)
N  3rd of Jul, 2010 by
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
Well these cheap stores like Kohl's and Macys get stuff from countries like India and Bangladesh and put 10 times the prices on them and try to make money. These stores deserve shop lifters. And LPs like the on talking about [censor] slapping are the ones who work n steal from the same place. SO cheap Stores and Cheap employees there.

We people in UK call US a cheap backward country, where calling rates are stil high, economy is still low and has nothing of its own. US is dependent on Other small countries and just like its people has no self respect of its OWN.
N  15th of Jul, 2012 by
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
So does Kohls use face recognition?
N  15th of Jul, 2012 by
Yes they do.
N  13th of Aug, 2012 by
Bottom line, a sale price is just that, a SALE. When it comes to shoplifting, you are charged for the RETAIL price. Besides, stealing is stealing, so trying to rationalize that you only stole 200, not 500 is pretty bad. Besides, even 200 dollars worth of stuff is a pretty good size cart full of items. You deserved to be caught.

Kohl's Department Stores Logo Kohl's Department Stores