Kohl's / Rude employees and unwritten policy!

1 Hendersonville, United States Review updated:
Phone: 615-826-2048

My wife and I go to Kohl's weekly to shop for clothes for her. She has spent thousands of dollars in this particular store in Hendersonville, TN. Today we went in as usual browsing clothes, and when she had picked out enough we made our way to the fitting room. We are nearly 30 and have been married for 3 years. She has always taken me in with her to comment on how the clothes fit and if she should buy or not. We have never had a problem doing this before, and there are NO signs posted stating that a man is not allowed to go in to the dressing room with his wife to give her opinions on her clothes. The main reason she takes me in is because she wants to save herself the embarrassment of having to walk out and show me in front of everybody if the clothes don't flatter her.

Well today like any other time, we go into the fitting room and she starts to try on the clothes. The only signs that I see on the wall say "5 items or less in the fitting room at one time", and a sign to the effect that the dressing rooms are monitored, so don't try to steal anything. NOTHING about men not being allowed inside the rooms.

Suddenly a terrible bang comes from outside and a woman starts yelling, yes YELLING about how I am NOT allowed in the rooms, that they are for woman only and I need to get out immediately, and how I should be ashamed of myself. I stated I was not aware of that policy and left the room, having to traverse the eyes of the bystanders that heard her outburst, and now think that I've done some 'lude' act in the dressing room with a girl. On top of this, my wife then has to go through the embarrassment of bringing every outfit out to show me, instead of being able to show me in the 'privacy' of the dressing room.

As I stood outside the dressing room, I started to become angry because I realized that NOWHERE did it state that I couldn't go in. It was as if I should magically have had this innate sense of etiquette that tells me that a man is not allowed to accompany his wife anywhere there are other women locked in rooms, whom I can't see trying on clothes. RIDICULOUS.

As the woman walked by I read her nametag. Kathleen. I was very polite to her. I said "Ma'am, I don't understand why I was asked to leave the dressing room?"

She began to make points that didn't add up.

1 - She stated that this fitting area was in the woman's clothing area and was therefore naturally intended for woman ONLY.

My problem with this. the sign says "For your convenience - FITTING ROOM". NOTHING about 'Female only' fitting room, 'Non-Male' fitting room...

I stated that we were a married couple for 3 years and were grown adults of 30 years. We had no intentions of any wrong-doing, and that I thought that she had been extremely rude and obnoxiously loud when we had done nothing wrong.

2 - She stated that it was a store policy and that all customers were required to follow it.

My response...WHERE IS IT WRITTEN? Where is it so that I know that? I would have no problem following a store policy if I know it exists.

Her response was that if I am a grown 30 yr old, I should know better! hmmpf.

So I asked to speak to her manager.

She gets on the phone and no doubt tells the manager her side of the story which I'm sure was twisted in her favor.

The manager comes over (not wearing a nametag; AMAZING) and proceeded to be as rude if not more rude than Kathleen. Stating that I should KNOW that I am not allowed in those dressing rooms.

I told her I wanted to see it in writing. If it is a store policy, than it must be in writing SOMEWHERE.

Her response - I don't have time to show you.

My response - well, we don't have time to buy these $300 worth of clothes.

Her response - I don't really care.

So there you have it...I would say this incident qualifies as discrimination when I am not allowed someplace when there are no signs posted saying I can't enter, especially when I am with my wife.

I will also be sending this to Kohl's headquarters in hopes they will at least take action to make sure this kind of incident doesn't happen again by posting signs and hopefully taking action against the parties involved that were extremely rude and hurtful to me and my wife.

Comments

11th of Apr, 2008

I find this complaint interesting for a couple of reasons. First, I think that both employees probably did handle the situation wrong. However, did you ever thinkr beyond the "embarrassement" of your wife? What about the "bystanders" who could have been offended by going into a fitting room with a male in the same room? These fitting rooms are, as you point out, PRIVATE! Women, and maybe more importantly, MEN, do not want you seeing or walking in while someone is looking at their potential purchases. As I am sure you noticed, there are 3 sided mirrors in most fitting rooms...do you think they are there to make the rooms look bigger? Common, think of more than just yourself!

• Sc
      18th of Apr, 2008

Surprisingly not allowing the opposite sex into a fitting room applies to every store nationwide even though it is not written everywhere. it's the same idea that guys aren't allowed into women's restroom..there are no signs saying no men/women allowed because it's technically common sense. the fitting room in department stores is limited to the gender of the department (misses dept is for women, mens dept is for men) you are in, which is why there are no in between fitting rooms or if there are there is a clear men and women side.

• Da
      13th of Jul, 2008

What a complete idiot!

Men don't belong in women's dressing rooms no more than they do women's public rest rooms! He is lucky he didn't go to jail for Disorderly Conduct or Disturbing the Peace. Furthermore after he was told to leave the dressing room and he argued about it, Trespassing after Notice might have been applied.

My question to the complainer?

Dude, are you stupid or something?

DAN

• Mi
      9th of Aug, 2008

You are right, there are no signs showing mens or womens fitting room, or that only one gender should be in fitting room. Have you stopped to think about other men going into fitting rooms with their wives? Would you mind other men being in there when you wife is but for some reason you are not? My husband is 6' 6" tall. How tall are the walls of the fitting rooms? Going on your idea, no sign everyone welcome, trying on bras might become a peep show. Its bad enough when there are children in with their mothers and they are crawling around her room and you hear her say "DON'T LOOK UNDER THERE!!!" I am sure you are not peeking but with soceity today women can never tell what the "man just helping his wife" is really up to. My suggestion, pick out everything she wants to try on, buy it, take it home, have a fashion show, then return what is not flattering on here. Yes, the employees handled this very badly.

• Sh
      1st of Oct, 2008

Common sense and decency dicate the appropriate behavior in this case. It was the women's dresssing room and you are not a woman, right? You do not belong there. Further if your wife is embarassed to show unflattering clothes in front of everybody, imagine how the other women in the dressing room feel when they are forced to show off their choices in front of you. Why are you forcing yourself into this situation. Surely you've ntoiced their is typically one big mirror and it is hung in the common area, where you are hanging out. Consider the good of the whole vs. the good of the individual. You are offending other customers just because your wife has some insecurities. The other female customers who in total spend more than you do, have their liberty compromised with your presence as they are unable to freely roam and examine themselvers in the WOMEN'S Fitting room when you are they.

I'd also question that if your wife already thinks the cltoher are unflattering, why is she showing them to you at all and why would she consider buying them?

Buying clothes is a comparitively simple decsion. Does your wife bring you to job interviews? To work? To buy food? Gas? If your opionion and privacy are so critical and your wife cannot make these decisions on her own, why not buy the clothes and have her try them at home? If you veto her choices, they can be returned.

• Li
      18th of Nov, 2008

As a woman, I would have been furious if you were in the dressing rooms. Commen sense (of which you apparently have none) dicate that men should NOT be in the female dressing room areas. Kohl's would have been more liable if they allowed you to do that and then fielded dozens of complaints about it at their corporate headquarters. In fact, they probably would have had a class action lawsuit. God knows what you were doing in those rooms and if your poor wife couldn't walk out to show you, then she should have purchased the items, brought them home and RETURNED what she didn't want. Both of you apparently have very poor judgement and Kohl's wins on this one.

• Bi
      1st of Feb, 2009

This guys is a complete idiot!! Stay out of the women's fitting room ###!

• Rh
      23rd of Feb, 2009
    Best Best Advice +6 Votes

you people are all crazy. is it common for women to try on bras not in the fitting room itself? there's closed off fitting rooms, it's not just a whole big room where all the women change together and this dude went in. he's not going to see any of the other women. this guy is right. a women's bathroom is marked. if there wasn't a woman on the door of the bathroom how would you know? this happened to me with my 8 year old daughter this weekend. so not only did i look creepy, but i looked creepy in front of my little girl. if you're filing a discrimination suit, let's make it a class action.

• Hk
      2nd of Oct, 2009

ahh i spend thousands of dollars remark ive heard so often!!!who cares how much money you spend there..it doesnt allow you to do what ever you want!!!stay out of dressing room its uncomfortable for other women!!!

• Ti
      7th of Nov, 2009

You really are nuts! You should consider yourself lucky i wasn't one of the women in that dressing room that day.
    If they were meant to be unisex dressing rooms there wouldn't be a separate womens or mens in the first place.
    AND if you think you are right..you should get yourself some serious help because there is seriously something wrong with you.
    You're wife can't be that insecure about how she looks..she was out in the first place.

19th of Jan, 2010

your an idoit. i don't care if there wasn't a sign stated no men allowed, have common sense. i hardly doubt that there was a loud BANG on the door. who cares that u are married 3yrs and in your thirty"s, does that give u the right to do what u want, also who cares how much u spend in the store, belive me 1 lost customer one gained. and for the associatesd who u said twisted her story, i don't think so, and n0 manager is going to tell u that they don't have time to show u the store policy, u should know better. what if there were young girls in there, i work at KOHL'S and if i ever see a man going into the ladies dressing room i'm calling security!!! also i think your wife can come out of the dressing room and show u what she tried on. get over it.

• Tn
      11th of Jun, 2010
    Kohl's - Fictional charges
    Kohl's

I rounded up my Kohl's payment, which should have left a .53 balance. When I got my next bill I noticed that credit balance wasn't there and checked my previous online statement. Kohl's had simply added a .53 charge to take my extra money! I just called and they'll reverse it, but if this is happening to all cardholders, I'm sure there's others out there who sometimes round up their payment.

• Dy
      24th of Jul, 2010

I had a very similar incident at a Kohl's in Texas, what i find interesting is that none of the comments honestly address the actual issue that these dressing rooms are not labeled women or Mens unlike rest rooms as some people use as an example... on top of that in these dressing rooms there are separate stalls with their own doors for privacy. The fact that he was asked to leave is clear gender Discrimination. What if it was a father helping his daughter or a husband helping a handicapped wife does that change anything? I wasn't yelled at but the women that addressed me while I was bringing my girlfriend a shirt that she requested implied that i was a pervert and a pedophile for having been in the dressing room conversing for a whole 15 seconds with my Girlfriend. When we approached the woman who was the manager on duty at the time to resolve the issue she became extremely defensive and continued to point out the fact that she was protecting young girls and that I may be a bad guy. To the rest of the comments, wait until you are shamed and embarrassed by some woman you don't know for not doing any wrong and we'll see your tune change, the fact that you let your civil rights be trampled by Kohl's employees is ridiculous.

• Ai
      2nd of Aug, 2010

While it is true that the fitting rooms are not labeled, it still does apply that you should not be in the fitting rooms in the womens departments...

It isn't that we don't trust you guys, not at all. It's simply this: we receive complaints from other customers who are uncomfortable with men in the vicinity. I've heard all kinds of weird ones. Also? We've had couples having sex in the fitting rooms. It's for our protection, and for the protection of our other customers.

But you're right. We don't have labeled fitting rooms, nor do we have a clearly posted set of rules regarding the fitting rooms. I've often wondered why we aren't better organized in that way.

But long story short...please use your discretion, and your common sense. We aren't trying to be mean at all.

• Hi
      13th of Mar, 2011

I recently experienced the very same situation at a texas kohls. And I will be following up with legal action.
    These people have no idea who I am. And it is not up to me to accomodate other customers ( male or female )
    It is up to the business to accomodate all genders, races, ethnicities and so on.

I was also told other customers were uncomfortable that I was in the private dressing room with my wife. Not my problem what others r comfortable with. Last time I checked, this was the USA and if there is NO POLICY that states NO MEN ALLOWED then I and my wife are adults and free to share the expierence of shopping, fitting and trying on clothes as we see fit.

Go to wallmart and u will find a central dressing area that is unisex and has full doors, complete privacy.

So it is time for kohls to change its dressing room design. And or provide gender specific rooms.

It was complety rediculous that we walked to the mens department and there were womens clothes not 20 ft away from the dressing room area in that department. We used that dressing area and no one had a problem.

My wife is a size 7 and very attractive, so dont flatter yourself and try and impose your will and inflate your ego by convincing yourself I am looking at you changing clothes. " get a life and mind your business"

• Ko
      6th of Jun, 2011

Get a life

• El
      12th of Jun, 2011

What is really sad that in this day and age, someone would even THINK that a store not having "clearly marked" dressing rooms is worth a lawsuit.
    I am saddened by the death of common sense and common courtesy. Common sense tells ME that if there is a dressing room in the MEN'S section, it must be for men. If it is in the LITTLE GIRL'S section - hey, probably for little girls. Common courtesy tells me that even if I want my husband to approve of my outfit, I will need to come OUT where he can see me, because other women don't want HIM in the dressing room!
    I feel sorry for the Kohl's employees who had to spend their valuable time explaining this to a 30 year old man. But I REALLY feel sorry for those who think it is some kind of civil rights violation to ask a man not to hang out in the women's dressing room. Sad.

17th of Sep, 2011
    Kohl's - Avoid them
    Kohl's

Maria new supervisor of LP at Kohls in Northern California is an abusive monster!

Avoid working here. This is a terrible place to work.

• Pl
      11th of Jan, 2012

Round down if you're zeroing your balance. The .53 charge will fall off too.

• 19
      24th of Nov, 2013

I work for Kohl's and would love to write a book someday on stupidity of customers.
    There have been reported cases of men going into women's dressing rooms using mirrors to look under and watch women as they undress. Couples having sex in dressing rooms. I do not know about all Kohl's but our doors when closed have a small gap and you can see inside the dressing room. So to the complainer you think you were picked on and treated rudely. Poor baby. I am sure you would be the 1st to scream the other way if someone was spying on your wife So please take your $300.00 worth of cloths and go to Walmart, I don't want your business, and I do not think Kohl's will go bankrupt over losing you as a customer Wow would I love to be able to tell some customers face to face the same thing.