Kmart / debit card memo hold

1 3203 KY RT 469 Paintsville, KY, United States

I have a layaway (129614) at the paintsville, kentucky store (4827). I got a phone call on 2/10/10 that my layaway payment was late and would be put back on shelf if a payment wasn't made. I was snowed in and couldn't get to the store, so I made a payment online. (Which I thought was very convenient at the time). Here is my complaint— at the time of my original layaway I used my personal debit card to layaway the tv. I authorized a $50.00 debit at that time. When I got online I didn't have enough money in the personal account, so I used my joint debit card to make that payment. I authorized a debit of 89.45 to be taken out of my joint account. I noticed later that evening that kmart had put a hold on my personal account but I didn't give them permission to use that account for the payment. I tried calling the 800 number who told me that I would have to speak to the store directly. The store was closed at that point, so the next day I called the store who told me I had to call the 800 number. I then called the 800 number again and was told that they could not help that I had to go to the local store. This went back and forth for two days. I finally got out on saturday the 13th and went to the store only to be told that they couldn't help me because I made payment online I had to deal with the online customer service. So I called them again and asked to speak to a manager. I was patched through to michael black who told me that I would have to get a fax number, name and name of bank then email to him and he would present a letter to my bank to release my money. I asked him why they put a hold on a card that I did not give permission to and he told me that when I used that card to layaway I gave permission for your store to use it at any time to make payments. I strongly disagreed with him, but he insisted that I gave that permission at time of layaway. Let me make myself clear. I gave permission for kmart to debit $50.00 from my personal debit card at time of layaway, not to use that card at any time. I am so angry about the store using a card that I did not tell them to, and then giving me the run around and making me jump through hoops just to get my money released. I thought when I layed that tv away that it was a good thing. I have always tried to shop at kmart instead of wal-mart but this has really underminded my faith in your store. I thought my debit card would be safe with your company and now I hesitate to use it at all.