KIA Motors Corporation / 2013 kia sorento lx - engine

1 Austin, CO, United States

I purchased my 2013 Kia Sorento LX on September 10th, 2014. I had heard so many good things about Kia, especially that a company would give 100K warranty. What company does that unless they know their cars are made to last. From day one of my purchase I took my car to Southwest Kia on Research Blvd in Austin, Texas. I have serviced my car on time with the same dealership I purchased the car from.

Right before my license plate inspection was due my car went in for maintenance, I believe fuel injectors cleaned, oil change, transmission service, etc. and I told them I am going to be traveling in 2 weeks. Every time I would take a long trip I always took my car to be checked before taking my trip. I was given the green light. On September 4th, drove about 320 miles, I am person that drives car at speed limits, I always pay attention to that little light that says econo... On September 5th, I was driving back and about 60 miles more a less. I was in a highway, I had just filled up the tank of gas... and on a highway I looked down to see my mileage I was driving at 70 miles which is 5 miles under the speed limit and I was about 15 miles outside the town I had just filled up the tank and I saw the engine light go on, and then the oil and then battery.. I immediately turned on my emergency lights and took my foot off the pedal and parked the car on the side of the highway, I turned it off. I decided then to try turning it on, but all the lights radio turn on but it would not click to start.

I then called AAA to have it towed to the nearest town where there was a KIa dealership which was 50 miles away from where I broke down. I was told that they would be 115.00 dollar charge to get a computer test. I explained to the service adviser at the Kia Dealership in Abiline Texas that their was no smoke, no noise, no sound, it happen all of the sudden. They asked me if I recently had an oil change and I said yes my car had gone for service about 1 1/2 week or 2 prior and was serviced at Southwest Kia in Austin. The service advisor at that time informed without even checking the car that their were no engine recalls with my vin number. I thought it was kind of odd to make that comment if we haven't even checked the car.
The next day I received a call from Kia Abiline, telling me that all my fluids were clean, but that it seem that their was an Oil pump malfunction and that this caused the engine to lock and that I needed a New Engine and that my car was not one on the list of engine recalls. He stated that they had been some recalls on 2013 Kia Sorentos for engine but my car was not one of them. Eventually I was told that it would cost me a 14 thousand dollars for a new engine, and that Kia had a back log on new engines ant that it could be 1 month, 1 year or more before they could get me an engine. If I wanted an engine from another Kia, it would cost about 8, 000 dollars for an engine with 94k miles on it with only a 3 month guarantee. Then I checked what the value of my car will be in the blue book and it was 8500 dollars. My Kia has 107k miles and I can not believe that I need a new engine. I sincerely think after talking to several mechanics that this is a Kia problem that my oil pump malfunction and this is what caused my engine to lock.

I just made my last payment on my car 2 days ago. I have a car that KIa sold me and that 110k miles that died, with no notice of something going on. I am totally disappointed and frustrated that I thought I was buying a car that was dependable and that properly maintained will last more than the warranty. To top it off the dealership will only give me 500.00 dollars with a car that is in excellent conditions, with new tires, new brake pads, and that has been properly maintained for the last 5 years and why is my 2013 Kia Sorento Lx not on the list of recalls if other 2013 Kia Sorento are?

I would kindly appreciate if you would contact me with an explanation.
Irene Selby