Kenmore / Terrible quality product!

1 Terre Haute, IN, United States Review updated:

Kenmore range-- do not buy another range from any sears store!!! Mine is just over a year old the oven has been used just 6 times and the control board that runs the whole range has code f1-e1 meaning the board is junk now they will sell ya a new board for just $300 now that may not be much to some people but come on i can buy a cheaper model from another store for what they want just for the part to fix this piece of junk and i am not the only one if you look. There are many many people having the same problem with the same control board and they will not fix the problem!!! Even if it is a defect you must pay for it all yourself!! I will never buy another thing from any sears store.as long as i live!!!

Mi

Comments

• Ka
      16th of Jun, 2008

I had the exact same experience with a Sears Elite range. After less than 3 years of use - got an F7 error code and the repairman said I needed new control panel. Cost from Sears just for part(control panel) $493. I found the part for $307 elsewhere. Once you add the $65 fee for Sears to come out to my house the first time, then the $161 labor to install the part- the total to repair this range was $533. This is not counting my time off work for the repair (2 visists)or the 11 days of eating out as we had no way to cook. I paid $1, 600 for it and got less than 3 years use. Please do not buy Kenmore products- their quality has gone down the tubes.

• Ba
      20th of Jul, 2008

We got the same F7 code. When I called Sears to arrange service, I specifically told the service center what code I had and asked for a general ballpark figure to fix it. She said a service man would have to look at it. Fair enough, I thought. So for $75 plus an added $5 for gas (the service center failed to alert me to the new gas surcharge), the service man came to my house and when I told him about the F7 code he didn't lay hand nor sight of eye on my oven and told me it would cost over $500 parts, labor and year warranty to fix it. So, not only do Kenmore appliances fail, Sears call service center does do.

• Ar
      30th of Aug, 2008

A permanent fix for the F7 error problem was developed by Charlie Popeck, a professional engineer. It involves inserting a piece of paper between two ribbon cables to eliminate the possibility of short circuit between the two cables. The 30 minute procedure is described (including photos) at the web site