Jo-Ann Fabrics / refused to renew my teacher's card

On Tues., Feb. 9, I gathered supplies to decorate my school display board at our Peoria Jo-Ann Fabrics. I presented my 2009/10 IEA Teacher's ID card so I could receive a new discount card. I also brought in our school's tax discount (which the cashier said expired in Jan 2010) sheet dated Jan 2005--the only one, we as faculty at our school, have had to work with. It was a snow day and I reached the school secretary at home and she said that was the only form we had. The school ID was the same.
So, they would not honor that tax exempt, but what was infuriating was they refused to let me renew my teacher's card when I had presented the proper ID. I have been a customer for at least ten years and everytime I had to renew, I had to present our "Active IEA" professional teachers assoc membership card to prove I was a teacher.
That wasn't good enough on Tuesday. I went to a register that was not being used while the employee went back to discuss this. I waited and waited. Finally, she came out and then I believe the manager, and said I could not renew my teacher's card--that I have to have the school tax exempt sheet first with a new date on it. I WANTED TO PURCHASE THE ITEMS WITHOUT THE TAX EXEMPT and just as a teacher and they refused. My items were left in a cart and they said only 24 hrs. hold and I had to provide a new tax exempt sheet. Needless to say, we had another snow day, so that was not possible. The aggravating part was once they said no, the manager walked away and the employee started ringing up the next customer. Kind of left me hanging there. I asked what to do with the cart and she said leave it there. I was pretty much ignored at that point. Depends on who is there as to how you get treated.

Comments

• Lo
      11th of Feb, 2010

Jo-Ann has an email address for comments and concerns about the Teacher Rewards discount card: TeacherRewards@joann.com. You can expect a response within a few days.