HSBC / never use hsbc

I have an HSBC credit card through Best Buy. I had put maybe $1, 700 on the card. I got married and moved to a different state. I changed mt address with the post office and with HSBC. And I stopped getting a statement in the mail from HSBC. I didn't sweat it, cause I pay the bill on-line anyway. So every month I send my min payment of $50. Usually the min payment was always around $47-$48. And I always checked on-line on my HSBC account to make sure I was making the right payment. Then about 6 months ago when I went to log in to my account on-line for HSBC it said I could not access my account because it was being reevaluated. What that meant I had no idea. So I just kept making my $50 payments every month. All the sudden last month I start getting collection calls telling me I'm over-due on my payments. No way. I'm never late and never miss a payment. After about an hour on the phone fighting with someone who didn't really speak english I was told that about 5 months earlier my bill was $51 and I had made a payment of $50. How was I supposed to know this??? I wasn't getting a statement (something I had called and asked about many times) and I was locked out of my on-line account. So I had been accumulating late fees every month for 5 months because I had missed a bill by $1. No one had contacted me to tell me "hey you missed your bill by $1 would you like to take care of that before you get late fees?" That would have been nice. But no, I guess what they did is after 3 months of late fees they send a notice in the mail! Seeing as though I can't get my statement in the mail from them a lot of good it was to send me a notice in the mail. I obviously never got it. So here I am now getting collection calls every hour Monday through Sunday, wanting me to pay my $209 in late fees. This is insane! There seems to be nothing I can do.

So, just a warning to others never to use HSBC. They are the worst company I have ever dealt with.

Rj

Comments

• Fl
      3rd of Mar, 2010

First of all, even if you dont get a statement, you still have a bill. You can contact HSBC (at the number on the back of your card) and go through internet support to unlock your account (which by the way auto unlocks after 20 minutes). You can call to change your address, and then your statements go out to the correct address. No one is going to personally call you when your bill is late, and guess why? It's your responsiblity to be aware of the minimum payment, and make it! Do you realize how many MILLIONS of customers have accounts at HSBC? You think it's their responsibility to personally call you before you get late fees? Read your cardmember agreement and you'll see the fees explained in black and white. Not trying to be mean here, but really---accept responsiblity.