H&R Block / charge for free e-filing

I just completed my 2010 taxes on line with H&R Blocks free file program. The program was fairly easy to use with easy to follow help instructions. However, once the forms are completed and ready to be sent the payment page asks for a $9.95 payment for the state tax portion of the filing. I filed New York State Taxes and their is a section of the program at the beginning clearly stating that the state taxes are filed free in participating states, and NY is listed as a participating state.

There were no contact phone numbers availble on the program and it took some digging to find one. Once I found a number, [protected] option #2, I explained the issue. I was told that the free filing was only for the federal taxes and that the state taxes are normally 19.95, but through the free file program they are 9.95.

I explained to the customer service rep that it clearly states in the H&R Block program that the state filing is also free for participating states and that New York is listed on their program as a participating state. I was told that it must be a glich in the program because the state filing costs 9.95.

I then told the customer representaive that my fiancee had filed her taxes with the program and that she had encountered the same problem and she had been given a code to bypass the payment. The rep then told me she would put me on hold to get me a "key code" to bypass payment. Obviously one has to know to mention the key code in order to get one. This is clearly a money making feature because if the filers don't mention the "key code" the representatives never bring it up. It's clearly not a glich in the program otherwise...why would there be a "key code" option on the payment options page of the program?

Jo