Home Depot - Chicago, IL / employee ordered in inches rather than feet!

1 United States

I ordered a replacement french door from the Home Depot on Elston in Chicago, IL through my contractor. The door was poorly made and didn't fit. When I tried to return the door because it was defective, the manager refused to waive the restocking fee unless I ordered another door. My contractor went back a few days later to reorder the door. The employee entering the order put the measurements in as inches rather than feet! My 6'2" high door was now a little over 5 feet! The door was in a box so my contractor didn't realize the mistake until he hauled it to my condo unit--the top floor of a walk-up 4 story. When I called the manager he refused to answer the phone. The operator told me I would probably have to come to the store and hunt the manager down since he regularly avoids talking to disgruntled customers on the phone. The guy in millworks and the manager (once I finally got a hold of him after dozens of calls) were emphatic that I had ordered a 5' door and I would have to pay the restocking fee and order yet another door. Neither the millworks employee or the manager could explain to my why anyone would order a french door that most people couldn't walk through! The mistake was obvious, particularly in light of the fact that the previously ordered door's specs were correct (even though the door wasn't made to spec) and that the measurements of the second door were clearly in feet and inches, not inches as the millwork employee had entered. So much for "you can do it, we can help!" The multiple mistakes cost me several hundred dollars and a lot of time that I will never get back. Never again! I will drive clear across the city to go to another hardware store in order to avoid Home Depot.

Bd