Holmes Honda / Scam and lies

1 United States

I wanted a used car and therefore I contacted a salesman at this dealership and asked him to help me find it. It was just 2 days and he found a car and I agreed to buy it, and we negotiated the price. I needed it for my work but it needed a repair so I had to wait a week after we agreed on the deal. On the day I was to pick it up, I called our county to determine the cost of license, taxes and transfer fee. Armed with that and the price we agreed on I put money into my checking account to cover it. When I got to the dealership I was handed over to the man doing the paperwork. He was giving me the total cost which was $135 more than I had figured so I asked why. He said it was an administrative fee for handling the paperwork. He tried to comfort me with the line that if I buy a car here I have to pay it too. My problem is that this is thrown in at the last minute after I as a customer have made a deal and am ready to drive off. They know the psychology is such that most people will pay just to end the hassle of spending time looking for another car. Honest profit is necessary and they have a right to get their price, but sneaking in an additional charge at the end is manipulative, and dishonest. This fee has put their salespeople in the position of deceiving customers so they can squeeze additional money out of each deal. If I had known of this charge up front, I would have tried to negotiate a better deal. Make a through inquire before purchasing he car.

Ni