HGTV / hgtv magazine subscription scam

I received an email out of the blue today "thanking for my order" and telling me that I owe them $18.

Upon searching the web, I found two similar complaints, one of which provided the phone number to call (thankfully!). That phone number is no where in the mystery invoice email or on the hgtv and hgtv magazine websites.

I am repeating that number here in case this happens to anyone else so that they know exactly who to call: [protected].

The customer service representative told me that I "ordered" the magazine when I entered their hgtv smart home sweepstakes.

This is total and utter crap and a scam!

I have entered hgtv sweepstakes (dream home, smart home, etc.) for years, and I have never had this happen to me. Nor do I "select" a box ordering a subscription.in fact, I don't check any boxes for info on their other websites, etc.

I am so disappointed in hgtv and am also notifying the bbb of this scam.

If this happens to you, please call the number above and demand that they cancel your account and ask them to send you a confirmatory email so that you can prove you requested this, should they decide to try again to collect from you. Thankfully, I did receive such an email from them as soon as I called.

Unbelievable. They have lost a long-standing supporter and I will never enter their sweepstakes again.

Hg
Jun 29, 2017

Comments

• Ar
      14th of Jul, 2017

It will be a COLD day in hell when we will send the deviant perverts of HGTV one red cent.

• Tb
      28th of Nov, 2017

They sent me a subscription too. I never gave them permission. I think it was because I entered their sweepstakes. I couldn't believe when I got a magazine in the mail, and a bill saying I owe $18.00. Yes this is a scam.