The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website
Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In

H & R Block / paying more for bad service

1 1829 S Coast HwyCA, United States Review updated:

I went to H & R Block to have my taxes done, and paid the $200. to have my money paid to me the next day. When my taxes where turned in there were several mistakes which I was called to correct. Then apparently they were not turned in or lost. I called several times and no one returned my calls, nobody could answer what happened to the money. Then finally I got through to someone in the main office and was told my taxes would be free.

In the end when I received my check it came with a coupon for 50% off my taxes next year at H & R Block. The $200. was not refunded.

Sort by: UpDate | Rating


  • An
      17th of Mar, 2009
    0 Votes

    I have done my own taxes since I bought my first home in 1982. This year I worked in two different states, bought a home and had moving expenses so I thought it might be best to get a "professional" to do my taxes this year. Boy did I get screwed...the lady did not know what form to fill out for the second state and most of my refund went to them despite the fact I had so many deductions. I filed a complaint with BBB only to find out H&R Block are NOT members. Nor did they respond to the many request of the BBB Investigator.
    Never again, it does not pay to do the right thing if H&R Block does your taxes! RUN FORREST, RUN

  • Te
      14th of Feb, 2010
    0 Votes

    If you go to an H&R Block office and have a unique situation, call ahead and ask to have an appointment made with a tax pro that has at least 10 years of service with the company as well as demonstrated experience in the areas you are concerned about (multi-state income, for example). An HRB office is a mix of seasoned veterans and "newbs", all able to do different things. I can't say anything that makes better past, bad experiences, but neither can I indict all preparers that work for HRB as charlatans.

  • Ta
      21st of Mar, 2010
    0 Votes

    10 years of service does not mean the preparer is an expert at anything.

    Demonstrated experience is a great criteria but unfortunately most of us do not prepare all 50
    states in a given year.

    If you want the best H&R Block has to offer, then insist that an Enrolled Agent (EA) prepare your return. We don't have EAs in my area, so your next best bet is a Senior Tax Advisor V.

  • Wh
      10th of May, 2011
    0 Votes

    I paid h and r block over 500.00 dollars for my taxes and still nothing. When I filed they said that I would receive my taxes is 20 days, but 2 months later nothing. I am so mad. When you try and call no one is there they left and when you contact IRS all they say is "working on it". I feel that I should not have to pay next year or receive my money back. Why did I pay 500.00 no one can answer my question. I only have one job and my husband is unemployed and just had twin girls. Nothing very hard, I will never use h and r block again.

Post your comment