H and R Block / over billing!

1 Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States Review updated:

Beware, company quotes a 69 dollar prep fee for basic return. They quote additional forms are more. When they did my return, basic form was over 100 dollars, others added up to 550. dollars for the return. Simple return, no stocks, no bank accounts, no nothing to report. Went to three offices and found they charge for each entry placed on the form. They then charge several times for each form that they put that entry on. Each entry is from 7.50 to 40.00 dollars. District manager refused to do any thing about it. He denies everything including the 69 dollar quote. Even when I made him call another office on the speaker telephone from his office and they quoted the 70.00 fee and more for additional forms, he refused to address the issues. Can't believe what they say. Millions of customers(mostly poor and in need seek this service, billions for profit for the company). There should be laws. They also have a bank, sell stocks and bonds, and plan for your retirement. If it's the same business practice in these areas, be careful, be very careful.

Comments

• Hr
      17th of Jan, 2009

H&R Block not only rip off the clients but also the people they recruit to work for them. They charge a fee of $200+ to take the cousre. A required 69 hours with 80% passing grade. Then you go to another 30 hour class. They have you go to the office you choose to work in to do case studies and state that they pay you (OJT); but they wait until some time has passed and tell you just before the tax season starts the the time you spend in the office doing case studies that you got paid for will be deducted from your commissions. One person told me the first year he really didn't make any money.
    They charge the clients exhuberent prices on doing the return and getting an advance loan on the return. I was so disgusted I left and didn't go back. They not only want you to work for free and you're also a bank agent when you offer products for HSBC. The commissions ( no mention of what percentage ) come from the products/services the clients purchases. I agree with you totally, they are a ripoff. That why the IRS is offering tax preparation on their website for free poor poeple can't afford those rates. With the situation the economy is in right now (2008/9) you need every dollar to live. Con Edison, MTA, Food Perscriptopns, everything shot up.

• Fo
      24th of Dec, 2009

Every tax pro has a contract that they must sign and agree to, before working for H & R Block or its Franchisee' you should have read your contract and adendum before beginning work. If you did not understand the contract you should have asked.

• Cu
      5th of Feb, 2010

I went to H & R Block this year to get my taxes done. The girl, Connie was GREAT. She TALKED to me, asking questions in order to allow me to get the best refund (if any). Other places I have used just assume you already know EVERYTHING that you can show or not show on your taxes. If I knew all that, I would do my long form tax return myself. She was VERY good at customer service relations; Yes I would highly recommend her. The problem: The cost H & R Block charges you to file is ripping off the customer with all the gusto they can. Connie was wonderful with me doing my taxes (a SMALL business with a lot of home issues, mortgages and etc). Yes, I did receive a little over $500.00 in refund, but H & R Block charged $450.00 to file taxes. I don't have an extra $450.00 lying around to throw away, just living paycheck to paycheck. I called the local office to find out where I could call and complain about the outrageous cost, and am waiting for the district manager to call me. Bottom Line: I will call H & R Block next year to see if Connie is there--hoping she will go some other place where they don't take you to the cleaners, but I will NOT use H & R Block again and be ripped off unless THEY MAKE SOME CHANGES IN THEIR FILING CHARGES. THE GOVERNMENT SHOULD STEP IN AND STOP THIS. MAYBE THEY WILL HAVE TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS...