Georgia Power / astronomical charges

1 Lithonia, GA, United States Review updated:

My family of seven w/five minors (all under 7yrs) moved into a split level home well over a year ago and our monthly bill had always averaged around $100-150. But for the past three months our bill had double, then tripled. Just like every other citizen i wondered why but continued to pay the bill, since i always been budgeted for my average amount that's what i continued to pay. Then i get a letter saying that an additional DEPOSIT of $95 was required and was added to my bill. I continued my payment schedule then i received a bill that was $460 + Georgia Power had added ANOTHER "REQUIRED" DEPOSIT of $115. After contacting GP about the situation they told me that it was an "AUTOMATED" charge and there was nothing they could do about it. Times are hard these days and everyone can't just dish-out an extra 100 bucks when they obviously can't make full payment on their already HIGH bill. This should be illegal!!! Something should be done about this issue!!

Comments

• Po
      8th of Sep, 2010

Poor consumer energy management is the issue 98% of the time. By servicing your HVAC unit annually, keeping the thermostat above 77 degress in summer and buying energy efficient appliances will keep bills low. We've had the hottest summer according to the amt. of continues days above 98 degrees. Each day that is hotter than the next, will reguire your unit to work harder; thus, causing your bill to increase due to usage.

Stop looking at the amount of the bill and pay attention to the KWH usage. that will be a better indicator as to what is going on. If your KWH is the same from last year, but your bill is drastically more, you have a billing error. If your usage increased, you most likely have an ill performing device within the house.