Geico / doesn't pay to be honest

On 6/13/08 I was coming around the back corner of my apartment complex that I live at when a fire truck came racing towards me. I started backing up because it is a very small area, to let them through and accidentally backed into a car's rear quarter panel that was parked illegally in a driveway.

Now we have been customers of Geico for 3 years and I am 43 years old and have NEVER been in an accident. We have NEVER filed a claim with Geico.

Anyway, I didn't know whose car it was so I left a note on the car and when I got off work I called Geico to let them know what had happened. I was told that if I didn't hear from them that my insurance would not go up and also that it may not go up because we were long time customers and had never filed a claim before. If it did go up it would more than likely not be a lot.

I waited for the people to call, nothing. Then, over the weekend (7/4/08) my husband was looking through our bills for the month and found that Geico had raised our insurance rates about 50.00 a month!

I thought that maybe Geico had got a hold of the people and that they had placed a claim, so I called. Geico told me that they had an open claim for about another week on the accident, no one had contacted them and that the reason that they raised my insurance rates was because I was honest enough to report the accident. So, no money was paid out, no accident was taken care of and they still raised my payments. What a scam!!!

Needless to say we are looking elsewhere for insurance.

Va

Comments

• Ga
      7th of Aug, 2008

I've been a GEICO insured for many years in several states. According to every contract I've had if there was zero payout the rates do not increase. Might pay to read your contract, either this is in error or fictional.

• Li
      17th of Oct, 2008

I work for GEICO, ask what the payout was. If you are a preferred (GEICO or GEICO GENERAL) or average risk (GEICO INDEMNITY) customer and the payout is less than 500 dollars, then there is no surcharge. GEICO will only surcharge on your next renewal, and only when the claim is closed. There was either a payout or an error, so double check. Couldn't hurt. If this is surchargeable, then the other insurance company you get will also surcharge the activity for three years. Insurance sucks sometimes.

• Ti
      31st of Mar, 2009

Any time you have an at-fault accident your rates go up! Do your ###ing homework you ###!