Gardner White / terrible service

1 Taylor, MI, United States Review updated:

Last Dec. (2009) we purchased a living room set from Gardner White, and since then, they have been out to our house 3 times to try to fix the furniture. The recliners on the sofa and loveseat are broken and the company who makes the furniture went out of business so we can't get a new couch from them, so Gardner White told us to reselect a couch, and we were fine with that. So, we went into the store to reselect and asked the store manager what price range we got to reselect from, and he said $1999 or cheaper, anything over, you're responsible for paying, so that's what we did, we found a sectional for $1999 after being in the store for about 2 hrs. or more. We thought everything was set to go until they want us to pay $200 more for the wedge piece that comes with the sectional. We were upset because the wedge was included in the pink sticker price of $1999 with the sofa and loveseat and now you want to tack on $200 more. I don't understand how they can do that. We were told one thing and stayed within that price range and now you want to charge us more. We talked to the store manager of Gardner White and he said that's the best deal they could give us. I still don't understand how that happens when the price of the sofa, loveseat, wedge was $1999 and we got to pick a couch that was $1999 or below. So, I took it upon myself to call corporate office and their area manager was rude to me and when I said they could come pick up their furniture then, she said we don't give out refunds, you can only reselect. When I told her what was said to us, she still didn't want to help us out and continued to be rude. After hanging up the phone with her, I called corporate back and asked to speak to the CEO or President of the company and the secretary tells me that no such person exists and that the Area Manager is the highest person in the company. I highly doubt that because someone has to own the company, and they refused to let me speak to someone even further. Mind you, we've not even had this couch for a year, and it's still under warranty and they don't want to give us the couch, loveseat, and wedge for the price listed and want us to pay $200 more. We even asked them to show us couches that we could choose from and they did that. If that couch wasn't available to us in the $1999 price range, even though the price tag said it was, why did you show it to us? We've been long time customers of Gardner White for years and everything in our house is gardner white, and the first time something in our house falls apart, you want to be rude to us and charge us more for something that's still under warranty. I will never shop at Gardner White furniture again, and advise others not to shop their either. We've never had this problem with them being rude to us before and this was really shocking for us to be treated this way.

Comments

• Da
      12th of Jan, 2011

We have the same issue going on right now. We received our couch and love seat in Dec 2010 and since it was damaged I called with 48hrs to report and now they won't replace or repair anything. I've spoken to so many people at this place it's insane. WE are the customers and WE have rights as well. We're at a loss here and my husband can't take the physical strain do to his heart condition, I just don't know what to do.