Gardner-White Furniture Logo

Gardner-White Furniture

Having problems with Gardner-White Furniture?

+1 248 481 2200 (Customer Care (Service & Deliveries)
+1 586 774 8853 (Main Line / Corporate Office)
+1 810 229 1754 (Brighton, MI)
+1 734 844 3190 (Canton, MI)
+1 586 566 2610 (Macomb Township, MI)
+1 248 481 2106 (Novi, MI)
+1 248 357 1380 (Southfield, MI)
+1 313 295 1820 (Taylor, MI)
+1 586 826 8300 (Warren, MI)
+1 586 776 8860 (Warren, MI)
+1 248 674 8990 (Waterford, MI)
4445 N Atlantic Blvd
Fri9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sat9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Sun12:00 PM - 4:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

poor quality and even worse customer service

Not amused! On Aug 9th while I was home for a friend’s wedding, my boy friend and I found this bedroom...

lying sales mgr

Purchased a I-Comfort mattress $2400 worth, first one lasted 2 months and failed mfg specs. Next one lasted 8...

does not care about their employees

The owners of Gardner White does not care about their employees. I was bullied and harrased on a daily basi...

cheaply made furniture

We bought a love seat and 2 recliners from the Canton store last March. Within a month of having the furniture, the stuffing was packing down and shifting in the arms, the cushion of the one chair was lumpy and the handle on one chair was chipping paint. We called them in January of 2012. Since then 3 people have been out. The first time all the guy did was take pictures and submit some of the complaint, but not all of it, and said someone would call us. They never did, so we went down there to talk to a manager. We got Shannon. She assured us someone would come out and take care of it. Someone else came out and he did replace the one cushion and added another core to the recliner, but then told us that he was not going to be adding stuffing to the arms, because that was another person that had to take care of that and it was about a four hour job. I talked to Shannon again and asked her to set up the appointment with the other person that could add the stuffing. She again made me believe that the correct person was going to be coming out to add stuffing to the arms, and we did set up that appointment. When the man came out all he did was change the handle on the chair. He was there maybe 5 minutes, and again said that was an all day appointment and that he couldn't do it. Three times now I've sat around here waiting for their service people to come fix the problem, and 3 times have been disappointed by the result. I'm tired of Shannon's false promises, and again that man told me someone would call and they again have not. I feel that the people at Gardner White are deliberately trying to avoid this problem until the warranty runs out, which is at the end of April. No furniture should look like ours in such a short time. I've had furniture for 13 years that the stuffing never moved around like this. It's completely unacceptable. I sent a letter explaining the problems we've had to the corporate office, and I did hear back from Kim, the same day. She said it was not a defect, and that the furniture required us to "fluff up" the arms after use and that they would not re-stuff the arms. The furniture was only a couple months old when this all started. I will never shop there again, and I urge everyone else to find their furniture elsewhere as well.

• Gw
    GWFurniture Apr 10, 2012

Gardner White Furniture appreciates your input. Gardner White offers a 1-year warranty against manufacturer's defects. Many products today use a dacron in the arms and cushions. Dacron will flatten with use. Dacron will also fluff back up with assistance. We apologize you are unhappy with the Dacron material. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Ms. Preston
    District Manager

broken crappy furniture

I purchased furniture on 3/2i5/11. My bed broke on 3/13/12. I contacted the store, and service tech came out...

bad mattress/terrible service

Last July my wife and I purchase a new king size mattress during the king for queen sale at the Gardner White...

return policy

Bought a set Of Leather couches and got them delivered to Canada for an extra 90 bucks! Got it home and it was damaged. Gardner white said no problem and made a second delivery...again there was damage to that set too!!! Damages were rips and scuffs and a couple of Manufacturer defects with stiching. So they made another delivery and again it wasnt perfect! Couchs had rips, a cut, and and the rips showed that its not all leather!!! The sales guy Salim And David told me at the time of purchase that it was ALL Leather front and back... they said that these couches are their CADILLAC Model!!! LIARS LIARS LIARS... BEware!!!
And Now after the 3rd delivery they are telling me that thats it they cant do anything else! I paid over 3000 for these Cadillac Couches and Im stuck with them with rips, cuts scuffs and vinyl! I demanded full refund or even a discount if they prefer.
NEVER NEVER NEVER again I shop there... i don't mind paying the money but these guys have to be honest with me. And I should get a perfect product! Grey Slate Sofas

• Ti
    TimAW1234 Jul 01, 2018

Purchased a sofa and chair. Sofa came with no issues however the matching chair was back order. "Could take up to a month? No problem" we said. Came in 3 weeks. They got it on a Friday we set delivery for following Wednesday. The day before they cancelled and said it was unavailable. So wasted vacation day. It happens a second time! So their policy is this (from their manager)... If they get the item and delivery is not scheduled within 3 days they can sell it to someone else! Now to be very clear if anyone told me this I would have set delivery for Monday. Two wasted vacation days. I can't cancel or return because we already have half of the set and you have to pay 25% restock. Salesman was great company has 0 customer service. Buy from the store but if they don't have it in stock don't bother you may never get it. Our chair was in the store and sold to someone else twice!

customer service

I bought a set of side tables and center table from Gardner white. They gave me a cleaner to use. After 6 months, the wood started peeling off. When I complained, they said they are going to send a rep. to check. When the rep. came, even before he inspected the table, he started to blame that it is our fault. This is the stupidest reason I have ever heard. They mentioned the wood is peeling of because of over cleaning as if we do not have anything else to do. When I called up again, they mentioned that I should not have used the cleaner they gave when I bought the tables and asked me to complain to the cleaner company.

No matter, what deal they have in their store, I will never step into their store in my life. All they do is provide false promises and cheat customers giving them high hopes of quality products.

BarbTGW Nov 21, 2011

Mr Chandra- I am the Vice President of Gardner-White. I will have someone look up the service file and all you this morning so we can resolve the situation. Can you email me you telephone number, order number or the address on the order? My email address is [email protected]

BarbTGW Nov 21, 2011

This ia Barb T the VP at Gardner White. We can not find an order under the posters name. Please email me at [email protected]

BarbTGW Nov 24, 2011

You never contacted us so I couldn't help you
    BarbTGW

lousy quality and even worse customer service!

I purchased a $3000.00 Simmons Beautyrest mattress less than two years ago. It was the best one they had, according to the salesman. Now, like I said, less than two years later, one of the sides has completely collapsed! I'm talking like 3+ inches! the side is bowed out, and the matress is collapsing now. I called to have it replaced under warrantee (20 year manufacturers warrantee), and Gardner White refuses to do anything at all because there was a water mark on the mattress from my Son's bottle leaking water. Apparently once they have "proof" photos from their technician that there was ever a mark on the mattress (even though I wiped it off, and it's now completely gone), the warrantee is null and void! we have furnished our entire home from this place, and they can't help us get a replacement under warrantee...? I am done with them... canceled my credit account, and am telling anyone and everyone who will listen to ever go there. It's hard times out there, and most companies can't afford to lose loyal clients, but apparently Gardner White doesn't think they need to provide any customer service at all. Good luck to them... I certainly won't be coming back in a few months when I have a new home to furnish!

liars

I was promised NO interest on my purchase ( of what turned to junk within 2 months) When I got my bill there...

odd policy

We purchased a sofa and chair on a Sunday afternoon, both pieces were in stock. According to Gardner White's delivery schedule, they were only able to deliver to us on the following Friday. The salesperson made a point of explaining that if other people purchased the same pieces in the meantime, and they were ahead of us on the delivery schedule, that they would get the furniture, and we would be out of stock. It makes no sense to me, from a customer service standpoint, that you would stiff the customer who had already paid and had been waiting longer - it's not like we have any control over the delivery route. Apparently this happens to people who purchase items that are in the sales flyer that are in greater demand. Luckily our pieces weren't so popular, and arrived on schedule.
I am just putting this information out there so that other buyers can be aware of the risk. Although our experience wasn't bad; this policy could be a problem for others. Buyer Beware.

leather sectional sofa

I bought a leather sectional sofa in 2008 and the sales guy recommended to purchase a leasther protection plan for 5 years. I purchased the plan. In 2009 I sent a request to Gaurdian who are supposed to send technician to fix a very small tear came took pictures and sent a letter back saying it is not covered as it is near a seam. In 2010 the first tear increased in size and a second one developed nearby so I sent another request in December 2010. A tech sent by Gaurdian leather protection plan came took pictures and said the company would call nad notify with in couple days. They called me and sid that the said sofa I believe is a leather grain sofa and it is not covered in their plan.
I would like both Gardiner white and Gaurdian Leather protection company for deceiving me and not providing me service.

I need a immediate reply on this.

they will not honor the warranty

Purchased $5000.00 couch it broke within the first month and they will not fix it says it is NOT a manufactures warranty item. The problem is the mechanism for the recliner is bent, they say this happened because we sat on the couch, the arm rest fell into the couch they said that was cause we put our arms on the rest to hard or someone sat on it. The padding is falling off the recliner. they said the "dog or cat did that" They refuse to accept any responsiblity and say its my problem. They will not honor the warranty.

• Bj
    Bjam95 Jul 01, 2015

Don't buy from Gardner-White. Horrible products that are CHEAPLY made and they will not honor warranties or extended warranties. They blame YOU the customer for any defects and claim YOU caused any problem to their junkie furniture! Please shop elsewhere and pay a little extra for QUALITY furniture from ANY other furniture store. You won't regret it I promise!

terrible service

Last Dec. (2009) we purchased a living room set from Gardner White, and since then, they have been out to our house 3 times to try to fix the furniture. The recliners on the sofa and loveseat are broken and the company who makes the furniture went out of business so we can't get a new couch from them, so Gardner White told us to reselect a couch, and we were fine with that. So, we went into the store to reselect and asked the store manager what price range we got to reselect from, and he said $1999 or cheaper, anything over, you're responsible for paying, so that's what we did, we found a sectional for $1999 after being in the store for about 2 hrs. or more. We thought everything was set to go until they want us to pay $200 more for the wedge piece that comes with the sectional. We were upset because the wedge was included in the pink sticker price of $1999 with the sofa and loveseat and now you want to tack on $200 more. I don't understand how they can do that. We were told one thing and stayed within that price range and now you want to charge us more. We talked to the store manager of Gardner White and he said that's the best deal they could give us. I still don't understand how that happens when the price of the sofa, loveseat, wedge was $1999 and we got to pick a couch that was $1999 or below. So, I took it upon myself to call corporate office and their area manager was rude to me and when I said they could come pick up their furniture then, she said we don't give out refunds, you can only reselect. When I told her what was said to us, she still didn't want to help us out and continued to be rude. After hanging up the phone with her, I called corporate back and asked to speak to the CEO or President of the company and the secretary tells me that no such person exists and that the Area Manager is the highest person in the company. I highly doubt that because someone has to own the company, and they refused to let me speak to someone even further. Mind you, we've not even had this couch for a year, and it's still under warranty and they don't want to give us the couch, loveseat, and wedge for the price listed and want us to pay $200 more. We even asked them to show us couches that we could choose from and they did that. If that couch wasn't available to us in the $1999 price range, even though the price tag said it was, why did you show it to us? We've been long time customers of Gardner White for years and everything in our house is gardner white, and the first time something in our house falls apart, you want to be rude to us and charge us more for something that's still under warranty. I will never shop at Gardner White furniture again, and advise others not to shop their either. We've never had this problem with them being rude to us before and this was really shocking for us to be treated this way.

• Da
    Danielle03 Jan 12, 2011

We have the same issue going on right now. We received our couch and love seat in Dec 2010 and since it was damaged I called with 48hrs to report and now they won't replace or repair anything. I've spoken to so many people at this place it's insane. WE are the customers and WE have rights as well. We're at a loss here and my husband can't take the physical strain do to his heart condition, I just don't know what to do.

warrenty lies

I wanted to make it known that Gardner White does not come clean about warranty information. I had several goods delivered to a house before I moved them in a week to a new location. The warranty only covers the furniture under the house that it was originally delivered to. I told the salesperson these exact moving plans and he did not mention a thing to me, even though it was exceptionally important. Had I known, I would of done something completely different. The ineptitude my salesperson, along with Gardner White simply not caring, is unacceptable. They were just stone cold on the phone, stating that nothing can be done and that is that. Customer service is not important to Gardner White and they are not accommodating to anything reasonable, it seems they just don't want to spend money if the law is on their side.

BarbT May 12, 2010

Thank-you for shopping at Gardner-White. I am sorry to learn of your experience. We will do everything possible to correct the situation. Please email [email protected] with your contact information. She is ready to assist you.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Barb Tronstein
    Vice President

• Ti
    tifkrajewski18 Jul 13, 2010

My husband and I moved into our first house in September 2010. We didn’t have any furniture at the time and based on Gardner Whites great reputation, we decided to go there to furnish our entire house. The first room we completed was the living room. The end of October we went to the Southfield location and got our living room set. We purchased the Reno Putty collection that offered a special: the couch, loveseat, three tables, two lamps and flat screen TV. We spent a total of $3154.56, which included protection and a year’s worth of warranty. Within the first month of owning our furniture I had to call Gardner Whites service department because two of our main cushions had holes. Two months later, I called again about the decorative pillows having holes and our wood tables chipping. The glass on my coffee table has scratches, the main cushions are deflating and we have tons of chips in the wood. The warranty company has been to my house five times since October, that’s ridiculous! I have sent Barb Tronstein, VP of Gardner White and Kim, Office Manager three emails and a personal letter a week ago regarding our issues. Nobody has bothered to get back with me. I'm planning on going to the HQ store the end of this week until this issues is resolved. I cannot believe how terrible the customer service is and how little they care about their clients. Don't tell people you will do everything to help your clients with a situation when you can't even respond to a complaint email or letter.

Tiffany & Chris

• Lm
    lmburgan Sep 15, 2010

I totally agree with you that their customer service is terrible.
    I've tried remaing calm with these people and they finally got me so bent out shape because they won't help me either and when i called corporate office, they told me that there's nobody higher up in the company than the area manager, which i talked to and she doesn't seem to want to resolve the issue the way it should be resolved.

• Gw
    GWFurniture Sep 15, 2010

I'm sorry to hear that you have had some concerns. We would be happy to review any concerns you may have. Please e-mail Kim at [email protected] We would need to obtain more information to review your concerns.

Kim
    Gardner White Furniture

• Garner white has never had a good solid reputation, in all honesty none of the furniture stores do. I recently bought a reclining sofa and chair. $1300. For this crap. 2 mo to get the parts. Then you have to wait to have it installed. Cushions are totally smooched in less than five months, normal wear n tear they say, Truthfully I've had better luck having used furniture bought off Craigslist ...sad huh? At least when it goes bad you've got your money out of it. I won't shop again at Gardner white. I hope you all agree to boycott.

deplorable

February 1, 2010 – We went to Gardner White Furniture Store in Canton, MI to shop for a mattress set. We were greeted by Jim Baumstark, sales associate. We advised him that we were looking for something very specific - an ultra plush/soft mattress set. Our current mattress set was about 10 years old, sagged in the middle, and lumpy. After meticulously browsing their showroom selection and "testing" various mattresses, we selected the Simmons Rozelle. We selected this model specifically because it was an ultra plush/soft mattress.

February 13, 2010 – The mattress set was delivered in the evening. We immediately noticed that our mattress was much firmer than the mattress set displayed in the Gardner White showroom.

February 14, 2010 – We went back to the store and went to the customer service desk to advise them that the mattress that we received was too firm. The customer service sales associate told us that new mattress sets typically take a few weeks to “settle” into their desired firmness/softness levels and temperature, and to "walk" the mattress out. This seemed reasonable to us, so we decided to try their suggestion.

We spent the next five weeks attempting to “walk” the mattress out, and give it time to “settle” into the softness that it was ultimately supposed to be. During those six weeks, and despite our best efforts - the mattress has not gotten any softer at all. It is still extremely firm. And surprisingly, we noticed there is now a sag or depression in the middle of the mattress (which ironically does not affect the softness level at all). We would expect some sagging after several years of use, but certainly not after only six weeks. This is clearly defect and a quality issue.

February 22, 2010 – We called Gardner White once again and complained about the quality of the mattress set, despite having tried their suggestions. They arranged for a technician to come out to our home and inspect the mattress.

February 25, 2010 – The technician performed the mattress inspection and would not address the “softness/firmness” issue. He did mention that thedepression in the middle of the mattress was only 1 inch, and therefore within manufacturer’s parameters.

February 25, 2010 – Having strongly disagreed with technician’s findings, we called and spoke with store manager, Dwane, regarding our mattress issues. He advised that the technician had not yet officially filed his report, and that there wasn’t anything they could do until the technician did so. He expected the technician to file his report on the following Saturday.

February 27, 2010 – We received a voicemail from the Gardner White technician that the report had been filed, and that there wasn’t anything they could do to help us. We called Gardner White and spoke again with the store manager, Dwane, who reiterated the technician’s findings. We were given these options:

1) Wait until the official 60 days after purchase date (2/12/10), and exchange the mattress set for another. We would be subject to a $59.99 exchange fee, plus 10% restocking fee. *We refuse to pay these outrageous fees to replace a mattress that is defective.*

2) Have another “third party” company come out to inspect our depression issue. If the “third party” comes out and determines there is more than 1 ½ inches in depression, then at that time the mattress would be deemed defective, and they would replace it for us. However, they will NOT address our “softness/firmness” issue – as this is “subjective” – and therefore they are not able to help.

*Although both of these issues are important and warranted, the most important issue to us is the “softness/firmness” issue. If the “third party” cannot repair the “softness/firmness” issue, then we do not see the point in bothering with this option.*

A few other relevant FACTS:

• We purchased the Guardsman Mattress Protection Plan with our set

• The Gardner-White website mission statements says:

Buy with confidence.

At Gardner-White we guarantee that our prices are the lowest in town. If you find the same furniture with the same terms for less we will refund the difference. We also guarantee our products against manufacturer’s defects for at least one year.

These are just a few examples of our commitment to our customers. Because at Gardner-White, providing you with great furniture and great service is what we do.

In summary, we purchased a mattress set from Gardner White Furniture Store in Canton, MI. When it was delivered, we found the set to be defective. Upon seeking help from the store to rectify the situation, we realized we may have fallen victim to the store scam of “bait and switch”. Either the store intentionally misrepresented their merchandise on the showroom floor; or we received a defective set – for which the store will not take responsibility for. In either case, unscrupulous business practices are being used here, and we intend to stand up for ourselves in order to make this situation “right”. Ultimately, we are not looking for our money back, we are not looking for a different model mattress. The outcome we would like to see is to have Gardner White replace our defectivemattress set with the same make & model without the defects.

ruined floors

Bought furniture at Gardner White in Warren, MI. They delivered it and the loveseat was ruined. A spot/hole in the arm of the couch. Called & told them. They had another one sent out over the next couple days. The delivery guys delivered it & took away the old one and then I caught the one delivery guy sliding my couch across my newly finished hardwood floors!!! Staples on the bottom of the couches scarred up my floor!! He tried to deny it but I saw him do it with my own 2 eyes and so he noted it on the work slip. I had to call the sales guy to complain & see how they planned to fix it.

In the meantime, I go to attach the legs to my couch (no the delivery guys who were supposed to do this, did NOT) and come to find out there are 3, 3 inch screws that go into each of the 4 legs of the couch. There were not enough screws for either couches! The sofa was at least six short. I had to call again.

Then someone named Jeff who claimed he from "corporate" called about coming out to "assess" the damage on my floors. He came out yesterday and proceeded to "fix" the scratches. Actually he made it worse!!! My floor looks like crap in all the spots he touched! I'm so livid that I just don't know what to do! He said I had to sign the paper saying I was "satisfied" with the repairs to show he had spent an hour out there, so I did. Now I am left with more problems than ever. I don't think they have plans to fix it properly or compensate me either. They all give me the run around about who I actually have to call for this or that.

I will NEVER EVER again in life pruchase furniture from Gardner White!!!

BarbT Apr 15, 2010

I am a Vice President at Gardner-White. I want to apologize to you these types of problems should not happen. Please email me with your name and contact information and I will make sure our customer service manager Kim calls you today and makes arrangements to properly fix your floor. My email address is [email protected]

don't buy from gardner white!

don't buy a tv package - scam

I purchased a Big Picture TV package from the Gardner White store in Canton, MI on Feb 22nd, 2010. I...

no furniture - norefund

I placed six chairs in their layaway at the end of November. I added a chest piece the next month to the...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices