Fry's Electronics / no warranty repair

Purchased a HP 20" screen laptop on Dec 17, 2007 at the Fry’s store in Fountain Valley, California, with an extended Fry's warranty... I submitted the laptop for repairs under my extended service warranty on March 5, 2008 to the Fry’s service repair in Fountain Valley, California.

It is now June 12, 2008 over 90 days has passed. I have not been able to get back my laptop repaired or not been able to be given a credit to purchase another laptop. I have been going to the service department asking for the status...each time they have an excuse why it has not been repaired. Last excuse was since early June, the Buyer at corporate since May 9, 2008 has not followed up on the replacement laptop, nor issued me a credit to purchase another laptop. I asked the service coordinator to return my money in form of a credit. She said the store manager who could make that decision is on vacation and the assistant manager has irregular hours (she was not there today). Also repair coordinator could not get the senior service manager Mr. Browning to return her phone calls.

I have filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and a complaint to "Randy" the President of Fry's Electronics in San Jose, California.

Va

Comments

• Du
      25th of Jul, 2008

I have the same problem with FRY. They have had my GPS Unit since 21MAY and keep telling me that they can not do anything to make the repair go faster and I just have to wait . I have the FRY PG that I paid for but they claim it is no good for this issue???. I would like to file my complaint with the General ATTY office in IL for consumer Faud!
    They sell you the goods but they do not fix them and lead you to beleive that they do. These guys should go out of biz. I hope others out there will see this and join up to get FRY to do the right thing. FIX or replace the product within a time frame that is real!!!

• Ki
      4th of Aug, 2008

My dad purchased a laptop for me 3 years ago and bought a 5 year warranty for 500 dollars. My laptop had a problem, so I took it to the fry's electonic store in San Jose, Califonia on April 27, 2008.

As a student, I still have not yet received my laptop. Everytime I call the service to check on the stutus of my computer, they always give me the same excuse "it is still shipping to the store." I believe that I have called more than ten times for the status of my laptop, and as usual, they gave me the same "reason" why my laptop is not finished.

It is now August 4, 2008 and i have once again called for a stutus on my laptop. Their excuse was the same. So I asked for the manager and for a slit second, they said that the manager is busy and is not available. So I called customer relationship, the headquaters of the office, to file a complaint. However, the man said that I had to talk to the store manager and file a complaint with that person. As mentioned earlier, the manager that I wanted to talk to was "busy."

So who do I talk to and what do I do about this problem? Since the customer relationship, and the manager refuses to talk to me, I would have to go to the news reporters and the the L.A. Times, the O.C. register, or the city hall to file a consumer affair complaint or anywhere, so that other customers, like ourselves, do not have the same problem.

This wait has been to long and I have to go to school soon without a laptop. I believe if I just wait and sit around doing nothing about this problem, then I still wouln't have my laptop. It's time to take control over the "customer service" and show them what REAL customer service is.

• Re
      2nd of Nov, 2009

OK, so I've been to Fry's. I don't know many people who haven't at this point. At first, I thought a cheap place to get electronics would be great. I even went so far as to buy a computer there. And as I'm not much of a tech person, I bought the 5 year warranty. That was less then two years ago now, and I've had to have it in no less then six times for service and repair. Up until this last time, they "allowed" the warranty to cover the issue. Now however, they claim I have to pay them a seventy dollar "fee" for looking at the machine.
    When they called me to let me know it was ready, the person that I spoke to, "mike" told me that it would be $59.99 to reset it to factory conditions, I explained I could in fact manage that myself. He then tells me, well in that case we'll have to charge you $69.99 for looking at it. Not happy with this turn of events, I hung up, and called "mike's" manager. He told me he would look into this matter, and call me back. 72 hours later, I call him back. He's called "Tuck". He tells me he's "super" busy, and that he'll call me back in thirty minutes. Which he then doesn't do. So, after an hour and fifteen minutes, of waiting, I call him back. He tells me, " We don't have a choice in charging you the $69.99, it's policy." Really? Policy to screw over your customers who actually paid the exorbitant fee for warranty? Let me guess...the interest rate on your fry's card starts at 45%?? That's the mentality this manager seemed to have. Anything to screw over a customer.
    Horrible service I can deal with...but blatant fraud? Really?
    How does this company keep a business license in any state with this level of fraud and deceit?

• Su
      23rd of Mar, 2010

I had the sames experience with my laptop...after about 5 trips to frys and about a total of 8 months in sent out repairs...I decided to never shop there again (this was after cursing out about 3 different managers). The return department is also a joke

• Ti
      28th of Jul, 2011

i have the sames experience with my laptop Ive took my laptop so many times to the frys to fix like 5 times told of 6 months just to tell me that they gave me a ues laptop.the manager gave me my money back .i bought a new laptop at bestbuy and with this laptop i do not have any problem at all .

• Pe
      1st of Mar, 2014

I TOOK MY DESKTOP TO FRYS ELETRONICS FOR A BAD FAN IT TOOK THEM OVER A MONTH TO GET IT BACK TO ME AND WHEN I DID GET IT BACK THE QFAN ISNT WORKING I TOOK IT BACK AND THE REPAIR GUY SAID THE FANS ARE WORKING AND I TOLD HIM THE FANS WORN LIKE THEY WERE WHAN I GOT IT (under 3 year warrenty)I THINK THE COMP REPAIR GUYS DONT REALLY KNOW WHAT THERE DOING...ASUS THE MAKER OF MY COMPUTER SAID FRYS ELETRONICS IS NOT ASUS CERTIFIED...SO HOW CAN THEY SELL ME A WARRENTY ON A CP THERE NOT CERTIFIED TO WORK ON...IM GONA SUE SUE SUE SCREW THEM...