FingerHut / identity theft/fraud

Jul 27, 2015
Phoenix AZ
A stranger has used my name to get a credit account at Fingerhut. They have purchased items, not paid for them and now I am getting emails about the past due payments owed. I have never heard of this company. I contacted them through their website and online chatting option for immediate answers. They said they couldn't help me and I'd have to call the customer service number. So I did and they require you to enter your social security number in before getting through to a customer service rep. After spending 30 minutes trying different options to get through to customer service, the answering service came on and said "the customer service department is now closed". Really...at 2pm on Monday? I don't think so. I believe this company is in on the identity theft problem. There is something very shady about it and the lack of options they offer to remedy the situation.

If anyone has any helpful tips on how to rectify this problem, then please let me know. I've never had to deal with this type of issue.

N  27th of Jul, 2015 by
First contact the three credit reporting agencies to place a fraud report and security freeze on your credit. That will keep the culprit doing further damage. Then continue to get a hold of Fingerhut and dispute the charges. I realize they may be hard to contact, but it is for your own good.
N  29th of Apr, 2016 by
If you can't get thru via phone, write a letter to them.

Fingerhut Logo Fingerhut