Fifth Third Bank / scam and theft

1 Lakeland, FL, United States Review updated:

Fifth third bank is a completely unethical organization in the banking industry. They only post $100 of a person's deposit for 3 days no matter how long they have been banking with them or if they have a 100, 000 dollars on deposit with them. They post date deposits and also charge fees for 'pre-authorizations' that have not even posted to a customer's account. They are disgusting in terms of their predatory fee practices. I imagine most of their profit is derived from this. The 'pre-authorization' debit overdraft charge practice was actually almost outlawed in 2005 and Fifth Third is one of very few banks that pull this crap on their customers. Do not ever use this bank for anything... You will regret it deeply. They are a bunch of ### who specialize on charging as many fees as they can even when a customer has plenty of money in their account. Oh and if you happen to have some unauthorized charges on your account watch out. They will take 15 or more business days to investigate and in the mean time rake up as many fees as they think they can stick you with. ###.

Va

Comments

• Va
      18th of Jul, 2008

I was a member since 2002 of First Charter bank, a regional Charlotte bank that was very friendly, small, and accommodating. I couldn't have been more pleased with them and everything ran smooth. Soon Fifth Third Bank purchased them and turned over their leaf. Since this change, I have had 5 overdraft fees (I never overdraft!!) and for the first time in 3 years, my rent check bounced. All because 'They stop processing at midnight and my paycheck was deposited after midnight.' So then they hit me with 3 more charges. The lady on the phone told me 'that they are NOT first charter' and was as emotional as a pap smear. I went to my local branch and they refunded the 3 charges BECAUSE THEY COULDN'T TELL ME WHERE THEY CAME FROM! I can NOT comprehend their website because they keep transactions pending for DAYS AND DAYS. To the point you have forgotten you paid that bill, so you go get ice cream, and then they can overdraft you out of house and home. The record so far is 7 days. Things that used to go through 3 hours later in the same day go through 7 days later. I don't think this is helpful to my finance strategy!

Everyone in my home town is upset because we all were fans of First Charter's friendly approach and now everyone is clearing out from this new bank. I am researching banks in my area and will begin the painful move of funds in the next few weeks. I will NO LONGER be doing any business whatsoever with this awful incompetent money grubbing bank! Please, if you like having money- DON'T BANK WITH THIS COMPANY!!!

• Jb
      30th of Jul, 2008

I agree whole heartedly. I loved first charter. 53 bank is the worst I have ever used. The ridiculous charges are just the tip of the iceberg. This is the worst merger since Wachovia/First Union.

I have never had such unhelpful operators or online sites in my life. Although all of my fees were refunded, they were reapplied at midnight, because the refunds hadn't posted yet.

This is the worst bank I have ever had the displeasure of letting take my money.

I am leaving immediately. Good Riddance 5th 3rd. Go back to St.Louis.

13th of Aug, 2008

I was ripped off by fith third I have filed a small claim law suit if everybody did thiss it would cost the bank more than they are making with here fees and the would stop

• St
      19th of Sep, 2008

This is exactly what they did to us! We were with First Charter for over 6 years and then 53 bought them out. They actually post the larger amount items first no matter what the order they come in. And yes they charge overdraft fees on pending charges!! This bank is all about the money! The branch managers are cowards too, would not return our calls or see us in the branch locations! I hope God blesses the VP's, and Presidents of 5/3 banks!!!

• Al
      21st of Apr, 2009

Just last week 5/3 (Fifth Third Bank) charged me $444 in overdraft fees in one day. There was about $4000 in my account, its a busy business account. Traveling, I used the debit card on several occasions earlier in the week to pay for trip expenses. In one night a $3000 check and a $1000 check went through, leaving an overdraft amount around $1000. In the morning when the bank opened, I called them and said I would be in directly after a morning appointment to make a deposit to cover the overdraft amount. I made a deposit of $1380 at 1030 that morning. There were 11 transactions that went through on the same date as the checks. Several of these were actually charged/purchased by me in the preceding days. The overdraft fee is $37.

So for what is actually an overdraft on one check, the bank justifies charging their customer 12 overdraft fees. It didn't end there. The next day the charged me another $185 in fees and another $30 in fees. The next day another $6 fee. The next day another $18. The next day another $37 even though a $4875 wire transfer was received prior to the fee. Who knows why.

So if one doesn't agree or pay the fees, they are written off on the Checkcare System (or similar) and can not open a new account. I had several accounts with Firth Third to deal with the several boats that I manage. They have snowballed overdrafts on me before by

1) Debit Card Purchases - Even though the amount is deducted from the available balance, when the charge is made, they put the charge through 1 - 4 days later, pretty much it seems waiting for a larger check to go through, and then charge an overdraft fee on it.

2) Reordering Transaction Order - 'We put the largest transactions through first' is their story and this benefits us. ### is thick here. The only reason they reorder transactions is to screw their customer and take our funds. There is no better definition of bottom sucking ### than the execs who think that in the long run this isn't going to bite them in the ###.

3) So many overdraft fees and delayed and reordered transactions almost certainly guarantee them a much greater possibility of substantially more overdraft fees, daily over the limit fees, and whatever other fees they make up.

• Gu
      24th of Apr, 2009

dont write checks or use your debit card if you dont have funds. add deposits subtract debits, seems pretty easy to me, and doesnt really sound like the banks fault at all. im sure you received disclosures when you opened the account so you should have known what would happen if you were overdrawn. Last time i checked a bank is a business, they want to make money, and they didnt make you write checks that you didnt have funds to cover. its sucks for you but im just saying.

• Su
      25th of Apr, 2009

I have lawyers interested in filing a class action lawsuit against Fifth Third Bank for Predatory Overdraft Fees and Unethical business practices. Please send your story along with and proof you may have to Sue53Now@GMX.com

• Cl
      31st of Aug, 2009

Your not the only one!

I am looking to start a class action law suit but need your story http://closeyourbankaccount.blogspot.com/

6th of Jan, 2011

I moved over a year ago and Fifth Third lost my address. Finally they sent me a notice several months ago saying they had closed my account down and taken my remaining balance through fees. Apparently it works well to wait to notify a client until after you have cleaned him out.

• Ju
      28th of Sep, 2017

Wow. I am NOT a 5/3 bank customer, and I came on here just to find out if it's an ok bank. Based on this feedback and my own limited experience with the bank, I'm running away from them as fast as I can. I just today received a mailer from them promising $200 with a new account. I called the number and it was really a trick to lob more than a dozen solicitations at me for everything from magazines to medical alert devices to insurance, and I believe it would have kept going if I hadn't given up and disconnected the call. I went on their website to see if I could learn more about the promotion, and there was nothing there. I called customer service, and no one would talk to me without me first giving them my social security number, even though I am not a current customer.

How is this bank still in business?