Fifth Third Bank / late fee ripoff

1 Ft Lauderdale, FL, United States Review updated:

Fifth third bank is a ripoff. I refinanced with them in the middlof 2008. I sent my payment in by mail on the first of this month, feb 2009, and last week I received a phone call and letter stating that the payment was not received. I told them that I mailed the payment and they blamed on the mail service. Over the years, my payment has never got lost in the mail with any other bank. This is the second time that they could not find my payment by mail. As instructed by them I made a second payment at a local fifth third bank, this time with a late fee. That payment was posted on the next day. Yesterday they deposited the original check that was sent in the mail because I notice that my bank, where my checking account resides, has returned the check due to insufficient funds. Due to their negligence or witholding my mail on purpose, I had to pay late to them and now I have to pay a fee to my bank for insufficent funds because they tried to get two payments for the same month out of me. Next month I am making the payment in person as I do not trust fifth third bank. I am getting out of this as soon as I get the opportunity. Do not do business with this bank.

Comments

Mu
  15th of Jun, 2011

The customer service wasn't my problem with them in fact they were so friendly and sweet that my sugar count went up upon leaving the bank.
Mine was the involvement with the overdraft fees. I'm trying to run a business so when I make a substantial deposit, say on a Thursday evening or Friday morning, they hold everything until Tuesday morning. I thought I was doing OK by waiting 24 hours to use the money but that didn't help either. By the following Wednesday hundreds of dollars were mounting up in overdraft fees. Needless to say I have left that bank.
Unfortunately I made one more deposit to make it a zero with a note to close out the account which is what was required. Well, they had to hold that depost until the check cleared ($7) and here it is weeks later and I found out that they want $200 in overdraft fees! That's my story.