Fifth Third Bank / unauthorized credit request!

1 FL, United States Review updated:

I was out of town for a week - I get back and there's a handful of mail. It includes a rejection notice for a Fifth Third Platinum card I DID NOT REQUEST - complete with contact information for Equifax so I can find out why I didn't get the card I didn't request.

And in that same handful of mail is a FIFTH THIRD OPTIMUM MASTER CARD ready for activation - I DIDN'T REQUEST THAT EITHER!!

I'm desperate to rebuild my credit after a long illness, I do not need this PHONY CREDIT APP and UNINVITED NEW CREDIT LINE on my credit history!!!

How can a bank run a credit check and reject you for credit you DID NOT REQUEST?

This has to be illegal. I know it hurts your credit. I'm going to check into it.

All I can think is I was at the bank about a month ago and an employee suggested I get overdraft protection. I told her to send me information on it, NOT AUTOMATICALLY APPLY FOR IT ON MY BEHALF! I GAVE NO AUTHORITY!!!

And the card I received was NOT overdraft protection - although I could APPLY FOR IT IF I WANTED TO.

I'm thinking it's time to change banks. And if they don't make communication to Equifax and the other credit reporting agencies that they did this, not me - I'm going to call an attorney.

This is insane.

Mi

Comments

• Cl
      31st of Aug, 2009

I am looking to start a class action law suit but need your story http://closeyourbankaccount.blogspot.com/

• Ri
      17th of Sep, 2009

It happened to me. I was told by the fifth third bank personnel that they would provide a overdraft protection and I nodded in agreement. A few days later I get the rejection mail and a couple of phone calls from fifth third bank personnel again offering the same service. Days go by and nearly 2-3 weeks later I get this Fifth Third Optimum Gold card and without paying a lot of attention to it I follow the instructions on the card to activate it. Later when I called I was told that the card is not from Fifth Third bank but a third party on behalf of Fifth Third and that they are charging a yearly fee to maintain the card.

This is ridiculous. Why and how and with whose permission did Fifth Third divulge personal information to third party. I have really not paid a lot of attention to the issue, but i sure am pissed at what happened. Taking a legal recourse is a time consuming option which is scarce.

• Li
      28th of Nov, 2009

I have the same card and got it in the mail after purchasing a condo through 5/3rd. I never use the card only kept it to rebuild my credit. I just received a balance of 94 dollars on my card for yearly fees.
    I am really pissed and would like to help with the class action lawsuit.

After purchasing my condo, I received a letter asking if I wanted to split my mortgage payments and pay half every two weeks instead of one monthly because it would save me money. Sounds great only 5/3rd signed me up with a bill payment agency. In order to drop them and accept the bi-weekly offer I have to pay $275 to stop the bill pay agency. 5/3rd should have disclosed this information at closing, if they were really concerned about its custumers and saving me money in the long run.

Thanks for sharing.