Expedia / name change on airline ticket

1 Canada

I booked a plane ticket from Toronto to Punta Cana for Feb 14-18, 2019 for my son's girlfriend through Expedia. Let me add, I have used Expedia for almost every vacation that my family and I have booked for the last nine years and have been impressed with the ease and guarantee of no conflicts for any of the trips.

The flight was on Air Transat. (Expedia Itinerary number [protected]). The two broke up and a friend of his was willing to fill the seat as it was already paid for.
I contacted Expedia on Monday February 4th, 2019 and asked to do this and that I was willing to pay a administration fee for the inconvenience. I was advised by Expedia that it was against their policy to change names. I was advised that it could only be done through the airline.

When I called the airline, they advised that since I was a third party, as I had booked through Expedia (my travel agent), that only they were allowed to ask for the name change. They provided me instructions that Expedia simply had to call the GDS Department and insist on an exemption and the name change could occur. I called back and spoke to a front-line worker and explained what I had learned. He passed me on to his supervisor who placed me on hold and made the call. When he returned, he advised that Air Transat said they would not do it. I asked if he had asked to speak to the GDS Department, and he advised he had not. I asked him to please call back and speak to the department that I was directed to. After placing me on hold, he came back minutes later and advised that Air Transat customer service was now closed. He advised that he would follow up and would contact me within 72 hrs (Thursday Feb 7, 2018 at 8:30pm).

After 84 hrs of waiting for a return call, I called Expedia again and explained my situation and asked that they call the GDS Department. When the customer service clerk came back onto the phone, she advised that she was unable to fulfill my request.

Although I had advised Expedia that I was willing to swear out an affidavit to a Justice of the Peace that this change of names was not untoward, I was unable to change a name of a seat, 10 days before the flight. A seat, that I had purchased and was not going to be filled. Although Expedia continued to quote it was their policy, there has to be some exemptions for this, especially when the airline advised me that it could be done. This was poor customer service.

In Ontario, we have the buyer's remorse law, should this not be applied for airline tickets as well? I am seeking reimbursement or a credit from Expedia for a request for a service that was unfulfilled.

Respectfully