[Resolved] Enterprise Rental Car / fraudulent damage claim, impacting my company 13 years later

As you can read online, Enterprise has a history of fraudulent damage claims. Over the years it actually seemed to be a revenue source for the company. From the outside looking in it looks like an internal business process problem that is conveniently overlooked.
It
In 2004 I rented a vehicle from Enterprise Off McKinney Avenue in Dallas Texas. It was a Landrover Freelander, after leaving the lot I got on the freeway and there was a highway wobble so I returned immediately to the location to exchange the vehicle. This location was busy at the time and the customer service rep was highly agitated at my return. I asked why this frustration was directed at me, I'm not the problem it's your car. He then told another Rep, a new girl, to get me a new vehicle. A maroon Ford Explorer showed up, I asked if I needed to refill out the rental agreement and she indicated that she would just make adjustments to the existing agreement. The Explorer was fine and I enjoyed driving it for a couple of weeks.

I returned the vehicle without incident and even walked around the car with the Rep when I returned.

Several days or even weeks later I received a letter from Enterprise stating there was damage to this vehicle and over $1, 300 in damages. The letter even had a grainy picture of a scratch on the INSIDE of the rear left wheel well. I called to discuss and the Rep on the phone told me there was damage inside of the wheel from a blown tire. I asked him if there was a spare tire and he said yes. I asked how would there be damage from a blown tire, if the tire was still intact. He said I replaced the tire. Ok so I asked if there was a new tire on the vehicle, he said he couldn't tell. I asked if the tread wear was different than the other tires, is the tire the same model etc. " It doesn't matter " was his only reply. I told him there is no way this damage was from my rental. I also asked to speak with a regional manager. Of course one was not available.

Obviously, due to the unprofessional, accusatory and aggressive behavior I have avoided Enterprise for my rentals since.

Jump forward a decade or so and I now have a contract through my consulting business in where my customer is responsible for covering travel expenses. They use Enterprise, they have an agreement and book all of our teams corporate travel. This week I was denied the ability to accept a rental from Enterprise due to being on a "do not rent list". I indicated that I was not the responsible party, that the prior claim was bogus anyway and that I was going to miss my meeting with further delays.

I ended up renting a car from Budget next door (at 1/2 the price of Enterprise) personally and was only 20 mins late to my meeting. I now have to spend my time, my companies time and my customers time discussing and looking for a resolution to this issue.

There has ZERO cooperation from Enterprise on these issues. After several attempts the only response is... pay us for damage I did not do.

For this cost, I will give you some free advice. My corporate Attorney is joining a class action lawsuit against Enterprise. Get involved. My customer has entered into a new contract with Hertz for rentals. I have a investigative journalist in Dallas looking into if Enterprise actually makes a profit from this extortion.

The money here is not the point, it's about reasonable responsible business practice. Enterprise assumes its customers are lying, and its teenage employees are honest. I was a teenager once.

-Good luck

• Resolution statement

• Enterprise Holdings Customer Care's Response, Apr 04, 2017

Mdgtx,
    We’ve noted your comments and we would like to have the opportunity to look into this concern for you. Please send us a detailed email to [protected]@mailca.custhelp.com include the exact rental location, your contact telephone number, your claims, rental agreement or reservation numbers and any further information regarding your experience with us.
    We look forward to hearing from you.
    Regards,