Empire Today / damage to home and then unresponsive to complaints

I had flooring from Empire installed in my house in October 2005. Biggest mistake of my life.

The first day they were there, not only did Empire not finish the job, but they tried to get my contractor and his employees who were there installing a new ceiling, to help them carry their materials upstairs and asked them to finish the job, rehang closet doors and put down the trim. Empire also did not dispose of the old carpeting as we had agreed.

I had my contractor dispose of the carpeting and when I called Empire to complain, I received a credit for that and they said they would send someone out the following day to finish the job that I was paying them to do. Big mistake once again. One of the 2 Empire installers used my bathroom w/o asking and backed up the toilet. I was sitting downstairs doing some work on the computer and water started pouring through the ceiling lights and the brand new ceiling that had just been installed a few days before. I ran upstairs and opened the bathroom door to find the woman trying to sop up the water with towels. She didn't call for help. She didn't turn off the water. Nothing. When I asked what happened, she said the tank started overflowing. This is virtually impossible and the plumber I called that day confirmed for me that there was nothing wrong with my toilet. Also, the other Empire installer she was working with claimed to be a plumber and gave me his number to call to come back and fix it. I was in shock to say the least.

Anyway, I spent about a year trying to get in touch with someone at Empire who could help m. Every time I spoke with customer Service I was transferred to someone's voicemail and never got a call back. When I finally did get in touch with someone who was helpful in the NJ installation office, she put me in touch with someone who could help, Sam, also located in the south Jersey installation office. After speaking with him several times, he told me he was going to contact the installers insurance company to resolve this matter. To the best of my knowledge this was never done. I have tried since to reach Sam and he has not returned my calls.

DO NOT USE EMPIRE UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! I also found out later that Empire caused substantial damage to my neighbor's new drywall when carpeting was installed on her stairs.

Comments

• De
      7th of Nov, 2007

I am tempted to agree. On a big job, the first crew was excellent. The second down right rude and abusive. When trying to handle the situation the next day, they were willing to put off fixing the problem. The cutomer service reps appeared to be there to annoy you into giving up.I finally reached the GM after approx 8 csa's. The only reason, I reached him was because I demanded it and fought hard.

No one should fight that hard to have a customer complaint handled. It seemed to me, that once the flooring was in, we did not matter. If you can, fight for your rights. Get the BBB involved. I feel for you.

• Re
      15th of Nov, 2007

Thank you for brining your concerns to the attention of Empire Today. Empire Today is dedicated to providing world-class customer service to every customer. We are currently looking into the concerns mentioned in your post. Please feel free to contact us at CustomerSupport@empiretoday.com for further assistance.

• Sh
      8th of Apr, 2009

i live in NJ, i had and free in house estimate for carpet for my living room with 12 x 16 ft and they estimated about $1700 which includes $200 discount he told. he was not giving me the price of the carpet. he was telling me the total price including installation removing the existing carpet and disposing. the 60% discount mentioned on their website was only on 1 carpet which is worst. just before the guy came in i went to home depot and i had an estimation for the same for $550 and the carpet was far far better than the one empire today showed. i strongly suggest you guys not to prefer this F^(#!ing company. all the best...