Dollar Rent A Car / cheating consumer

www.dollar.com, United States

I have used the Dollar.com website to rent cars on quite a few occasions. On Feb 3 2015, I searched for a car to support a trip in early March. I was provided an option to pay now to get a great deal: $88.74. I did not receive any indication that I was interacting with another site/vendor/broker. I got an e-mail confirmation from Dollar but did not open it until yesterday (Feb 14) when I was preparing for my trip. I noticed, unlike prior Dollar reservations, the e-mail required me to click into it to get the details. Once I did, I learned that while the car booked was Dollar, the booker was "cartrawler.com" a company in Dublin Ireland. Most important, I saw there was reference to the $88.74 payment, however, the voucher also stated I still owed $71.54 at the counter! I tried to call Dollar (after 12 minutes hold time, I hung up). I wrote Dollar an e-mail advising on what happened (assumed cartrawler had infected their site) and asking that they honor the $88.74. I did not hear back. Today, 15 Feb 2015, I tried calling Dollar again and learned they know about cartrawler (the customer rep did not come out and say this until I pressed for it), have an arrangement with them, and they would not guarantee the $88.74 (3 days plus 2 hours) that was originally cited as the total. The "best" they could do was provide a mid-size SUV at $40 per/day plus taxes (original car was a compact). I asked to speak to a supervisor and after a few minutes was told I was being transferred but ended back where I started- on hold via the general Dollar customer service line. After 5 minutes I hung up. Need to find a rental car for my trip elsewhere.

I will no longer use Dollar or any other company that does business with cartrawler. I am just glad I caught this in enough time to stop payment via my credit card.

St