Dish Network / as a former employee let me tell you

As a former employee of this godforsaken company, let me tell you for certain that they don't give a damn about either their customers or their employees. Permit me to elaborate:

1) Employees were told during the interviews that the company would work with their schedule. Soon as we're hired on, we're told "You work around Dish Network, not the other way around." Several employees turned in their gear because of that...we didn't want to spend the rest of our lives working for some miserable piece of ### company who thought that they were the center of the universe!

2) Agents are basically told that we have no power. That if we give more than a $5 adjustment, we're going to get lit up like a Christmas tree. We basically have to do a giant circle jerk just to get the right adjustments in!

3) We're not even allowed to set up for a technician to come out! That ability was removed from us...we now have to go through other channels- so much for cutting out the middleman.

4) They expect us to rearrange our lives for the company. For instance, anytime there's a fight/UFC event, they expect us to give up our Saturday nights. I know I for one jumped up my supervisor's ### about it, then I had to hear about it in stereo. Guess what? My days off are worth their weight in gold. I'm not going to give it up for these crack piping, asswiping, motherless lowlifes.

5) Who in their right mind expects their employees to work a regular schedule on Christmas ###ing Day?!! I've been in the workforce since 2003, and never once until this past Christmas Day did I have to work that particular day. Not only was my Christmas ruined, but I didn't get to spend some much deserved time with my family. If we called in, we would be automatically fired...even if our records and our numbers were flawless. We lost 15 people in my shift alone...and they have the nerve to say they're a family company?!

6) They also force their employees into nasty shifts without any sort of option...let me be clear. I worked the day shift for them, and then without any warning, I got thrown to nights. Not evenings...graveyard, as in 1:00am to 12:00pm. No chance to acclimate myself, no chance to try for another shift, just thrown onto graveyards. I get 5 times the workload and only 1 dollar upped in pay. Now correct me if I'm wrong, if I'm doing the work of several departments then the pay should be adjusted accordingly. Never mind that my supervisor said I had the pick of the litter for what shift I got thrown to...never mind that I was told "Graveyard is optional, never mandatory."

7) Their response to 99.99% of employee complaints? "Call centers aren't for everyone. If you don't like it, there's the door." No chance to rectify, no chance to elaborate or explain.

Let me make something perfectly clear folks: Before I worked for this band of thieves and liars, I was at an acceptable weight (220, a little pudgy but not to where I'd be considered a super heavyweight), I seldom drank, I never smoked and I wasn't on any prescriptions for depression...nor did I have suicidal thoughts.

After 1 year...
My weight ballooned to 300...
I nearly killed myself three times...
I ended up being put on two antidepressants (Paxil and Trazadone)...
I smoked 2 packs a day...
Every Friday I would drink myself into a stupor...beer, wine, liquor, whatever it took to dull the pain...

Basically, I became a wreck. And rather than Dish trying to offer compassion and support? All I get is told "You need to see a doctor if you want to keep your job." When I took a second round of leave due to depression issues, despite the fact that I had a note from my doctor, I was told the leave was never approved...so I racked up absences, they claimed a ### issue and kicked me to the curb.

Where am I going with this? Simple...

Dish Network doesn't give a damn about anybody but themselves. Trying to get them to understand this is a living, breathing nightmare.

Dish Network will ### their old customers...not giving them any incentive to stay and trying to charge them out the nose if they leave.

Dish Network will ### their new customers...they have no problem lying to them.

Dish Network will ### their employees...period. Because all we are is numbers on a grid to them. They get their 30 pieces of silver, their blood money, and we in turn get crucified.

Guess what Dish? This time, we fight back.

"If you do nothing to dissuade the wicked from their path, they will die for their guilt...but the blood will be on your hands. If you attempt to dissuade the wicked from their path, and they refuse to change, they will die for their guilt but you will be saved." Paraphrasing from Ezekiel 3:18-19.

The Iron Maverick

Sort by: DownDate | Rating

Comments

• St
      22nd of Jun, 2018

so you are saying the long hours and the mass amounts of mental stress forced you to gain weight? I'm a big guy but even i know no one put the fork in my hand. And ive had jobs as you describe and being that busy i lost weight. Unless you're eating the whole time at your desk i dont see it. Stop trying to blame this company for every thing. Ive done sales and it sucks. And i can agree that sales managers bosses are [censored]s usually. Nothing is ever good enough. But you kinda know that going into it. And you had to work on christmas?! oh no how are you alive to even type this? Didn't your world end?? Welcome to the work force. Where you'll be told whatever you want to hear and promises are only good till hired. Im actually in the middle of the hiring process for installer with dish which is why i read this post, but honestly just sounds like a review from a spoiled teen cause he got fat and had to wait 12 hours more to open his presents on christmas. The companies records show for its self its a horrible company. topping 20 worst companies to work for 3 times that ive seen with 2.3 out of 5 on glassdoor. But no one made you eat, which you have to do to gain weight. Find a better drug of choice for stress.

• Bp
      13th of Apr, 2018

I worked at dish for 3.5 years and was let go due to and I quote "reducing the head count... not enough call volume and poor stats..." One the calls were back to back so that was a lie...two..the reducing the head count was an excuse because corporate office gave raises to 20 people and had to cover some where...and three I just was trained in a new department and didn't have enough call volume but I asked HR and they said it was due to my PA which I passed. Hr then told me that I was not conducive to the work environment of the call center anymore. Then they refused to give me my last check due to negative PTO hours being deducted from it or refused to let me speak to HR. No paperwork was given at the time of me being let go other than a little booklet on what being let go means...and a walk to the front desk...very poor place as all of the upper management was fired...for theft and etc etc...they care all about money and number not people... schedules were horrible... working morning one day and night the next...I was supposed to be put in an equivalent department when tech was closed down (I was a T4) which would have been OOP and a year later nothing...I was lowered to a base line dpt and them had pay cut when transferred to loyalty and then right after training was fired. Crappy way to treat employees...

• St
      7th of Apr, 2017

I worked for a contractor in Boca named Infinity as Tier II. Everything you said I will relate to as factual. Sorry about your upsets. I have moved on after being ###*** by this DishTV affiliate. I would tell you that quoting the Old Testament has no effect on these schmucks. I personally ripped their masuza off their pious doorway to the call center before leaving there. It made me feel alive again to leave DishTV/Infinity in Boca Raton even though I had no other financial support and a family to feed. They are the worst of any call centers I ever worked in (5 in 5 years). Yes, damn their dealings.

• Wo
      27th of Jan, 2017

This company is one of the most awful places I have had the misfortune to work for.

When first starting they paid lip service to me, stating that they were concerned about my "career path". This is just one of many lies that have been place down like a layer of straw over a floor of complete refuse. The only goal of the call center I work in is to get people into the "Loyalty" department, and I think once I leave, I will leave a copy of that definition on my managers desk, as they truly do not understand that meaning.
    As a CSC agent you are pressured constantly to SELL SELL SELL, what ever current promotion you were to push upon the customer. Even customers that were struggling to pay the bill, or had some absurd costs forced upon them. On top of this you were required to help a customer, or pass them along to the customer retention department in an allotted amount of time, usually around 6 minutes. In reality this barely gave you enough time to resolve an issue let alone create a long term solution. You would have a coach badgering you if your handle time became excessive. The stats that you were graded on changed constantly, and up-sell was the one that "didn't count" yet weighed heaviest in the final stats you would be graded on in a period.

Recently the entire call center was "converted" to loyalty. They changed everyone in the building to the retention department. They made this decision just before the holidays, at a time that they knew people would not resign. They upturned probably 300-400 peoples lives. They lied to employees on a daily basis. They withheld the new pay structure until after the 1st of the year. They refused promotions to people that had already been given the promotion, saying that they just didn't have class opening to train them yet. They eliminated entire departments of dedicated individuals and mashed the whole site into "retention".

The next step in the Dish master plan was to introduce the new "pay" scale. This was the plan from the start in my opinion. As this was probably a ploy to get the tenured agents out of the company. The new pay structure involved cutting the pay of every agent in the site. People that had gotten raises the month before were getting pay cuts, and those were the small ones. Tenured people? ?Yeah they got the shaft. Some people are going to have as much as $10 a hour cut from their pay. The management just says "You're going to make it up in commission!". However they change the statistics you need to reach every week. This is NEVER consistent. When they first rolled out the new payment structure they used a salesman; and I am sorry the director of the sales portion of the company is a sales man; to pitch a structure that although somewhat convoluted seem to make sense. The numbers were realistic, and obtainable. Three weeks into the new structure and the stats have been changed as many times, making it impossible to set an actual goal to meet. The newest step was to remove pay differentials for those that work nights and weekends.
    The crown jewel to this nightmare is the way management treats its employees.

Unless you are part of the Clique you are basically doomed to work the worst shifts and have no choice on a permanent schedule. In my short time there I have had my schedule changed no less than 6 times, not counting the temporary changes to accommodate the "training" schedule. During that time you get minimal days off and often have to switch into a completely opposite shift for a week, then have less than a single day to switch back, or use your PTO to give yourself a day to recover. Shift changes come at random times and they are arbitrary, with no room for change.
    If you do not meet your stats you are put on a review, and then you are "coached" and given a certain set time to improve. If you do not out the door you go. If you make one mistake with a manager in the site you are forever barred from advancement in the site. They lie and change their stories constantly and make the agents the ones that are unreasonable. When they made the change we were told there would not be any transfers allowed at all. You are becoming a loyalty agent, no if's and's or but's. Their only concern was to keep heads in the site. Two weeks later it's "Well you can't transfer now because of performance appraisals, and that no one gets to transfer at this time". Then weeks later the story is that you always had the option to transfer and that I have not seen anything and that opportunity was always open to you.

The company talks constantly of "ownership". Own the mistake of the Tech/agent/supervisor that screwed up the relationship with a customer. Take "ownership" of the changes, take "ownership" of everything, until it is time to take "ownership" of the employees that have worked awful shifts, or given decades if their life, or forcing people into positions they are either ill suited for, or just burnt out on. Force employees to put up with abuse from customers, you are expected to take the abuse, always. "Just let them vent" they say, or you're not tough enough, or it only happens sometimes. You are not allows to ask a customer to please refrain from profanity, or to keep the call professional. Only once the customer gets person can you get someone involved.

This company and Mr. Ergen are some of the most unscrupulous band of sociopaths that I have ever seen. Needless to say that I would not wish this place upon anyone. I think that they have realized that pay TV service if a diminishing market and they are just trying to squeeze as much money from it as possible. The newest price increases also seem to back this up, as they have introduced an across the board $5 increase, and have raised the rates of receiver fees as well.

• Di
      3rd of Jan, 2017

I'm 77. In May 2016 a Dish Technician came to hook up my new TV and forgot to hook up the other. I ended up with both a "Joey" and "Hopper". I thought I was signing a receipt for the installation but unbeknown to me it was a contract extending through May 2018. My monthly bill almost doubled overnight. I called several times to complain and renegotiate. They then read a letter to me telling me in effect I was a problem customer and if in the future I called more than once a week (or month...I'm not sure) they could unilaterally terminate my contract. I was so angry I told the phone person to F themselves and slammed down the phone. After several minutes I regained my composure and called back to cancel my contract. I told the young lady to offer my apology to the first young lady I cursed since I knew it was not her fault but managements. Long story short, I had to pay $20 a month for the remaining months in the contract for a total of $340 to void this bogus contract. Finally...I had been with Dish for 16 years and had never missed or been late on a payment. If this is the way they treat a long time customer, I can only imagine how they abuse those with less time. Now I am happy as a pig in slop with Time Warner. And...I cannot count the number of friends and family I have warned away from the greedy managers at Dish. Believe me...their reputation will soon catch up with them!

• Re
      5th of Dec, 2016

I find it interesting "Iron Maverick", that YOU and only YOU, let these people walk all over you, especially with that epic name lol. And poor baby had to work on Christmas, wah... It's not like your a Christian anyway, especially using that expletive directly after the word Christmas. What's wrong? Didn't get all screwed up on alcohol while spending quality time with your family!? Pure comedy... Look up what the real meaning of Christmas is and how a Christian is supposed to act...your not it...And you quote scripture from Ezekiel ha! also...YOU let yourself get to 300 lbs... YOU smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day... Dish didn't make you... YOU tried to kill yourself... This pity party complaint is amazing when all you had to do is walk away... Glutton, look it up. That's you. Pick up your sorry rear end and take control of your life, don't let others control it for you.

• Le
      22nd of Oct, 2015

Look at bish network trying to post comments here like they actually care please. My sister has been with them for over a decade, the kind of person who pays all her bills days in advance and has almost perfect credit. Yet you let her overpay for years while claiming that it's not your responsibility to remove your own satellite dishes...hello they got your name on it mo-rons! And the pooper(hopper) no wonder it doesn't work properly, as it was designed primarily to spy on it's customers. After all, those "1AM updates", aren't updates at all. They just send all the data the unit has collected for the day back to their servers. How do you think they get the statistics for "most viewed", for their on demand service? That would be their argument for spying, however the truth is it's not necessary to track ratings in this manner. Just ask cable

6th of Oct, 2014

Jewelsgone,

If you've experienced an incident of theft against you, I'm sorry to hear about that and would be happy to help you if you could please give our Damages department a call at (877) 772-4237.

25th of Sep, 2014

Jewelsgone,

If you've experienced an issue of that nature with our technician(s), I'm sorry to hear about that and can assure you we do have a Damages department that handles this issue. I would welcome your information if you'd like to private message me so we can discuss this further. Thanks!

• Je
      21st of May, 2014

I was wondering if someone can tell me if the service /installation techs are bonded and insured against thieft?

11th of May, 2014

Dsnyder1423,

I've reviewed your post and would like to assist you if you could please private message me with your account number and four-digit PIN so I can have a look! Thank you and I look forward to going over any and all options with you!

• Ds
      7th of May, 2014

I signed up for a 2 year agreement with Dish Network, I fulfilled that agreement. I was happy with dish despite the fact that just like Directv and Time Warner, they too raise your rates after the first year of your 2 year agreement. It has been well over the 2 years so I started shopping and found that I could switch to Directv and get dvr for the entire house, the same programming I already have and free movie channels for 3 months for $87. I want to stay with Dish so I first contacted them via chat. I asked them about upgrading to the hopper and was told it would cost me over $200. So I filed a complaint with the company. I received an email apologizing for the inconvenience and that shortly someone would contact me. 2 weeks go by nothing. So I email them again to say nobody has contacted me. That is when I get Jennifer Huynh, Written Escalations. Customer service is not her thing. In one email she says she will upgrade me to the hopper but it will cost $95, then she says she waive the $95 but my bill with go up $17, close to $150 a month!!! I tell her I don't see why I can't get the new customer deals since I can leave and go with any company. She writes back that if I left I would be paying triple what Dish charges. I know that is not true because I have done the research. She offer free movie channels for 3 months and wants me to sign a 2 year agreement at the $150!!! Here I am trying to stay a Dish customer!!! I ask for her supervisor and her exact words are "I am equipped to handle this issue as I am in the Written Escalations Department: this dispute does not warrant my supervisor." Just to be clear this is all via email so I have it all in writing. Either I try to go above her head or Directv has just earned a new customer.

6th of May, 2014

Gmukelster,

I can see how that's frustrating and would love to help you if you could please private message me with your account number and PIN so I can have a look!

• Gm
      3rd of May, 2014

I'm a customer & my husband is military. When had a military move in January all of our things were burned in a fire. We lost everything, even my 17 month olds footprints from when he was born. Dish network was kind enough to replace the box for free in January and now 5 months later are charging us for it. They are awful at customer service and not as kind as I once thought.

• Da
      2nd of May, 2014

Hi this is David White out of Sanford NC I Totally feel the same way as everyone else, This company is ### they don't care about the customers, but were suppose to be customer orientated and they sure don't care about the employees, "even though we are the face of dish" HA HA what a joke I have used my sick time with my stomach been going to the docs. bringing notes cant find out what is wrong with me I got one more write up myself and im out of here... wow lil over 6 years you would think they would care a little bit right..JOKE all the way we are the least of there worries. Now they are talking about moving are branch to another location what does that mean for me...O yea wont suppose to know that... wow guess there not going to tell us till the last minute when we are all out of jobs but that just shows you how much they really care. I agree with everything, everyone else is saying, Its soo sad that dish only thinks about money when they got a good crew to take care of the job for them, I got pretty much the highest sales and numbers in my branch but that really does not matter. I think they are just looking to take people out one by one... So sad, Im really on my last straw and i really cant take no more of what they do to everyone. Im not a slave and I really think it is ### when i finish my route and have to take care of other SLOW peoples jobs, "especially when they know it will get done and they can just slow roll" but its hurting me I'm one of the fastest techs there and I feel like i get punished for getting done quick especially when it get my jobs done and theres, and the sad thing about it they always happen to beat me back to the shop. Just does not make since to me punish the good techs with more jobs and the ones that slow roll they get done and back to shop before anyone else. Something needs to change because my next step is going to the Better business breau and let the know how dish is.. Very sad yet when i need help or my stomach is acting up and i cant even get out of bed because of my cramps... its soooo bad sorry to vent it just hurts. Im tired of feeling like im being ran over all the time...I don't know how much longer I can hold out I'm 32 years old and I feel like a 50 year old man. Dish really needs to make changes or everyone will be doing something else, then what dish...And half the managers dont even know what we have to deal with out there, but once again do they really CARE?!!!?????

• Tu
      8th of Sep, 2013

Hey MikeL Dish Instead of trying to get people who are done with Dishnetworks abuse to contact you why don't you just give everyone the address of where you are ? Anyone living in virginia or the surrounding area can simply go to 400 technology drive Christiansburg Va. and tell Dishnetwork what you think ! Better yet see Mike at 9601 S Meridian Blvd
    · Englewood
    or he may be at 100 Inverness Ter E
    · Englewood
    Isn't that right Mike L Dish ?

• Tu
      8th of Sep, 2013

I worked at Dishnetwork for 5 yrs, I was an advance tech for most of that time . While I was at Dish i saw many people come and go, one time on a video chat played throughout the call center I saw management bragging that they got the employee turn over down to 140% and they were proud of that ! I was not fired so i have no bias or hurt feelings over my separation from Dish so you know I am telling the truth ! The company treats employees like expendable dogs almost everyone in Christiansburg va has worked for dish and left at one time . They fired a good friend of mine who was literally on her deathbed for missing 5 days after 10 yrs of perfect attendance this is the truth about Dish. Charlie Eargen the Ceo of Dish is either stupid or blind he has his Charlie chats and talks about how great they are but in truth his company is as evil as any place i have ever worked ! Every minute of the day is monitored by Dish 1 minute late from break = an point if you have to go to the bathroom you must use your break time they give 2 15 minute breaks per day most shifts are 10 hrs ! Bottom line horrible company I am amazed they stay in business ! I left because after 5 yrs of constant abuse i literally felt like i had no soul, no empathy, like a robot without feelings i left 8 yrs ago I quit smoking lost weight quit drinking came off meds and have been very happy best decision i ever made was leaving Dish !

ChickyRicky,

As I advised IronMaverickX, I thank you for making us aware of your concern you've posted and would appreciate your efforts if you could please private message me with your contact information so I can have someone reach out to you to look this further for you.

butterfly82103,

It would be my pleasure to help you with your issue if you could please send me your account number in a private message! I'll look forward to speaking with you further to get this all straightened out and resolved and appreciate your efforts!

IronMaverickX,

Thank you for bringing your concern to our attention. We would like to look into this further for you. Can you please private message me with your contact information so we can have someone reach out to you?