Discover Card / trillion dollar hold placed on bank accounts!

I had a Discover Card that I had an approximate balance of $3, 000. on. I had some unforeseen circumstances, mostly medical, that caused me to fall behind in payments. Discover turned my account over to an attorney, who took me to court. In the past two months they have received judgment on me for the $3, 000 with an interest rate of 21.99% and attorney fees of around $1, 000. I had offered to pay the attorney's $50.00 but they would not accept it, so that is why they took me to court, because they felt like I was not willing to pay my debt.

As of yesterday, 5-16, 08, the attorneys have placed a trillion dollar hold on three bank accounts that my name is on; mine, my mother's, and my daughter's. All of us are unable to access our accounts. I am assuming that the reason they are doing this is because they would not be able to garnish my pension (state law), and the other income I have would give them only $50.00, (25% of my earnings). My daughter's and my mother's accounts have the money to pay the debt, but it will leave both of them with nothing. The attorney had told me that Discover will not mess with you and it's obvious that this is true. It appears that they will do whatever it takes to receive their money.

My suggestion to anyone who is looking to have a Discover Card. BEWARE!!! If you lose your job or have an unexpected illness and are unable to pay your bill, expect to be turned over to attorneys. I'm sure that I am not the only one this has happened to and I'm sure I won't be the last. I have absolutely nothing good to say about Discover, their attorneys, or the tactics that they have used to recover a $3, 000. debt.

Tr

Comments

19th of May, 2008

Credit cards aren't a free lunch and the don't take the dramatic step of going to court to collect until they have exhausted all other possibilities. Did you offer to make small payments with them? Did you simply ignore the bills and not even call to tell them what was going on? None of these companies WANT to go to collections, it's expensive and it means they lose a customer. They will work with you, but you have to work with them too.

• Je
      23rd of Jul, 2008

I would consult with an attorney, especially if you dealt with Weltman, Weinberg, and Reis. These are junk debt buyers known for manipulating the courts and have been sued in all 50 states because of their illegal practices.

I have a suit myself pending against Discover for giving them my personal info (when the account wasn't even mine). Can't sue the agency because no damages other than harassment and falsification of court documents to illegally phish for personal information to put people in your situation.