Direct TV / paying for defective receiver
Our 7-month old Directv DVR receiver began making strange noises one morning, power was off. Sounded like the motor/blower fan. When we tried turning on the box, it failed to respond. After repeated attempts to reset using the guidelines provided by the directv documentation, I called their technical service.
After more than 15 minutes of phon-mercials featuring Eli and Peyton Manning, I thought maybe I had mis-dialed Comcast. Finally the fast-talking rep came on and of COURSE had to take the dumb customer through all of the steps of resetting the box AGAIN. Needless to say, it did not work.
Then she informed me that directv would be HAPPY to send me a new DVR receiver 'FREE' of charge except for the $19.95 shipping & handling charge (plus tax). I asked her why I was paying for their defective unit...I mean, we didn't even touch it. Power was off and the motor blew. She explained that those were the terms of receiver replacement.
I'm sure I signed some fine print that stated I would pay S/H for replacement...and I would be fine with that had we been in any way responsible for the unit dying.
The main reasons we signed up for directv were cost savings and supposedly better customer service response. After my nearly 20 minute hold and the $20+ bill for their defective unit, we will be contacting Comcast again when our contract is up.
More Direct TV Complaints & Reviews
- AT&T / Direc TV Bundle My Services - overcharged 
- Direct TV - stay away - direct tv sucks! 
- Direct TV - very poor service and unacceptable contract 
- Direc TV & Costco - terrible experience! 
- Direct TV - prepaid visa card promotion 
- Direct TV - cable
- DirecTV - service technician not showing up on the day of the scheduled appointment and no phone contact to explain the delay or why. 
- Direct TV - customer service dept 
- Direct TV - unprofessional service 
- DirecTV - directv satellite dish tv