Direct TV / paying for defective receiver

Our 7-month old Directv DVR receiver began making strange noises one morning, power was off. Sounded like the motor/blower fan. When we tried turning on the box, it failed to respond. After repeated attempts to reset using the guidelines provided by the directv documentation, I called their technical service.

After more than 15 minutes of phon-mercials featuring Eli and Peyton Manning, I thought maybe I had mis-dialed Comcast. Finally the fast-talking rep came on and of COURSE had to take the dumb customer through all of the steps of resetting the box AGAIN. Needless to say, it did not work.

Then she informed me that directv would be HAPPY to send me a new DVR receiver 'FREE' of charge except for the $19.95 shipping & handling charge (plus tax). I asked her why I was paying for their defective unit...I mean, we didn't even touch it. Power was off and the motor blew. She explained that those were the terms of receiver replacement.

I'm sure I signed some fine print that stated I would pay S/H for replacement...and I would be fine with that had we been in any way responsible for the unit dying.

The main reasons we signed up for directv were cost savings and supposedly better customer service response. After my nearly 20 minute hold and the $20+ bill for their defective unit, we will be contacting Comcast again when our contract is up.

Comments

• Er
      7th of Feb, 2009

I had this same problem with my DirectTV DVR, and had gone through the same steps as described. In fact, I thought maybe I was the one who wrote this, for a moment! They charged me the same amount for S&H for my new DVR, but the big difference here is that once things were said and done, the customer service rep gave me my choice of Starz, Cinemax, Showtime, etc etc for 3 months free as a way to make up for the S&H charge and the "inconvience." While having to pay the money might be irritating, getting a movie package comp'ed for 3 months as a "make it up to you" gift is good customer service in my opinion!