Direct TV / a company that tricks their customers into their services

1 2230 East Imperial HighwayUnited States Review updated:

My Wife and I signed up for direct TV online at their website. We purchased the receivers and paid $319.00 for them, as far as we knew, we owned them, as there was nothing on the site that said otherwise. We received our first bill on 6/9/08 and there were charges for "leased" equipment. I called Direct TV and was informed that we did not actually purchase the receivers, but that they were leased, along with the 4.99 per month charge for each receiver. When I told the rep. that on the site it says nothing about leasing them he said "It does, you just have to know where to look to find the information. They have just agreed with me that they are misleading their customers, I was furious. I called on 6/10/08 because the charges we wrong on our bill and Mandy, the representative I spoke with also told me that the internet leads you to believe that you are purchasing the receivers, it is only when you call in that you are told that you are actually leasing them. In all reality, the $319.00 we paid was a �leased� price, but you only find that out when you receive you first bill.

They also inform you after you are tied in, that if you cancel within 2 years you are charged a $480.00 fee for canceling, plus they also take the equipment that you thought you purchased. It is awful that even the representatives know that there is a problem with the internet site, but apparently no one will do anything to correct it. Direct TV is very deceptive in the way that they lure you in to get your business, but once you are signed up you are locked in for two years, unless you pay the cancellation fee and lose the money you have spent on the receivers. Every month our bill is wrong and they WILL not make it right.

I am furious that we were not told that not only would these charges be incurred but the money we have lost on the receivers. They lead you to believe that you have bought your equipment and all you have to pay is your monthly bill, how wrong that it. I feel like we have been totally taken advantage of and I am stuck in a contract for 2 years with a company that tricks their customers into their services.

Va

Comments

• Dw
      25th of Sep, 2008

i agree 100%. not to metion that with all the "lease" charges, my direct tv bill actually ends up being much higher than my cable bill ever was! AND i'm locked in for 2 years. deceptive indeed. or is it false advertising?

• Do
      23rd of Mar, 2009

I am usually cautious about signing up for cell phones, land line, internet, or cable/satellite.

Being a stressed and worn out parent of two I was stupid enough to take everything at face value.

I signed up online and for direct tv at "special offer" of 34.99 a month for 12 months. What I didn't read in the ole fine print is its a 2 year contract. I'm new to Direct TV and this is common knowledge to the current subscribers.

So basically I will get the first year at the "special rate" but then get hammered the second year of my contract which I'm locked into.

Secondly, you don't automatically get the "special rate". You have to take it on yourself to fill out a rebate form which even though you fill out online some how takes 6 to 8 weeks to process. Which leaves you paying the full amount for the package for two months up front. Then 12 weeks at the "special rate" and then another 10 months at "regular rate" to close out the contract.

Bottom-line. Don't think you are getting a package for 34.99 a month for 12 months and your off the hook if you don't choice to renew. Be ready to pay 60 first two months and last 10 months of a two year contract.