Direct TV / scam billing

I recently tried to cancel my DTV service and turns out, when I upgraded to HD in February of this year and no one told me that I was signing on for an 18 month contract. I was told I would have to pay a $380 cancellation fee and there was nothing I could do about it. No one verbalized it nor was it in any paperwork the day the service person came. So how did I agree to this? So I called then countless times and spoke to "customer service reps" who do nothing but tow the company line and know nothing. I then wrote a letter asking them to wave the ridiculous and unethical cancellation fee and for someone with some authority to please get back to me. SO i get a message on my voice mail letting me know that they will be canceling my service today and charging me the $380 fee. it's like no one really read the letter!! These people are thieves and it is so incredibly frustrating - what can we do about it???

Mw

Comments

• Ji
      11th of Oct, 2008

I have had similar experience with Direct TV. I replaced a digital decoder box with an HD one which I was told by Direct TV to purchase at Best Buy and install on my own. When I called to have it activated, the CS rep did not say " Are you aware that by activating this decoder box, you will automatically be committed to 2 more years of service?" She was very friendly and got me up and running. I even asked if there would be additional charges as I already have another HD box and pay the extra HD monthly service. She said, "No, you're all set."
    When Charter came to the neigborhood 3 months later and provided fast internet service (which I didn't have), I decided to bundle my service with them to include TV. I'd been a Direct TV customer for 6 years, but it didn't matter. They want their decoder boxes back, even the one I bought for $100, and they are charging me $480 early cancellation fee...said they would automatically charge my credit card, even though I told them they did not have my permission to do so, they said they would and could do it anyway. I talked to 3 different people and have mailed the obligatory letter to Direct TV Billing Dispute. Haven't hard back yet. If they press this issue, I will contact the State Attorney General's office. I have to think that I'm not the only person in Minnesota that has had this experience. This constitutes very deceptive business practices designed to trap customers into ridiculous fees if they try to cancel.

• Pr
      6th of Nov, 2014

two times now dir.tv has charged my banking acct. 355.00, then in approx. a week later they make a pos. credit back to my bank for 212.00, they did this on my mothers acct in the same fashion, what gives, I have asked them and of course, they are surprised and will check it out, right ! anyone have this experience ? please reply

• Pr
      6th of Nov, 2014

dir.tv charged 355.00 to my bank, then a week later I was given a credit of 212.00, for what I do not know, nor why, this has happened twice, and once to my moms account. whats up ??