Direct TV / they rob your checking accounts, beware

Phone: 608-849-4251

Direct TV automatically withdrew $457.00 from my checking account without authorization or any notification of this withdrawal from my account. Do no give you credit card or ATM card to this company. The salesmen lied to me and indicated when I signed up for their service my ATM card is only being charged for $21.09 to reserve the installment date. I do not like to pay for monthly bills through any type of credit card. So blindly I gave him my ATM card.

We signed up under the false impressment we would get more HDTV channels through Direct TV than cable. Service was installed on a Sat, 01/26/08. A service technician scheduled to arrive between 8:00 -12:00 and called that morning to confirm the morning timeframe. He did not arrive until 2:30, two and half hours later. The installation was still not complete by 5:15 (a full day for service by Direct TV’s definition) and we had to leave for an appointment so your tech had to also leave without testing the system or showing us how to even use the remote.

The next day Sun 01/27/08 we only had partial service for a few channels and no HD channels at all. I called Direct TV service and they agreed to send out a tech on Monday afternoon. Monday, 01/28 there was no satellite connection at all and I also had to take an afternoon off from work, a full day without service. The tech arrived at 2:30pm and indicated the satellite was not installed properly. Once service was working, I indicated the quality of the High Definition channels did not look as clear and vivid as I previously had with cable. The tech actually agreed with me and called several times to make sure the HD signal was being sent. I also indicated to the tech, if I wasn’t happy with this picture quality that I would cancel since this was the main reason we tried Direct TV, for the additional HD channels which you promoted the Choice Plus package with 70 HD channels when in reality there are only 39. The tech rep indicated I would have 60 days to cancel if I wasn’t satisfied. If you’re looking for HDTV quality cable has a direct line and clearly provides a better HD quality then a satellite connection.

We decided that the high definition quality just was not there and I canceled this service on Wednesday, Jan 30; since I did not receive service until Monday I thought well within the 3-day remorse of receiving full service. Direct TV did not fulfill they part of the contract by providing me with service and indicated it does not matter if I had service or not they activated my account on Sat, Jan 26. I was only authorizing a debt card transaction of $20.00 for reserving the technical installment. Direct TV redrew the $457.00 cancellation fee based on an early cancellation fee, it doubles for HD services. They used my debit card as entitlement to free access to my account and lied during the sales call. had no prior notification of this withdrawal, which should be totally unethical, and fraud

In addition the only way to dispute a claim with Direct TV is through a written letter. No emails, no phone calls, they will not even acknowledge you. It is totally unacceptable that with today’s technology that the consumer cannot talk with a manager directly or dispute this claim by email. This customer service tactic tells me Direct TV only wants their money any way they can get it and they will keep your money as long as possible. Ironically when my financial institution reversed the charges then Direct TV would talk to me. I talked with server representatives all very rude telling me they are a multibillion dollar company and within their rights. Also I offered to pay $100.00 for the installment, they also indicated they do not negotiate. I’m still deputing this claim. I’ve filed with Consumer Protection Agency, which they only get the same response from Direct TV and are really no help.

Any suggestion for next steps? Has anyone won against this company? Is it worth to go to small claims court?

Comments

• Bl
      25th of May, 2008

I hate DirectTV for the same reason, when they couldn't provide service when i moved i was forced to cancel. Ok no problem, but when i did they charged me $775.00 without knowing. That week i payed off a credit card and house payment plus this, [censored] it was like 4k out that week, and it took them 6 weeks to get it back to me.

[censored] DirectTV, i will never use them again!!!

• Bl
      25th of May, 2008

Oh and what i did was dispute it with my bank as a false charge and called numerous times to directtv.

When a company gets a bunch of chargebacks, the credit cards companies get pissed :)

• Da
      12th of Mar, 2009

My neighbor gave me an HD receiver so I just needed DirectTV to activate it. I had no idea they would extend my contract because the bozo on the phone did not tell me. I'm going to cancel just because of this. This is bad business and their customers should not put up with it. They want $425 in early connection charges which is insane. I've been with them for 7 years.