Direct TV / very poor service and unacceptable contract

I have had direct TV now for about three months and have had one problem after another. I had initially switched from cable to DirectTV because I thought that their high definition service would be superior. Big mistake. Since the time of install I have been through 4 high definition receivers, each one failing for a different reason. When your service goes out with DirectTV your only option is to wait for a replacement box or for a service tech which in my case has taken close to a week each time. My service has been so spotty that I have had to retain my cable so that I have a backup. Talk about spending too much for T.V. service. Now that my experience with these buffoons has soured to the point it has i decided that i had had enough. Unfortunately their two year contract insulates them from having to provide any level of acceptable service at all. Even though my experience has been a nightmare and I have spent countless valuable hours trying to resolve issues they will not offer to terminate my contract no matter how many times I have requested this. I am currently without any service again and I have decided that I am going to bite the bullet and pay the termination fee. I am not litigious person but have considered taking these bullies to court. I can't imagine that I am the only person that has had these issues. I would avoid doing business with this company at all cost. I wish good luck to all those that are in the same boat as me.

Comments

• Mi
      13th of Mar, 2008
    Direct TV - Too many!
    Direct tv

On march, 7, 2008 my husband was really happy, he was getting Direct tv!!! We are cubans and he only speaks spanish so he asked for spanish programming, someone just sold him Choice (that's only in english, so there we were stock we something he didn't wanted) after being for hours on the phone they change the plan but didn't realize the antenna wasn't right so we spent another day trying get what we were paying for, at the end of the day I was frustrated and angry and wanted to cancel the service (2nd day) but we only went from one representative to another without getting any answers or help, no one thought about the antenna until I talked to a friend and he told me maybe that was the problem, It was true (that was the problem) when I called to the company they send a technician (next day) so he changed the antenna, but all we could watch in spanish was channels for shopping (no history channel or discovery that is what my husband likes) we were not satisfied so we decided to cancel anyway, after being for hours on the phone finally we got some one who told us that we have to pay $366 .I was really disappointed so I kept calling and even wrote a complaint e-mail, the answer I receive was that I have to pay not only the fee but also the channels that were free for 3 months!!! Finally I search on the web and found this web site, I feel so bad I am not the only one that's being robbed by Direct tv, also there is not web sites like this in spanish, it's like we are more vulnerable s to this kind of scams.

• Ri
      13th of Mar, 2008
    Charge for cancellation
    p obox 6262
    Ocala
    Florida
    Phone: 8005315000
    www.directv.com/hotpass

Contacted an internet site ordered a package. For $39.99 was contacted by a representative of Direct to confirm an institution, agreed to the date. Received a bill for $58.00 five days later called direct and was told that would be my monthly bill because I had up graded. And if I wish to cancel it would cost me $300.00 as I was locked into a 18 month contract.

I'm retired and cannot afford this amount.

• Mi
      14th of Mar, 2008
    Direct TV - Worst customer service!
    Direct TV

Simple, they advertised if you signed with direct tv you would get a free DVD player. This ad was in 2007. I signed up, its march 2009 and still no DVD player. I called about it, they brushed me off to customer service in the phillipines, they were like "we don't remember having an ad". I laughed, hung up the phone.

They upgraded the software in my SET one day, the set didn't work, I called about it, they CHARGE FOR ASSISTANCE. They don't back up their product really.THEY CHARGE YOU FOR EVERY BIT THEY CAN! BEAUTIFUL, I LOVE GIVING AWAY MY MONEY!!!

Any who, being that I am to tired to get into details, direct tv works when it wants to. I cant wait to get TIME WARNER AGAIN where they come to your house, fix your problem and don't charge you for it!

DIRECT TV, I d rather put an empty box of cheerios, 2 ice cream sticks with glue together and pray to the antenna Gods to give me reception before I extend my plan with DIRECT TV.

• Ke
      16th of Mar, 2008
    Direct TV - Termination fee!
    Phone: 508-543-6449

My service went out in january of this year (2008). They said I needed a new card. I offered to pay for overnight FEDex because I was having friends over for Football playoff games.they said it couldn't be done. i got a new card and after one week I had no service again. I spent hours on hold trying to get through to customer service. To make a long story short I had to discontinue service. They said i would be charged an early termination fee. I told them that they didn't honor their side of the commitment. I sent a registered letter to Direct TV with the details of my situation. They would respond by saying that I didn't keep my commitment with no mention of their horrible mis-handling of my situation. Without responding to my registered letter, they charged my credit card the termination fee.

I will challenge this thievery and tell everyone I know not to use Direct TV.

• Dy
      16th of Mar, 2008

I too have been scammed by directv. I canceled my service because of poor quality with the equipment, and with customer service department. They lied to me and did not honor their end of the contract with me. They lied to me about the rebate, the discount I was to get each month off my bill, installation was from a old beat up pickup-truck and some guy that did not know what he was doing. I was promised a certified directv technician. I was charged for a pole to mount the dish which was never mentioned to me over the phone. I could go on and on about their horrible service. They deducted 421.00 out of my credit card account without my consent, and when I called, I also got the run- around. I spoke with Leann ID# 100242183 in Tenn. trying to get help. I have sent a certified letter to their dispute center at P O Box 6550 Greenwood Village, CO. 80155-6550. I also sent to BBB and FCC. Directv knows they can get away with dishonorable practice , that's why they don't care what you say to them over the phone. I will spread the word to everyone or anyone I know thats thinking of getting directv ... run, run, run. I will keep fighting to get my money back and I wish someone would start a class action suit against them, I also would be the first one to sign up. I also wish our goverment would not allow companies such as directv to continue this kind of practice.

• Al
      17th of Mar, 2008

I cancelled their service after 4 days which was within their time frame for a refund. I asked how to get the refund and return the equipment, they sent me pre-paid UPS boxes and I sent the 4 recievers back to them. I didn't see a credit to my account so I called after about 2 1/2 weeks to make sure they recieved the equipment. They showed that they had the equipment, but that they would not be refunding my money because it isn't their policy the refund for equipment! Whatever! So I stopped payment through my credit card bank and called back again to talk to someone reasonable. I found the reasonable guy who said sorry for the hassle, it was fine that I stopped the charge, and my account balance was zero. And then I got a letter stating I would be sent to collections if I didn't pay the money for the equipment! They sent me to collections. I am now dealing with Riddle and Assoc. because DirectTV sicked them on me, but I sent them all the BS info from DirectTV that I have and told them I would be copying the BS claim to my own attorney to clear up my credit record due to this lovely company.

• Pa
      22nd of Mar, 2008
    Charge for cancellation
    Box 6550
    Greenwood Village
    Colorado

I canceled my service with Direct TV after 7 years because I moved to another state. I was not under any contracts with Direct TV. Each time I call DT they assure me the problem has been corrected and I do not owe them any money. Today I was notified they have turned my account over to a collection agency. When I called... again the idiot I spoke with did not have a clue even though she identified herself as the billing supervisor.

• To
      22nd of Mar, 2008

I have had the same problem but my bill went into collection affecting my credit score. Here what happened.

Incident
    This "Account" was terminated in September 2007 when I moved back to my home in another county in Mississippi. I never received another bill and assumed I was current. Somehow this account was continued without my knowledge and possible moved to another location. I am currently trying to contact CBE Group and/or Direct TV. I will pay their $678.00 blackmail in order to get this off my report. And if you ever see Direct TV on my report again I can assure you it will be fraudulent because I will never deal with them again. Note: I have contacted Direct TV's Costumer Support at phone number 800-494-4388 and after a hour they where unable to find my account. Isn't that a joke. They cannot find my account but they can screwup my credit report.

Damage Resulting
    The action of placing this on my credit report has affected my credit score by 70 points. This can possibly have an affect on a property purchase planned for next week. The legal ability for these people to do this is total and outrageously wrong.

• Ra
      25th of Mar, 2008

I agree with this posting. DirectTV has done the same thing with me and I'm thinking of starting a class action lawsuit to start in Volusia County, FL and then depending on a lawyer I may go national. Everyone if you haven't already file a complaint with two sites:
    * consumeraffairs.com
    *lawcash.com
    I paid for the service to start using "check by phone". I have a 10 page folder to prove that they have lied to the state attorney generals of Florida and Georgia.
    If you know of any dissatisfied customers in the Datona Beach, FL area please tell them to contact my e-mail:

• Jf
      30th of Mar, 2008

W just got hit by Direct TV. We recently cancelled the service after having it since the late 90's. In October of 2007 our DVR quit working and we called Direct TV to repair. They said it was dead and sent a replacement. I specifically asked if there was a charge and was told "no". That our monthly fee covered it.

When I called to cancel I was told that I owed 320 dollars for early cancellation since the 'new' dvr carried a 2 year contract. I have talked to every service rep they have. The story is the same. A slip of paper in the box used to ship the new dvr to us said that it carried a two year contract. I am protesting the charge, however I just looked at my bank account and Direct TV has charged by check card with 75 dollars! I never gave them this debit card, however do electronic bill payment.

If someone has a class action suit going, let me know.

• Ia
      1st of Apr, 2008

Details: To whom it may concern, For a reason yet determined by either me or Direct TV's representatives I did not get an HD receiver with my installation. My ignorance with regard to this error is my own since I did not know that there were different types of receivers. However when my wife placed the order for service she was under the impression that since we have a 55 inch HDTV that an HD receiver would be installed. After speaking at length, actually over 40 minutes, with a company rep and her
    supervisor earlier today no resolution was reached due to their claim that too much time had elapsed. Your reps both stated that the work order showed no notation re the HD receiver BUT also admitted that an oversight of this nature could have been the fault of the person taking the order. When I offered that we share the possible mistake and compromise on the additional charges I was rebuffed by the rep and while speaking with her supervisor the phone was hung up either by accident or plan. I am ascribing
    no blame beyond accident for the disconnect but as well I did not get a return call either. I think that your rep must have had my number. I am no picnic and I am not an easy person to wear down or even respond to although I am calm and polite. I subscribed to your service as an alternative to Comcast which I felt had become pricey and arrogant in their dealings, at least with me. The response I received from your reps is in the same league. I am not interested in opening a can of worms or a dogfight. I
    would like you to honor my request for the installation of an HD receiver and whatever other accoutrements are needed at a minimal or better no charge. I understand the argument with regard to the elapsed time but do not agree that as a customer I should have discovered the mistake within the fifteen day grace period given by your reps as the limit to correct an error. I trust that a reasonable and satisfactory agreement can be reached. Thanks, Ian
    The first response I received was polite and satisfactory but the following (enclosed) is simply read from the same script read to me by the above mentioned supervisor before he hung up. Although the English written and perhaps spoken in whatever corner of the planet Gerquisha resides leaves a bit to be desired, the message of UP YOURS is loud and clear. You go girl!
    "Your work order has already been signed and closed as an indication that you are satisfied with the installation and your equipment. If their was a mistake, we'd hope that you would contacted us prior to the technician leaving or signing the work order so we could revised your work order for the correct equipment. The New Customer offers are only available during the initial order, not after. DIRECTV will not honor your request for more free equipment.
    You can upgrade your equipment for as little as $99 for an HD Receiver or $199 for an HD DVR (applicable taxes, shipping & handling charges may also apply). Depending on your individual equipment/system setup, an installation fee may apply. Installation fees range from $0 to $99. A representative can tell you what, if any installation charges will apply when you place your order. Or, if you choose to upgrade online, any installation fees will be presented to you prior to completing your order.

Our HD ACCESS package is automatically added to your account when you add an HD receiver. HD ACCESS is included in our Plus HD DVR package; in most other packages, it’s only $9.99 a month and it gives you access to your favorite HD channels."

Sincerely,

Gerquisha C. 404421
    DIRECTV Customer Service My only response may be to simply let them go fish. I care less about these creeps and their credit reports. They can come and collect everything or it will simply collect dust in my garage. I'm too damned old for this crap.

• El
      4th of Apr, 2008
    Direct TV - Still charging after no srvice

This compant Direct Tv in puerto Rico is very unprofessional and delays in crediting their customers for incorrect charges. Icanceled the service 02/11/08 and on 02/19/08 i was rebilled for a month of service of $38.60. Today April 5 it has not been credited. Also, a paymnt was made via money order. usps confirmed it had been cashed by them and they have not credited the $35.00 payment made 02/11/08 as of yet April 5, 2008. What else can I do re: the $0.00 balance I should have reflected on my account.

• Bo
      5th of Apr, 2008

We have a problem w/ Direct TV for taking money out of our account w/o authorization. How do we get it back? Small claims? I also would strongly urge anyone to spread the word.

• St
      6th of Apr, 2008
    Direct TV - Unfair charges
    P.O. Box 6550
    Phone: 1-800-531-5000
    directv.com

Replaced a receiver that was receiving free Playboy TV, after 2yrs Hi-Def service was up I decided to drop their service, after calling in to cancel service I was told because I received a new receiver that re-obligated me to another 2 yrs service, so for reporting free programing I get penalized for doing so, and charged an early termination fee. Guess I should have said nothing, as a customer you get treated like nothing. Free programing I guess you shouldn't report, can't beleive Direct TV just turns their heads to someone that does what is right.

• Ji
      6th of Apr, 2008

I am a TV Cameraman. I pre-paid 3 years of service with TiVo. I was told by direct tv sales that my TiVo will work. I is not even compitable. Since I use TiVo with my work, I canceled and went back to cable (which does work) and for many other lies told and promises never kept. I was charged a cancilation fee. I can not even get any resolution from the resolution department. Why is the FCC not getting involved?

• Ni
      8th of Apr, 2008

I spoke with Tiffany in the Kansas Call Center this evening 4/8/08 at 927pm who advised me that there is a software issue with the two direct TV boxes that I have model R15. This problem prohibits the machines to perform series recordings correctly. I requested new boxes. Tiffany refused. I requested an ETA of when the software upgrade would be available - she did not know. I requested partial credit since I have been unable to consistently view series recordings Tiffany refused. I requested to speak with her manager/have her manager call me back. She also refused.
    I contacted American Express case #GZ21935 to dispute this matter and to suspend any further charges until I receive what I am paying for. Please provide partial credit for all of these months and issue two new DVR boxes so that I may receive what I have been paying for all along. I can’t be the only one with this problem.

• Ra
      10th of Apr, 2008

c036Also e-mail clarkhoward.com if you live outside Atlanta GA or call him if you live in Atlanta GA -his number is on his website clarkhoward.com. I'm thinking of mailing a copy of their letter to attorney general Bill McCollum plus a copy of their bill to him to prove they are lying. Also according to an e-mail I paid an electronic funds payment around January 16. I'd like a company rep to tell me how I made a payment while in the hospital (1/8-1/18/08) and I don't want to hear a bullish story that my landlord and friend took one of my checks and read it to them. Why is it bullish I ran out of Suntrust checks in early December and didn't reorder until late January. If anyone can come up with Direct TV's picture logo send it to me and I'll relabel it and post it to the internet utube: "pissedofftv" Excuse my french but I'm quite angry and irritated when companies like Direct TV tells lies and allegedly commits fraud. Any disatisfied Direct TV customer with billing issues in Volusia County FL contact me by e-mail with your story and mailing address at

• Va
      11th of Apr, 2008
    Direct TV - Fraud and scam!
    PO BOX 6550
    Phone: 888-777-2454
    www.directv.com

I ordered Direct TV, spent about twenty minutes going over all the various items, packages etc, no problem. I told the woman on the phone I wasn't sure whether they could install it due to the location of my apartment. No big deal, she says I have thirty days to decide, so ok. Needless to say, when I called today, it turns out they have a 24 HOUR return policy, and if I want to cancel (two weeks into the contract) it will cost me 400 dollars!!!

Needless to say, if they had told me this I wouldn't ever have consented to the hookup. Ludicrous I say. Anyway, now the account is in suspension which saves me from paying monthly charges, yet does nothing for my feeling of betrayal. After the suspension is up I guess it's back into suspension I go until the contract is up.

Buyer beware!

• Je
      11th of Apr, 2008

direct t.v. is a rip off...it was on my credit report i owed them money..i was living with my friend and the cable was in my name...when i moved i paid my last bill and called direct t.v. and had the service switched over to my old room mates name...i asked if i had to return the receivers or anything and they said no it would be switched into her name. She started receiving bills in her name...yet when i called them about my credit report they said that when i moved out she must had called and switched it back in my name...i said did you get my signiture, or my social security number or any proof it was me switching into my name and they said no i had my friend call them and tell them she had never switched it back into my name and they told her that unless she pays the bill it won't come off my credit report...how is this possible when i wasn't living there and it was switched into her name... wow they suck

• Wh
      13th of Apr, 2008

Sorry lady, you live in the country, learn the language