Direct TV / horrible

Phone: 800-531-5000

I called Direct TV and asked about their promotions. After a long conversation I thanked the sales rep and told her I was not interested in making a change. She offered a 4 month promotion that included introductory pricing and the NFL Ticket for free.

When I turned her down her offer went to nine months. I couldn't refuse at this point and I agreed to become a customer. Other than taking 30 seconds to change some channels and haveing problems in the snow, it was fine for 4 months. Than my promotion ran out. It turns out the sales rep flat out lied to me.

I called and explained the situation to a customer service rep. Than another and another and another and another manager and another manager, etc, etc, etc. After 10 calls and Direct TV failing to live up to their original offer I have given up.

Recently I noticed a $399.95 charge on my credit card. I called again multiple times to explain they were never given permission to bill my credit card. I just filled out an affadavit accusing Direct TV of theft and had to cancel the card to prevent further charges. They say I'm under a contract I never signed. I refused to sign after installation because the installer never heard of a nine month promo.

Today I received an $800 bill from Direct TV. They won't see a dime. This is the biggest joke of a company I have ever seen. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THEM.

Comments

• Je
      4th of Sep, 2008

I just had a run in with Direct TV. I had been a loyal customer for 51/2 years. About 6 months ago I added an additional Tivo for my son's room. Time Warner approached me with a bundle package. Without knowing I was under contract I cancelled my Direct. I was surprised when I received a bill for 400.00 dollar. I was told that when I ordered the new Tivo that this enrolled me into a new 2 year contract. I was shocked. Nobody had told me this little bit of information. Not when I ordered the box, not when the box was installed. Direct said that they emailed me this information but somehow the word hotmail was spelled wrong, and of course they blamed this on me, and I never got the email. They also said that on the bill after the new equipment was installed that there was a little something saying that when you add equipment this enrolls you into a new contract.

I have made several attempts to get this this handled but they will not budge. In my eyes Direct TV has an unethical practice of decieving the consumer. This is how they can make extra money.

I won't be quiet about this. I only hope that enough people have been burned by their practices of being less than honest so that a class action lawsuit could someday be filed against Direct TV...

• Da
      19th of Jun, 2013

Very deceptive company! There are so many hidden fees that they bind you to unknowingly! I suggest you read everything online first. all the fine print! All of it!!! Once you sign anything you are stuck for two years!!! It is a nightmare!!! You might see a 39.99 a month deal or a 44.99 a month deal and will wind up paying $80 a month after all those hidden fees. If you try to do anything, they fee you for it all. They even try to scam you with a equipment protection fee. It's if anything happens to the equipment, they'll fee you more! It's a scam! You think your cable company is a scam...Wait till you sign a contract with DIRECT TV! It's a nightmare! Know what you are getting into before you sign anything. DO it online, not over the phone!!! READ ALL SMALL PRINT...CLICK ON ALL LINKS TO FIND EVEN MORE SMALL PRINT!!!

22nd of Jul, 2013

CALLED BECAUSE OF EQUIPMENT FAILER WAS TOLD I HAD TO WAIT A WEEK FOR SERVICE. FIRST SPOKE WITH SOME ONE FROM GEORGIA, THEN SPOKE WITH SOMEONE FROM IDAHO. I LIVE IN WISCONSIN! CAN'T GET ANY SERVICE ON THEIR FAULTY EQUIPMENT!!! POOR SERVICE!!!

• Co
      23rd of Jul, 2013

Direct TV has no credibility. The internet and satellite TV bundle package that I was solicited for was quoted at a rate of $61.00 per month for 10 months, and $71.00 per month for the remaining 14 months of my contract. Although there would be no installation charge, I was required to pay $120.30 for a Direct TV credit check and $25.00 for a Century Link credit check. This process took less than 2 minutes and was taken directly from my checking account. Direct TV denied any knowledge that I wanted the internet service; however, they charged me separately for it. Since May 11, 2013, total charges are $435.00. The $61.00 quoted has developed into $175.00 per month. They have refused to rectify the billing; however, I have numerous saved emails from customer service and cell phone records which indicate my repeated attempts to resolve the issue. I have substantial documentation and will be pressing charges for theft by deception.