Direct Tv / unauthorized withdrawal

United States Review updated:

Authorized friend to use my card to re-activate his TV. I was reassured by customer service rep that this was a one time only charge. This was 11 months ago. April 17thi they took $238.24 out of my bank account, completely unauthorized. After speaking with 10 people, I still do not have my money back. I've had automatic payments bounce as a result. I've never had an account with this company and obviously never will. They keep telling me that they'll refund it and it will be back in my account within 4-5 days. Come and gone, no money yet. Then I have to get copies from my bank showing bank charges to try and recoup what was lost. No one there seems to know what they're doing.

Comments

• Ry
      16th of Jun, 2007
    Direc TV - Unauthorized withdrawals!

Down in florida in the boon docks you have no cable so you get direct TV... 2 and half years ago with a 1 year contract np... then first year passes np contract time is done... Then the fancy much wanted direct TV with dvr comes out you really really want it but want no more service contracts. So you go down to your local wallwart and pay nearly 400 bucks for it so you will have no contract. Then you come home and turn it on with direct TV that you already have service with np... year and half goes by you go to move to place that has cable and so you decide to dump direct TV. So you call direct TV and they tell you there will be a 100 dollar fee for a contract termination and you have to send the receiver back... you say no way in hell i don't have a contract and i bought it outright.. they say no no you didn't... and you don't have the receipt from year and half ago to prove it so you say fine you can have the darn thing back but im not paying the penalty. They say yes you are, i say no i am not bill me... Then you find out the next day that they went into your bank account (that you only made one time payments to them with your visa part of your debit card) and deduct the money. So then you call them and say hell no you did not have authorization to do this put it back. When the direct TV replies" we sent out a form letter in april with everyones bill saying we would have authorization to go into bank accounts and do this for termination fee's." I respond "those were one time authorizations not permission for re-occurring withdrawals, and this is fraud. So then sit on hold for 3 hours with my bank filing disputes and fraud against direct TV. Just the stress i need.

Moral of the story any of you use a visa or any other form of online one time payment methods with direct TV take that information off of there now only pay them using billpay and bank issuing a check... even then they might still try to pop you... lol!

• Hu
      25th of Aug, 2007

I had the same thing happen to me and it wasn't even my account. I helped a friend out one month and paid his bill online. He cancelled the service months later and out of the blue Direct TV charges my debit card for the amount he owed, which wasn't even past due! To top it off, it overdrew my checking account and overdraft charges were applied. Of course this outraged me. I will get my money back from them one way or another. I am in the process of faxing this and that. I asked for the overdraft charges as well as the other money. I will take them to court just to prove I'm right. They can't just out of the blue charge someones card. They should be hit by a huge fine.. becuase were I'm from, America, it's illegal!

• La
      24th of Dec, 2007

I HAD THE SAME THING HAPPEN TO ME LAST WEEK..THEY TOOK 798.00 FROM MY ACCOUNT, DOY OU KNOW OF WAY OF GETTING THIS BACK ? I PAID WITH MY BANK CARD ONCE AND THEY KEPT THE NUMBER ON FILE AND WITHDREW THIS MONEY WITHOUT MY PERMISSION..SOMEONE HELP ME !!

• Ki
      20th of Aug, 2009
    directv

I received a charge for $307.62 from directv, hilarious as it may be, i do not even have an account with directv. I alled the number listed on my bank acct statement, they transferred me to finanial operations where the rude rep karen was to no avail. Couldnt tell me why/what/how...Nothin. Was given a fax # to fax my bank acct/debit card #/all of my personal info so they could research...She had the day and amount of the transaction (Which is today) ...And told not sure how long it would take, i then spoke with supervisor vanessa, they are a bunch of jokes!!! I dont even have an acct with them...Told me someone would contact me by phone, they have yet to call...This is bull!!! Lets report them to better business bureau

• Th
      22nd of Dec, 2010

It was wrong for that rep. to say that because directv keeps all credit card info. on file and if necessary then they will use the card.

27th of Sep, 2013
    Direct TV

I cancelled my account with Direct TV and had a remaining balance of $117.00 in which Direct TV took it upon themselves to withdraw from my account the balance instead of waiting for it to be sent to them.
    I am now broke for 1 week until payday. I didn't authorize them to withdraw without letting me know

• Co
      27th of Sep, 2013

You did authorize it when you signed your contract for service. What you didn't do was read the contract.

• My
      30th of Sep, 2013

direct tv took money out of my account 5 days early I cancel auto pay august 25 they said they don't have it on file that I cancel my auto pay now my bank charge me 317 dollars I need my money back in my account