Direct TV / try my tactic!
I noticed that my Direct TV bill was about $50 higher than it typically is so I looked at the details of my bill and noticed that they had incorrectly billed me for an add on service (NFL Sunday Night Ticket) that I had never requested... I hate football! So I called customer service and was told that since there was a free promotion happening when I joined a year ago and that promotion included the NFL football thing (which I never watched, by the way), that they automatically signed me up for this year! They claimed that they sent me a letter in June and I had 30 days to let them know if I didn't want it! Hello? Unethical business practice anyone? I then asked if I could get a refund and they said no. Then I asked if I could at least cancel the service so I don't continue to get charged and they told me that I had to continue to pay for several months for a total of $250!!! I asked if I could cancel my service altogether because I was so appalled that they were bullying me and they said it would cost $300 to cancel!! The good news? I supposedly got it resolved... but I will believe it when I see it. Here's what I did several hours later:
- I logged onto my account and searched their site for "regulations", "FCC", "complaints", "legal" etc. to try to find out the rules and what public agency governs their regulations. I wonder if they have a record of the searches you do when you are logged in... I suspect they do.
- I called the automated customer service and said the word "complaint" when the voice-activated system prompted me. Interestingly, my call was answered right away by a VERY polite agent (unlike the ones I talked to earlier in the day).
- The agent had a record of my previous calls and said that she would talk to her supervisor. She put me on hold for a few seconds and came back and said that they would not only cancel the service but would refund me the 2 months of charges within 24 hours!!! That was about an hour ago so we'll see. It will be quite a surprise if they do fix it.
I just thought I would post this in case anyone wanted to try my tactic.
More Direct TV Complaints & Reviews
- AT&T / Direc TV Bundle My Services - overcharged 
- Direct TV - stay away - direct tv sucks! 
- Direct TV - very poor service and unacceptable contract 
- Direc TV & Costco - terrible experience! 
- Direct TV - prepaid visa card promotion 
- DirecTV - satellite tv 
- DirecTV - signed up for directv satellite account without my authorization 
- DirecTV - directv 
- DirecTV - Billing 
- DirecTV - The tv service