Direct TV / rebates

I too have been the victim of Direct Tv false advertising scams. I signed a contract with a Direct Tv agent for an agreed upon price of $50. a month, a $23.00 savings for 12 months of the 18 month contract.
The first bill was pro-rated, so nothing seemed suspicious. The 2nd months bill came in at $73.00, not $50. I called Direct Tv and was then told that we must submit the rebate on-line. I was not able to submit the rebate - the website would not allow it. My husband called the next month and was told by the opeator at Direct Tv that she could not apply for the rebate, but to try again on-line.. Again I went back to the website. There I was still not allowed to submit fort the rebate. Today when I called - guess what? The rebate has expired and they want $300. to cancel the service. Buyer beware!!!
No where in the pages of paper work I have is there an experation date for this rebate.. No where in the inital contract with Direct Tv does is state that the rebate must be applied for on-line. Tacky. Nasty business practices.

Comments

• Kn
      15th of Feb, 2009

look at the bottom of your first bill..its states rebate info..enough time to submit before the expiration date...never stop reading on amount due on your bill..most important info are located at the bottom of the bill

• Je
      23rd of Feb, 2009

It is a load of cramp, Basically same thing happen to me also. Except I didnt receieve the first bill until after the 60 days was up. We actually recieve the 2nd bill first. They know extactly what they are doing becuase basically if you call BS to them stay on the phone with them. They magically will offer you a 5 dollar rebate on the spot.

• Li
      27th of Feb, 2009

I had an almost identical experience. The first month bill that printed out at order time clearly showed the rebate. I had no idea that I needed to do anything else. By the time I realized they were billing my credit card for the full amount, it was too late to apply for the online redemption (that I thought I was getting simply for ordering online) and now they will not give me the rebate. I am thoroughly displeased with this company and I will be cancelling the service as soon as my 18 month contract is overwith. Buyer beware! Not an ethical company. My belief is that they bury it in the fine print so they won't have to honor the rebate. I'll be discouraging everyone I know from using Direct TV!!!

• Mi
      27th of May, 2009

I am on the phone right now about this very subject, my so called online deal is based on a rebate that was never applied for? A rebate is given after you buy something! I to waited because of the prorated billing I thought was on my bill. Thy extended the rebate from 60 to 90 days but it is never mentioned on the billing statement. It is a scam no doubt close to bait and switch as you can get. The deal was to get the discount you had to have the bill paid through you credit card and a rebate system was never presented during the time of the on line sign up. Sad to say that I left Dish for all their hidden cost and fees only tobe taken by a better BSer in Direct TV!

• Ty
      14th of Jul, 2009

Same thing happened to me. I applied for this through ATT. ATT had 3 rebates. I applied for all 3 and thought I was done. My bill was over and Direct TV says I never applied for the $21 off a month for a year rebate. I called and argued with managers and they won't do anything. So, I am stuck paying $21 more than anyone else who signs up for new service. They wanted $400 to cancel. I sent a letter to direct TV yesterday along with a copy of my letter to the Better Business Bureau. I also requested a copy of the form I signed locking me in a contract. If they can't prove I signed anything, then I want out.

• Lb
      5th of Sep, 2009

I too went through the same thing with them. I was told that my bill would be 39.00 a month that it would never change. That because of my good credit I would get a FREE DVR, when I asked how much it would cost me he said NOTHING. It will never cost you a dime. I was told that I had to do the rebate before the service was installed, I did not have internet and he told me to go somewhere and use a public computer. I live in a one horse town and I don't know of any place they have public computers. When I got my first bill of 70.11 and I called them she was the rudest person I have ever talked too. She basically told me I was stupid and did not listen to what the guy was telling me when I signed up for the service. And that the DVR was Free BUT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR A SERVICE FEE. That is not free. Now what good is a free DVR if you aren't going to use it, and I never even asked about it or for it. When I told them that I wanted to canc the contract for false information he informed me he would charge my credit card 500 + dollars. I would warn anyone of using this company and I think that we should all find an attorney that will do a CLASS ACTION SUIT against them for False advertisement. I think we should go to the Federal Trade Commission.

• Wo
      6th of Oct, 2009

They offered us a great deal to switch from Dish Network (we'd been with them 11yrs) upgraded equipment free, more chanels free, 3 months movies free all for the same monthly fee. ($54.00) A "processing" fee of $21. charged to our Credit card would be the only charge. Right! Our first bill was $93.00 charged to our Credit card, then another $93.00 showed up. Someone forgot to tell us that you had to go on line and register for the rebates/discounts. I was charged $56.00 for the monthly service alright, but then another $10.00 for the HD Box, $5.00 for each equipment rental and when all the taxes were added it was back up to $94.06 and I have no movie chanels. And no HD channels up stairs on the bedroom box. It is a rip-off and I've about decided to cancel the whole thing and pay the discount fee rather than give them almost $1200. a year when Dish Network can give me everything cheaper. Is there a help site that we can go to for these issues????

• Ty
      6th of Oct, 2009

Hey Wolfman77,

I am tylerb from above. I wrote Direct TV and the BBB. The BBB sent me a response back from direct tv that they would honor my rebate for the monthly discount for 12 months!

So, I recommend writing a letter to the BBB and Direct TV. Explain everything and just ask to be relieved from your contract!!

Good luck!

• 80
      10th of Nov, 2009

I agree the same thing pretty much happened to me, Directv is by far the lousiest satellite service with the worst customer service, the person who answers the phone NEVER knows and has to transfer you to a different department, goodness it is soooo annoying.

• Lo
      3rd of Jan, 2010

I had a similar experience with the rebate. I signed up my mother for a new account and they said to go directtvrebate.com before the installation to get the $26 rebate. As soon as I hung up the phone, I went to their website and tried to process the rebate. Their "3 Easy Steps" web page looked right, but when I clicked on "View my rebates" nothing happened. An error message popped up saying "system error, call 1-800-531-5000". When I called the number, they were closed. A few days later, I again tried to access the website, same error. I called the number noted above, and the technician claimed she could not help me as she does not have "full access" to the same web page I do. She could not help me navigate through the website, nor explain the reason for the error. Not very helpful, was she? When I refused to hang up until the rebate was processed, she finally said she could process the rebate, but that would reduce the rebate to $21, since she had to help me. Obviously, this is a scam and they are counting on people to forget, or give up. I will be checking my bill closely, I am pretty sure it will not be as promised!

• Zz
      25th of Jan, 2010

I have been with Direct TV for almost a year. I have also been given the same runaround about the rebate. I had called several times and was informed to go online (after I was never sent the link they claimed to have emailed me before installation). When I tried to get my rebate online it always gave me a message that I wasn't eligible for any rebate and to call customer service. I was never told until recently that the rebate expired in 90 days, nor do I have anything in writing stating. The rebate information was not on any bill either. They have record of me calling within my 90 days to question the problems I am having with the rebate. However, they will not honor it since I didn't call back even though I kept trying through the website like they told me to do. I t is definately a scam. That is not the only problems I have encountered since becoming a customer. I have been charged way more on all the bundle services than was told in the begining and they always have an excuse. Now I am locked in for the whole 24 months.

• El
      3rd of Mar, 2010

I had the same thing happen to me. I was a return customer to DTV. The only reason I returned was because I kept getting this offer in the mail(If I came back to DTV I would get a free HD DVR, Free movie channels for 3 months and also the choice package for 29.99 for a year.) Well I didnt receive my bill for 2 months. When I did I noticed I was being charged 75.99 for choice monthly. So I called DTV and they told me that I was supposed to fill out a rebate online. I said I was never informed about this rebate. They told me that it was on my 1st bill. I told them it was not. Then they notice that it was their fault and they forgot to add the rebate so no matter what I would have never been able to do the rebate anyways. So I said thats fine just activate the rebate for me now. They said they couldnt because my 60 days was up for the rebate. At this point I was getting pretty irritated. How can the rebate expire if they never activated it. I told them the only reason I came back to DTV was for this deal and now youre not going to grant it because you(DTV) forgot to add the rebate. They said, "Thats correct sir". So now Im stuck in a 2 year contract paying way more then what was offered. When I asked to speak to a manager they said there was no reason because the manager would tell me the same thing. SO over all I was scammed and now I have to pay for it for 2 years. DTVs customer service and the overall company is ABSOLUTLEY Horrible!!! BUYER BEWARE!! If you have any info on what I can do please email me at etrejo215@roadrunner.com

18th of Mar, 2010

they could not get a bill to my house for a month. mail man luckly new who it was. not even close. tech had right address but thsy could not bill to address. charge me for 2 months and service was hooked up for one month. said it was my problem. they are a piece of crap. service will be cancelled after one year.

• Ro
      7th of Apr, 2010

I signed up with Direct TV through AT & T no where did it say that I had a 2yr. contract with them, my bill went from $35.00 to $75.00 and no one can give me an explanation at Direct TV, I decide to switch to Comcast and now Direct TV is telling me that if I switch I will loose my deposit and owe them $320.00. I never sign anything, help please!
    Peggy

• Cd
      3rd of Aug, 2010

I am a brand new customer to Direct TV as well. I changed service because direct tv was offering such a big discount. After going on line and getting direct advice from a direct tv representative as I was purchasing my plan, he advised me that my bill would be $54.99 per month for 12 months. Of course, I asked him 3 times if this amount is correct and if there were any other charges to which he stated "no other charges". I printed out all the charges and discounts for my records which showed a monthly charge of $54.99. 5 days later I get a bill for $99.99. When I called to dispute the bill, I was then told about the rebate. The respresentative said she would gladly do the rebate for me while I was on the phone with her. After she does it, she tells me because she did it I would not get the full rebate. I asked to speak with a supervisor who was just as [censor]ic as the first rep I spoke with. I was basically told that Direct TV was doing me a favor by giving me all these discounts. This company is run by a bunch of crooks! It's worse than Washington! They scam the consumer into thinking they are getting a fantastic deal and later when your bill comes you find out differently. Plus they have your bank card information and can take out any amount of money from your account that they want and there is nothing you can do about it. They do not want to help the customer at all! They gave me a one time $5 discount and basically told me to they would do nothing more for me. I cannot afford to cancel and be billed all the charges so I will wait until the contract is up and hope I do not have to call them in the mean time. But, I have contact the BBB and have alerted all my friends and family to stay clear of Direct TV.

• Dt
      11th of Sep, 2010

So you did not do your [censor]ing rebates. And who's fault is that. Ignorance is not an excuse.