The most trusted and popular consumer complaints website
Explore your opportunities! Create an account or Sign In

Consumers Energy / over charges

1 United States Review updated:

I divorced my husband and moved out of the house in End of May 09'. I rented a little apartment and had the power transferred out of my name at the marrital house and turned on in his name. I paid the bill current to do so. Seems as though all went smoothly. The power was turned on in my new apartment. I paid my bills. Then in mid March I received a letter from Consumers Energy transfer department stating that a past due amount was going to be added to my current bill. I called to find out the details. I have spoke with 5 different representatives total now. The first 3 gave me completely different stories. One told me it was a bill from 2007, another told me they have no record of having the service switched from my name to my ex-husbands name. Now they state that the bill was transfered out of my name in late July 09'. Now they did transfer the debt (That I was never notified about other than the transfer notice) to my current account and the stated amount is different than the transfer amount. It is 70$ more!! When I brought this to there attention they said that in between the time I was sent to collections more debt had accumulated. How could more debt accumulate? So this bogus debt was sent to collections but the power was not turned off? Do service provided sent you to collections and still provide you service? This whole thing doesn’t make sense. It seems like consumers is just finding a way to screw me and I have no recourse on their monopoly!!! I feel Consumers should be audited!! And I would join in the attempt to prove consumers fraud!

Sort by: UpDate | Rating


  • Co
      13th of May, 2009
    0 Votes

    You may need to show Consumers your lease agreement (date you moved in) or a rent receipt showing when you moved. The new computer system they installed in June 08 messed up a lot of their billing. You may have been caught up in that mess. Don't give up. Contact the MPSC at 1-800-292-9555 and state your case. Be willing to provide the information requested and when you get in touch with a representative from Consumers as a result of your complaint, make sure you ask them to contact any credit/collections agency to remove the ding on your credit history. Good luck.

  • Vo
      29th of Jul, 2015
    0 Votes

    Consumers dug up most of my front lawn the beginning of Oct last year to fix a leak and 10 months later despite 10 calls and promises I still don't have my lawn fixed

Post your comment