Having problems with City Power?

City Power reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Sep 14, 2010. The latest review Motor Vehicle Accident was posted on May 4, 2021. City Power has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 10 reviews. City Power has resolved 0 complaints.

City Power Customer Service Contacts

+27 114 907 000 (Customer Service)
+27 114 907 112 (​​​Tender Queries)
+27 114 907 484 (Metering & Pre-paid Queries)
+27 860 562 874 (Tariffs Queries)
40 Heronmere Rd, Booysens
Thu8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Fri8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
SatClosed
SunClosed

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with City Power Customer Service. Initial City Power complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for City Power above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about City Power. Discuss the issues you have had with City Power and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

City Power Complaints & Reviews

City PowerMotor Vehicle Accident

On the 18 March 2021 my vehicle was in an accident with a City Power Quantam. I have been in contact with the superiors of City Power who advised that they dont have an insurance to repair my vehicle. They referred me to a Third Party and after submitting all necessary documents they now refused to sort my vehicle but wants me to wait for COJ ( Not sure whats that)

The third Party all advised that I shoul go the Legal way and to the Media with regards to the negligence of City Power.

I really dont want to do that but would just like my vehicle sorted ASAP as it is already 1 1/2 months now.

Kindly forward to the relevant department. I am really not getting any joy from the relevant parties that are involved in this matter.

I would appreciate it if this matter is resolved at the earliest.

You can email me [protected]@panachebrand.co.za
or call me on [protected]

I appreciate it if this could be addressed as a matter of urgency.

Shane

Motor Vehicle Accident

City PowerIncorrectly billed for high demand

Date: July 2020
    Account nr [protected]

We have a unoccupied warehouse that uses maybe 22.480kVArh per month, and was always billed accordingly with high demand of 170.000kVA. Since July 2020 we have been billed a high demand of 1, 000.000kVA. I logged a query on the 02/09/2020 (Ref [protected]) with the municipality and no one contacted me. So on the 15/09/2020 I sent a email to David McMahon and he forwarded my email to Jackson Mphakathi and Xolelwa Feleza. Still nothing was done. Then the City of Johannesburg had a open day which I booked the appointment to let them look at my query (ref RC116) on that day a Kholeka and Vusi helped me, they promised me they will look into it. On the 19/11/2020 I received a email that this case has been closed. But nothing has been done to this account.

Incorrectly billed for high demand

City PowerMeter number do not match

2019/03/26
      Municipality account nr [protected]
      stand nr [protected] Roodepoort 237-1Q
      Ref [protected]

Meter was reported to the municipality on the above date, with photos showing the meter number on the premises and the meter number on the account differs. Numerous people from city power visited the premises, but nothing get done. I have send emails, only to get someone visiting the premise to tell me the meter is working. I didn't query the working meter, I queried the number?

Aug 13, 2019

City Power — electricity

electricity often switches off unexpectedly at Tshepisong. after many attempts we have tried to contact the...

Jul 11, 2019

City Power — unexplained electricity outages

The community of Tshepisong is experiencing electricity outages, the community has been striking and whenever...

Jul 04, 2019

City Power — unexpected electricity outages - everyday

The community of Tshepisong, just a few kilometers from Leratong Hospital is experiencing unjustifiable...

City Power — Refund of money

On 4 January 2016, I mistakenly try to buy electricity from City Power for R600.00 by EFT? . When I realized...

Johannesburg

City PowerOverbilling, fraudulent meter installations and offensive staff

We've been up to date with our electric bills, often paying too much. We suddenly received a bill for R8000. When dealing with the city power, we were told that our meter was broken and we had to pay them for a new one. Not only was a new one not installed, but the meter was working and the meter reader company were submitting our monthly utility. We were told to send an e-mail to the complaints department.

However, this morning a representative from the council came to assess the meter, When we let him in, he cut the power and drove off in a fury swearing and accusing us of trying to prevent him from doing his work! Have been trying to deal with City Power but we've been told that they did not authorise the disconnect and are sitting without electricity. Running between loveday street and other branches to no avail.

Overbilling, fraudulent meter installations and offensive staff. It makes me want to scream! Contractors are 'just doing their job' and city power staff are clueless.

City PowerUnfair disconnection, now charged for reconnection

I wrote 2 weeks ago complaining about the fact that City Power does not warn when they cut off electricty. The response was that it was cut because we were overdue. I am pleased to say that that was not the case. I have since registered online and can view our statements. To take you a few months back, our May bill was R2386.67, we paid R2400. June bill was R1458, we paid R1500. July bill was R1660.47, we provisionally paid R1400 and when we got the bill we paid on the 4th the remaining R260. August bill was R1980, I can see on the statement that we provisionally paid R400 on the 27th August, we did not receive a statement and on the 17th of September the power was cut off.

Whoever responded to my complaint did not even check our account. I am going by his or her words that : 'City power does not cut if you owe the latest acc, unless the prevoius months you did not pay then we do disconnection if your acc is in arrears'. Clearly we were not. We were wronged and inconvinienced. Now to top it all, we are charged a reconnection fee of R1370. Based on what? Please rectify the account, I really do not know why City Power is doing this. We do not want to be inconvinienced again.

City PowerCity power cut my electricity without any notice

City power cut my electricity without any notice. Post office delayed my account and although this is not an excuse, not all of us have time chasing up on accounts. The story about them cutting power after you are a month or two late is a huge lie (answer to previous similiar complaint). My account was 100% up to date. Only this month was not paid on the due date because I only go it on the 15th. City power are welcome to look at my account and confirm this. And then they have the cheek, to cut my power before a public holiday. City power thinks they can treat us like garbage. City Power *** big time. You lost a loyal customer. The worst is, I have a tenant in that house who I could not invoice without a valid copy from you. Shame on you...