Conservice / Service

I live in a small condominium that had Conservice as the submetering company. For three years our meters have never worked right. They were just billing each unit with a property average. That is a legal way to do billing, but it is not what we wanted. We wanted to bill individual usage. Now they claim they are not responsible for the meter installation, but if they knew all along that the meters were not working properly and kept dismissing several complaints. We stopped using them and now share the electric bill between all units. I would like to try another submetering company, but I am leary.

Je

Comments

• Ad
      10th of Nov, 2008

i am having the same problem right now, the exact same scenario. I think conservice is a scam, i dont have the time nor resources to attempt to dispute their billing, but i am looking into it. please any1 having issues with conservice email me w/ contact info (name phone number ect) to serve as a fully verifiable informal petition. they are ###ing my whole apartment complex and some1 needs to take a stand.

ajrowe29@uab.edu

• Br
      20th of Nov, 2008

I completely agree with you 100%. The apartment complex I live in uses Conservice and we continue receiving bills, which clearly they have no right in billing us. Our apartment complex offers "free" (allowances) for 4 services: water, sewer, electric and trash. The water is measured by what comes into our apartment faucets, and sewer is measured by what goes out. The sewer is then calculated just a tad higher than the water (convenient). We are given an "allowance" of $10 a month for each tenant for water and sewer, but conveniently, we run up a bill of $20 for water and sewer. Trash is supposed to be covered by our apartment complex, but Conservice is charging us each $10.56 a month for trash removal. Electric is then said to cover $45 a month, which we have yet to see an electric bill, but I'm sure that's soon to come. I have had issues with them for a while now, and I frankly will never live in an apartment complex that uses Conservice as a middle man for billing again. I think they're just a huge scam!!!

• Mo
      15th of Jan, 2009

This is the first year that the apartment complex I have been living in began using Conservice. Ironically, the name seems to fit. The only utility they cover is water, though. Before, our water bill for one unit was $ 30-40 total, maximum, now however, our bills are running 100 total and we have lost one roomy. We have complained time and time again to the apartment complex management and they have adjusted the bill almost every month. My advice to you would be to contact the management and let them deal with Conservice. It seems to be the only way we could get any answers, since every operator at Conservice is a complete idiot. Also, do you have a monthly charge for Conservices services, ours is $3.

• Di
      26th of Apr, 2009

I have had nothing but problems with Conservice. It began with the fact they charge $3 for using a credit card to pay, and coincidentally (or not) the following month my bill never arrived, although when I looked online it said it was mailed in early April. I caught it just in time to send the payment without being late, which would have cost me another $7 for a late fee. I also think the name of this company is appropriate, and have a strange feeling something is just not right with this operation.

10th of May, 2009

Con-Service, told me that they do not receive the $3. monthly service charge; I was told that The $3. went to the landlord. Our apartment community has been using Con-Service for about a year now. They employ a system called a Ratio Utility Billing System; our water bill fluctuates from $52.00 in the winter and fall, to $98.00 in the summer and spring. The landlord is supposed to pay for the landscape watering in the community, they do not. We do not use more water in the summer and spring, but the landlord waters twenty-four times a day during that time. The landlord likes to lay the blame on Con-Service, I have heard every story you can imagine from the landlord but they are the ones who chose Con-Service. It is a ploy to get higher rent at the back door, without letting you know about it when you sign your lease, other that to say the water bill averages $20. and you will pay it. I am not happy with Con-Service but truly the blame for over charging lies squarely on the shoulders of the landlord. The landlord prepares the bill and sends it to Con-Service and Con-Service bills the tenants according to what portion the landlord wishes to pay and what the landlord demands you pay.

• Mi
      11th of Sep, 2009

I was double billed for a month and when I called about it and explained that they had made a mistake (it was clear because the beginning meter read was the same 2 months in a row) the woman practically called me a liar and said that I wasn't double billed. I showed the bills to my landlord and he agreed that it was wrong but this woman wouldn't admit she was mistaken. I asked who I could talk to above her and she told me "nobody".

In the end I did get a credit but I will never trust this company.

• Wi
      28th of Oct, 2009

conservice is used in jacksonville by vestcor inc on their downtown buildings, the carling and eleven east. conservice is a scam; the tenants have moved out in droves and managment constantly claims they are taking care of it, but it never gets taken care of. what happens is tenants are lured into renting new complexes with the understanding there will be no water bill. no garbage bill. no sewer bill. no pesticide bill. it is all suppose to be computed into the lease rent rate. so you sign up thinking you are dealing with honorable people and that the rent rate covers all of it, as you are told. but then the surprise comes when your first year is up and you want to sign a new lease. after all, who wants to move after just one year of getting settled? well, hidden in that new and bigger lease is lots of sneaky language including the CONservice. it is a con, because the building owners know they have you by the neck since you are already moved in and now comfortable, so you start getting 20 dollar a month "water" bills, which start growing like a cancer with add-ons like trash, then pesticide, then sewer, and the bill starts fluctuating depending on how much management thinks they can choke out of you. don't kid yourself, there is a huge kickback to the building owners. further, you get hit with ten dollar late fees due to conservice deliberately not sending the bills with enough time to make the payment. if you pay their erroneous billed amount, but not the b.s. late fee of ten bucks, they then add ten bucks late fee on the ten bucks late fee you did not pay. it is all a scam in cahoots with the building managment and owners, and they feed the tenants like mushrooms: keep them in the dark and dish the b.s. further, the building owner gets away with making the tenants share in paying the entire building water costs, be it landscaping, hosing down pavement, washing maintenance vehicles... you get the picture. so where is the united states government in regulating this ripoff on the american public? this is a like a ponzi scheme, and certainly is illegal. best bet, NEVER rent unless your original lease guarantees that you will never have a water bill, even if you renew your lease. attorneys need to get on this as a huge class action suit. ~submitted by a wing and a prayer

• Da
      28th of Jan, 2010

My building uses Conservice. I live in 430sqf studio and my bill increases every month (usage stays the same). I started at $30 and now it $70. Sewer rate just doubled compare to last month (November). I constantly ask question what am I billed for?

• Bi
      9th of Aug, 2010

We moved out of a CONservice complex at Mays' end and we will never move into a place that uses a 3rd party utilities provider ever again. In all fairness I have to admit that it was the staff at our complex that caused us to get late charges by their not posting our payments on time, Iam still not sure if we got a refund on these or not. We always paid our rent & utilities on or before the 3rd of each month, never were late.

• Je
      31st of Aug, 2010

We live in Georgia. We had another company that we went with two years ago and our water bill was around 30 to 45 a month now we are with conservice and we pay 60 to 80 bucks a month. I don't kn ow what is going on but our apartment manager says that we have a meter and it is right. I was told before that we had no meters and it was a pull between apartments. I do not understand if we have a meter why can't we have our own bill through the county and why do we have to go through a third party? Somethng isnt right...either conservice is ripping us off or our apartments are. Is there anything we can do?

1st of Sep, 2010

Jenn, Your apartment manager is lying to you. If your apartment unit had it own meter the meter rate and usage would be posted on your Con-Service bill. Your apartment complex has opted for Con-Service to use a system called Ratio Utility Billing System (RUBS) and it uses various formulas to allocate utility costs. You have just been duped by the most recent way apartment owners have of getting more rent out of your without having to pay taxes, because they do not have to claim the extra money they make off of you as income. They also add in all the water the complex uses and let us not forget the service fee the complex now charges you for the convenience of ripping you off. Although Con-Service is not the one pocketing the fees and overcharges it is the facilitator of the greed that drives the overpricing. It is illegal in several states to use this method (R.U.B.S.), Massachusetts being one of them. There is little recourse for you, Sorry, but at least now you know you are being lied to, and how you are being charged.

22nd of Sep, 2010

Is it possible to execute a class-action law suit against this company in California because I'm tired of being taken advantage of. Not only living in this apartment complex akin to living in government housing (terrible) to add insult to injury this conservice is a rip-off and this needs to stop. People need to stop being soo passive - no wonder Wallstreet has stolen so many of ours hard-earned pensions.

22nd of Sep, 2010

Again it is not the company CON-service that is the real rip-off. Your landlord is the one profiting from this heavily. Report your landlord to the I.R.S., have them look into how he is filing his taxes concerning the water income, and charge offs, IT WORKS. As far as late fees, your landlord is responsible for filing the water bill with CON-service in a timely manner. It is your landlord fault if they file the water bill late with Con-service and it is your landlord that receives the late charges if they are posted against you. Although I agree with everyone about what a rip-off “Ratio Utility Billing System (RUBS)” is, it is your Landlord that stands to profit and only your landlord, If you want to sue someone, sue your landlord or turn him over to the I.R.S. for tax evasion. I promise it works.

• Fa
      1st of Oct, 2010

This company is a joke. I live in Georgia at an apartment complex where Conservice bills for water, sewage, trash, and electric. All of the apartments here have thier own electric meters, but if you call Georgia Power they don't even have a record of the address where you live. They only have a record of the leasing office address in which the leasing office recieves one bill for the entire commmunity. Call Conservice with your address and they have your address, but they can't give you your meter number and I have NEVER, in the near 7 months I have been here, even seen a meter reader step onto this property. I met a neighbor who found that their meter had been misread. His Conservice bill stated one reading which was different than what he had read himself. This renter had previously been in the meter reading business for 30 years, so he knew how to read meters. He found that the difference in his reading and what Conservice stated they had read was very wrong. Conservice had charged him for 1, 000 kilowatt hours more than his readings. When he called them and asked to have his meter reread, they stated they do not send meter readers out for that and also could not give him his meter number. I think he was compensated, but I was told by this gentleman to read my own meter every last day of each month and compare it to the reading Conservice says they have read from my bill and go from there. I have found my bill to be very high to be living in an apartment where no one is at home for at least 10 hours of the day. I have read my meter for this month and I am waiting for my next bill. If there are ANY discrepencies I will be contacting the I-TEAM investigators of FOX NEWS.

2nd of Oct, 2010

I have to state again, it is your landlord that reads the meter, and your landlord that sets the rate per kilowatt that you are charged. They are re-selling the electricity that the electric company provides to them and they charge you at any rate they please. Con-Service is just a billing service; they tally up the numbers your landlord supplies to them. They do not profit from charging you, they are paid a fee by your LANDLORD to handle the billing for your LANDLORD. IT IS YOUR LANDLORD THAT IS RIPPING YOU OFF!!! Con-Service just takes the beating; because that is the service they provide, to hide the fact that it is your LANDLORD ripping you off. GO AFTER YOUR LANDLORD!!!

• La
      29th of Dec, 2010

Will be filing a complaint with the IRS

• La
      29th of Dec, 2010

will be filing the complaint with the IRS

17th of Jan, 2011

Similar issues at another residential community billed by Conservice.

• Fa
      17th of Jan, 2011

If you live in California, call the Dept. of Weights and Measures for your county. They handle all the complaints.
    Email a copy of your bill to us (delete all personal info and account numbers) and we will look at it and tell you if they are doing anything illegal. All we need is the usage part of the bill and fees associated with it. fairwaterbilling@yahoo.com

• Li
      5th of Jun, 2018

@Fair Water Billing i live in mass and Avalon communities canton mass they been ripping me off for 5 years im a single mom low income they charge me 105 a month or more for water Im left with no food etc after rent is paid and water bill not fair. please contact me 617-513-7926

Lisa Prisinzano

• Co
      19th of Jan, 2011

This is a terrible, terrible company and, like its name literally says, is a con of a service. I am paying higher bills than I have *ever* paid in any other residence - my watter bill is roughly $40 less than my electricity bill! I tried using the website for payments, but it doesn't even breakdown my charges other than separating one charge for water and one for sewer. Really, my sewer charge is 2x to 3x my water charge? Then, making no change on my own, the website login stopped working. I can't reset because it wants the password which, amazingly, no longer works. I just need to call the company, right? Except I never get through - phones that ring endlessly or waiting in a queue to be magically dropped. They do offer a phone payment system (which magically doesn't drop calls...) but that is another $3.00 in charges.

Absolutely terrible, terrible service. This is a company that does nothing bt con renters out of money.