Citibank / customer abuse

United Arab Emirates Review updated:
2.5
Never in my life have I experienced worst service over the past 8 months then with citibank dubai.

I am a vice president of a company. My company credit card and personal credit card were cancelled by citibank with a text notification the day before saying it had been compromised. I was in india as I travel alot and tried to pay muy hotel bill but couldnt. I then called citibank spoke to 8 people asked for a manager to phone me back but nothing. They would not and refused to tell me what transaction they think was fraudulent and would not send me formal notification so I could provide my finance department.

My debit card recently got cancelled also due to fraud. One text message was sent to my old mobile number. I have proof that weeks before I had changed my mobile number with the whole of citibank. To try get it activated I spoke to 9 people they reissued the card, I was told that I was not allowed to speak to a supervisor or manager and was spoken to very badly the customer agent told me they were trained to not say sorry to any customer or apologise to anyone. I took time off work and drove
30 minutes to the branch to collect my card. I was sent to 4 different divisions before iwas able to retrieve it.

Then to activate my card I needed to log onto internet banking. The same line has been there for two days "we are experiencing temporary delays please try again later" I tried to call their customer care department to try and help - I waited 3 times longer then 10 minutes for the citigold supposed 24 hour helpline to pick up and then and I quote "11 minutes" for lost or stolen card (I thought at least they would answer) but no one has picked up yet.
To date I cannot access my money in my account due to inactivation of my debit card. I had to borrow money to pay petrol and taxis.

I am appauled - I am cancelling everything with citibank and suggest you do the same.
Just for your information I consult in the development of credit bureaus globally in emerging markets. I deal on a daily basis with all banks to assist them in reengineering their processes to become more effective and share data and to date this is the worst bank I have encountered.
I hope that at least someone from citibank can contact me to at the very least assist in activating my card.
Gi

Comments

Gi
  19th of Oct, 2008
just to put an update on this
my debit card finally came but my credit card was cancelled again :) they still have my old nubmers on thier accounts so i have been scolded three times by call centre reps about changing it - I changed it formally and have proof 3 months ago, 2 months ago and twice in the last 2 weeks :)

oh and i just got a phone call from the corporate finance saying that because my new company doesnt have a corporate account they cant grant me a personal loan for a property deposit until i persuade my new company to take out an account :)
should we talk about KYC and AML here ???
Sh
  12th of Nov, 2008
Dear Sir,

I have used my debit cum ATM card for the purchasing of new tyres . As per statement received from citi bank for the month of Oct 2008, Two times transaction done for one time purchasing .

I have signed only one bill against the transaction.

So kindly nalify the one tranction and credit the said amount of Rs. 2000 in my account.

Shop Name : STANDARD TYRES &BATTE, GURGAON
Transaction Ref. No. 000000004025, 829908242302 ( Both transaction)
Date : 25th October 2008
Card No. 5081********3905
Card Holder ; Shalabh kaushik, 1732-B, Sec-10A, Gurgaon, Haryana, pin 122001
Email : shalabh5746@yahoo.co.in
Mobile : 09810609105

Waiting for the fast reply.

Regards

Shalabh kaushik
Mu
  18th of Nov, 2008
Worst ever customer service and humiliation I had with CITI BANK -DUBAI

I am a CITI BANK Dubai Visa and Master Card Holder since last 10 year and always make regular monthly payments toward my Visa and Master Card payments.
Since I am a bank officer in local bank in UAE I always remit funds through SWIFT MT 103 and it happened very often they pass wrong entries and credit both the installments of visa and master card payments in one account then call rudely to pay monthly installment again as they can not reverse their wrong entries due to system problem.
Once I delayed payment till end of month and upon received of call from CITI Bank Dubai told them you may charge me for late payment and the called in harsh tome replied " we do not need your late payment charges" then sent SMS on my mobile that they repeatedly requested me for minimum payment which I failed to do and as a result they are blocking my card.
I got Renewed Visa Gold card and did not activate the same due to their insulting behavior and unprofessional way of dealing like policeman with thief.
Last month October 2008, I sent my monthly card payment for both Visa and Master Cards and in November received phone call that I did not deposit minimum payment for my visa Gold Card.
When I referred my electronic payment which I already made, it was revealed that they deposited visa card payment also in my Master Card account.
Again they refused to reverse their entry and rectify the error instead threatened me to deposit additional amount for Visa Card payment.
That is harassment and the worst abuse to force customer to be suffered for bank's mistake. Then suddenly I got SMS on my cel 050-6286356 from CITI bank Dubai cel 971506454876 stating the same lies that despite their repeated requests ( I received just one phone call) I failed to pay the minimum monthly installment and if I do not pay by the same evening till 06.p.m they will take action against me .
I feel so insulted and humiliated and now the reason for CITI Bank's loss which is resulting to retrenchment could be understood easily.
I will never look to CITI BANK in my life for any sort of Banking and advise the same to others.
Ga
  22nd of Jan, 2009
I have received exactly the same treatment. I have spent the last week trying to speak to somebody and have bene told a pack of lies by numerous Citibank staff. I am not sure if they are natural liars or incompetent. I am clsoing my account.

Citibank Logo Citibank