Citibank / bank is a ripoff

1 Sioux Falls, SD, United States Review updated:

Citibank sucks! I had a Shell and Exxon Mobil account for

almost a year. I had no problems with these accounts up

until recently. I used them responsibily and when I did

either paid the entire balance or at the very least more than

minimum. I recently applied for a Goodyear, Big O Tire and

Brandsource accounts all of which I was approved for at

mind you 28.99% APR. All of a sudden, I receive 2 frantic

calls from Citibank wanting to know if my identity was

stolen. I laughed and stated no, that I did, indeed apply for

all 3 cards. The next thing you know, I receive an email the

very next day from the credit review department stating

that all of my cards had been cancelled despite the fact

that all of them were responsibily being taken care of. They

"claimed" that the credit bureau sent them information

indicating that I had applied for "too many cards" (but if

that is the case, why did they just approve me for the 3

cards and to add insult to injury, even sent them to me?)
I do NOT recommend applying to Citibank, they pick and

choose anyone they like, cancel anyones account at

anytime and are a ripoff to begin with. Their customer

service reps are rude, smart mouthed and disrespectful. I

have also complained to the Better Business Bureau, but

they simply mirror the messages to me from Citibank.

CFPB also did not help me at all. Citibank wouldn't even tell

CFPB the the reason the accounts were closed.

Un
Apr 23, 2015

Comments

De
  2nd of Jul, 2007
CitiBank - Frequent calls even after I have refused!
India

There have been frequent calls from 9144-43960700. Somebody who calls himself Bala has been calling me for the past 1 week even after I've refused the offer. Nowadays he justs gives me missed calls to pester me.

Am
  14th of Feb, 2008
CitiBank - Debit Cards
Medusind Solutions
India
yahoo.com

I Opted for Grocery card in Dec.07'. Till todate,i've not received the card and they have deactivated my existing ATM Card , saying that as they have sent the grocery card, i can not use my ATM now. I have my salary account in citibank and unable to make transactions without thew card

Me
  9th of May, 2009
CitiBank - No cust. service
citibank.com

I got so frustrated with CitiBank I closed my account. They are simply not worth the frustration. They may have won the battle but they lost the war... I took my business elsewhere. I can fully understand why they are in so much financial trouble. So, if you're having problems with them, just close your account and go somewhere else!

Ma
  29th of Jun, 2009
CitiBank - Finance charges
Sears
Kennesaw
Georgia

I have had an account with Sears for 20 years. They sent me a different credit card and when I used it I was getting bills with three different Finance charges. One for old card one for new card and one for ???????????/. I closed the account and will not do anymore business with them.

De
  26th of Jan, 2010
CitiBank - cant pay on line
Indiana

im tryiny to register my credit to pay on line and it saids account number not valid. i called citibank and they gave me the website www.payment.citi.com and it still takes me to the web i went to before and still wont let me register my account i guess i will just mail the darn thing thanks in advance for your help in this situation

sincerely
Dennis R. Bridgewater

St
  15th of Feb, 2010
CitiBank - No one at Citi is competent to solve any problem
citibank.com

This is simple... for over 1 year I have been frustrated and unable to use my debit card! Through 10 conversations, changes of pins and assurances nothing has changed. Now I have moved, and they will not send new pin codes to my new address because it is not the on-line registered address. No one at Citi is competent to solve any problem as far as I can see. The next step is the financial ombudsman so I can try to get them censured.

Tr
CitiBank - I am very upset at Citibank
citibank.com

I am very upset at Citibank . They have charged me over $748.00 in overdraft fees within the last 6 weeks. They have poor customer service, speak very rare english. Not helpful in reversing fees. I don't see how they can be going bankrupt, they charge $34.00 on each item, they are making money off us consumers.

Ro
  25th of Feb, 2010

Very strongly agree. I was charged an over draft fee even though they returned the check. Once I saw that I was under on my account I deposited the money the next business day around 1PM. I would have deposited it the same day but it was already after business hours. Citi bank held my money even though they did not pay the check, causing other online payments not to go through. When I called about this matter I was told that I only had untill 11AM that business day to cover the money and that is why the check was returned. So two hours late and a few dollars under limit cost me over $300 in late fees and returned check fee.

Ti
  25th of Feb, 2010

So stop spending money you don't have. Problem solved.

Ja
  25th of Mar, 2010
CitiBank - Deposit Account Fee Abuse
Citibank

CitiBank extorted unearned low balance service charges from me by leaving my deposit account open after I withdrew my entire balance and then sent Citi a secure message that I wanted that withdrawal to close my accounts.

Ja
  4th of Apr, 2010

after my post here, Citi reduced my balance from their charges to zero and closed my accounts.

Kr
  17th of May, 2010
CitiBank - I will never buy anything from Sears again
citibank.com

Citi (Sears MasterCard) reviewed my account and reduced my credit line to $300 and sent a letter with factors supporting their decision which are not true. I owe a small amount, don't pay late and have had the Sears account 30 years. I will never buy anything from Sears again.

Tv
  24th of Jul, 2010
CitiBank - Mistakenly charge me again and again
citibank.com

Being charged with Shared ATM charges Education access and other charges for using the ATM card in non citi Bank ATMs for the past 4 months inspite of having a facility for my corporate account where in i can make 10 transactions without any charges.

Telephone charges i have incurred for the past 4 months to call the customer service, to complain about the issue.But still am being charged every month again and again.

Bj
  16th of Aug, 2010
CitiBank - unauthorised billing
Philippines

i recieved unauthorised charging on my citibank account 9.95$ and 6.95$ from wpi*ifriend2-ph elite. pls. stop that anauthorised billing from my account...

BJB

Sm
  19th of Aug, 2010
CitiBank - Seems like they need something extra to do their job
citibank.com

This Mr pradipto kumar biswas, well paid employee of citibank, need SOMETHING extra from me, to do the job assigned to him by the bank.

Ka
  29th of Oct, 2010
CitiBank - unauthorized deduction
Pennsylvania

Citibank is the worst credit card company period. They deducted a payment from my checking almost a month early, and now after repeated phonecalls still have not returned my money. This deduction has also caused overdrafts in my checking account which also have not been returned. The managers and staff have given me the continual runaround each time I contact them.

Ml
  29th of Oct, 2010

They have messed up my account as well. Unauthorized withdrawel of $1000 to pay my Citibank credit line because they decided to lower our limit. And, no my account was not and has never been delinquent. Report them to the OCC at helpwithmybank.com because they tend to overstep boundaries quite often.

Ki
  4th of Feb, 2011
CitiBank - Never Used Card Or Activated

i have gotten a citibank card in the mail in 2008 and i have never used the card nor activated the card as a result they still lached on the payment for the unused card which was not used or activated
citibank can and will be idiots all the time

Yl
  4th of Feb, 2011

A long time ago, something like this happened to me but not with Citibank. It's a minor bank. Since I didn't solicit the card and I didn't activate the unsolicited card, I ignored the first bill which asked for the some setup or yearly fee or something. The next month, I got another bill which had tacked on a late-payment fee. Again, I wouldn't stoop to taking it seriously. I actually thought it was funny and I experimented with how far this idiocy would continue. The third month, I got a bigger bill with another late-fee charge. I think I let it go to a fourth cycle. Finally, I decided that this had gone far enough. I decided to call the customer service of this credit card company which I was not an activated member. At least I got a very nice and polite representative who wondered why I didn't call in the first place and let this thing spiral out of control. She cancelled everything and then I warned her to get out of this fraudulent company.

No matter how ridiculously idiotic this scenario is, I urge people to take these dumb mistakes seriously. Call the customer service and state in no uncertain terms that they made a mistake and you are not an activated card member.

Bo
  9th of Mar, 2011
CitiBank - They have got to be total rip-off artists
CitiBank

They send me this "offer" for their Credit Card -- which I do not need.

Then, in the fine print, they say if I am late on any of my other debts -- which NEVER happens -- they will raise my interest rate.

They have got to be total rip-off artists. I say drop dead, CITIBANK.