Chase - Marriott Visa Credit Card / cheats customer with wrong and bogus information

1 PO BOX 94014Palatine, IL, United States Review updated:

Chase Marriott Visa Credit Card provided 0% APR on balance transfer to me for 6 months. I borrowed $20,000 on 11/2007, and I paid minimum payment afterwards monthly. I paid on 1/23 for Jan's payment which was 4 days' late due to my travel.

1) My first call to customer service:

On 1/23, Right after I made the late minimum payment, I called the customer service to explain the late reason and asked to restore my 0% back. I was told that he would submit a request for me and there should not be any problem to restore my 0% APR back. However, he told me to call back after 1/28/08 to make sure it would still be 0% APR.

2) My 2nd phone call:

After 1/28 (forgot the actual date), I made call again, I was told there is no previous request to restore my 0% APR, but she submit the request now and there should be no problem to restore 0% APR.

3) On 2/12, chase cardmember service wrote me a letter, I did not read it till 3/2/08

In the letter, it says:

The promotional balance is still active. However, in accordance with the term associated with your account, you may lose the promotional APR as of the first day of the billing cycle in which a default occurs. If this is the case, your next billing statement will indicate that your promotional APR has changed to your standard APR.

---------------

On 02/2008 's statement, they do charge me over $260 finance charge and $39 late fee.

---------------

If I was told that I would lost my promotional APR earlier, I would pay my full balance in Jan, 2008 to avoid furture finance change, but I just know it for sure now. I just paid my balance in full since I was told the interest is 15.99% and accumulate daily.

Va

Comments

• Te
      31st of Jan, 2009

I totally agree that this is cheating the customer.
    I have religiously paid my installment everymonth on time for 3 years. I closed my account to keep the interest rate from rising.
    This month I forgot to pay and was late by 4 days.
    I pleaded with them to retract the fee and reduce the amount of APR but they refused.
    It went up from 14.99% to 28.99% just for one late payment in all this time.
    I wish someone would create a class action suite against these people.
    No other credit card does this to you.
    I still think American Express is the best.

• Te
      26th of Feb, 2009

Love Marriott/Hate Chase..I had problems with Chase before so I am closing my account...When I received my first bill they tacked on $31.oo in finances charges this was my first statement from them. It seems they charge $23.40 to balance transfer and finance charges tacked on to that no usual grace period but this was not disclosed online where I applied in the first place. I was not even informed that was accepted or if the balance transfer went through and there was no way to contact them to close the account or change the balance transfer.

I also had a bad experience when I had a no hassle airline points card from Chase. They kept changing the rules so I could not claim my reward flight miles. It was a nightmare and very much of a hassle. I will never use Chase again for any of my credit card or banking needs.

• 86
      28th of Mar, 2011

What don't you understand about the meaning of "late"??